A short story about string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gollum, Apr 15, 2005.

1. stellarindia01

stellarindia01 New Member

Hi,

I think You needlessly risk injury, when you could achieve the same result, or better, by disciplined practice. I also think that your idea is not so good so don't think about that and try this one.

Stella

2. Jughead Jones

Jughead Jones Regular Member

Accountant
    Hi, i'm a high beginner player, wats the best tension for Ti-10 3rd gen racquet? i plan to have it strung with bg66 @ 22lbs...is it ok? i have read that Extra stiff rackets should be strung at lower tensions, is it true? Thanks!

3. Burger_King

Burger_King Regular Member

nothing at the moment
    You can easily string a ti-10 to 30 pounds.
    I would say that 22 pounds sounds good for you,
    but if you want more durability go with bg-65.

4. Nednil15

Nednil15 New Member

student
    Hey, im a lower end intermediate player with an AT250 (3U-G3) and i've had the racket for a couple months now and i've noticed that the strings are much looser and starting to fray so im in the market looking for a new string. However, im not sure of the tension i should have put on it because i dont know what the stock tension was (between 20-25 lbs.) though i realize now that i am more of a deffensive player i was hoping someone could reccomend a good string and tension?

P.S. i wouldn't mind something that could help my smash either :p

Thanks a million,

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

chances are it was strung at 18-20 pounds. any string will do, try BG65, 80, 85.

6. Nednil15

Nednil15 New Member

student
    Thanks for the advice! I do like the sound of the high repulsion power of the BG80/85 but im still not sure of the tension. Being a slightly more defensive player looking to improve on offence a bit would a higher tension affect my control much? Sorry for all the noob questions haha and thanks again!

7. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

np. a rule of thumb is, higher tension= more control, lower= more power. However, it is better seen as the fact that if you can flex the strings at a high tension, you will gain more power from it. Chances are going up in tension will increase your power and control a bit. 22-24 pounds is a good bet.

8. charlestsy

charlestsy Regular Member

Graphic
  9. charlestsy

charlestsy Regular Member

Graphic
    Recommendation : Yonex BG66 start with 23 lbs, these will give power to your smash, maybe lose a bit on control but these takes skill to amend.
    The string may last 2 months if you find your control is still great, then stick to this setting, find the same guy who did this, restring with BG66 again.

If your hitting is not to target quiet often, same string but 24 lbs. increase a pound until you've feel you have the same power the next time. ;)

10. thefantasy100

thefantasy100 Regular Member

student
    i hve a question that normally stringers tell me that they can only string upto 24lbs is it true that special kind of machines r required to string at high tensions

11. thefantasy100

thefantasy100 Regular Member

student
    i hve a question that normally stringers tell me that they can only string upto 24lbs is it true that special kind of machines r required to string at high tensions:confused::eek:

12. quintessence

quintessence Regular Member

Certified Badminton Coach
    String Tension

String tension is a relative thing. It depends on the humidity, weather temperature, and air pressure, and of course the strength of your opponents.

In Denmark, the norm is 16 lbs. In Canada, the norm is 18 lbs in winter and 24 in summer. Here in Canada, if you string to 27 lbs in the winter, you are rarely able to drive the bird 44 feet from end to end! When your opponents hit hard, you need a higher tension for better control. When you are a weaker player, you need a lower tension to drive deeper to the rear of the court.

That's why the shuttle itself has a speed rating from #76 (slower shuttle for temp 30 C) to #80 (extremelt fast for temp 10 C).

#77 - 25C
    #78 - 20C
    #79 - 15C

If you want better power and control, try a 0.68mm or 0.66mm string. Gosen's Alan and Susi special 0.66mm 22GA is my favourite string.

#152 quintessence, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. John_badm

John_badm Regular Member

highschool, hulebäcksgymnasiet mölnlycke sweden
    the last thing you said probably make sens, arc-z slash is recomended to be strung to a maximum of 25ibs....

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So Gollum have you found you tension yet ? What you playing with now ?

I have went from 19lbs prestrung rackets about 2 years ago, to 26lbs NS9900 and 25lbs Victor SW35, both with VS850 string. I seem to be handeling them both fine, not sure about durability yet, hopefully it will last me 6+ weeks at 26lbs

15. newbie85

newbie85 New Member

slacking
    Im newbie, juz started to play badminton 2 months ago. I would like to ask for suitable tension for apacs tantrum 200 for beginer like me.

16. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Welcome to the community!

First of all, what have you been playing with? Do you have experience with stringers (the person) and string tension and type?

17. newbie85

newbie85 New Member

slacking

Im playing with apacs hot fusion 7770 and apac nano 900 with 23-25 lbs. I juz start playing badminton and not very close with the stringers haha..

what type of string and pressure shall I put on my new tantrum 200?

18. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Generally, stronger players should play with extra stiff rackets, and therefore they should probably play with higher tensions as well since their swings are faster. The entire racket, string, and string tension must be in sync to get the best play out of that combination.

With regards to the z slash, the recommended tension is simply something Yonex puts for warranty purposes. Their rackets can be strung at higher tensions, but then the risk of breaking becomes higher and thus replacing them would cost more too. If you string a racket within their recommended tension and you somehow break the racket (not from clashing, but just from a normal shot), then you are eligible for a free replacement. If you compare the z slash max recommended tension of 25lbs to that of other Yonex rackets, you'll find that it's slightly higher. For instance, the Armortec 900s say 22-24lbs. This is simply a result of newer technology enabling the frame to withstand slightly more force, therefore Yonex is comfortable in increasing the max recommended tension.

19. kewlboi

kewlboi Regular Member

accounting manager
    i started playing last year. i underwent constant training and i play at least 3 times a week, for a minimum of 3 hours per session. i can say that after a year, im an advanced beginner. i started at Class E in a local club, now i play under Class B. i play doubles and i mostly smash and place shots. defense is ok but i find it weak compared to my offense. i'm using RSL millenium heat 9500 with gamma supreme control grip. i tried stringing it at 25 lbs using BG66. at first, the repulsion and feel felt great. after 5 days of stringing and the feel upon impact of the shuttlecock feels brittle. i cant explain it quite well since im not a pro like you guys but i just feel that my shots are dry and brittle. those are the two words that best describe it. it doesnt feel like a new string. it feels like the string that was strung at high tensions and left in the closet for a month.

i just have three questions:

1) is the combination of medium flex (near stiff), slightly head-heavy, BG66 at 25lbs optimum for an attacking/controlled shots advanced beginner player?

2) is the string supposed to feel brittle after a week? or is it due to other factors like improper tension, wrong post-game care of the racket or changing weather conditions (here in the philippines, the weather changes from hot to rainy and cold)

3) would the experts here propose a better combination of string and string tension for my game?

its been 4 months since im in the dilemma of finding the balance of racket, grip, string and tension. i'm just lack string and tension. i need expert advice on this since most of the people im playing with are fanatics of high tensions meaning they all play at 26 lbs or higher but i can beat some of them which means that tension is definitely not everything.

hope to hear from the pros.

thanks.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, I'm definitely not a pro, since I've only played for 7 months now (4 times a week), but what you described sounded like normal tension loss. Most strings tend to lose tension in the first week (dont know if that applies to the BG66), and I've had the same problem before when a nicely strung racket suddenly lost power and feeling - the tension reduced by ~2lbs. Now that I play with a BG80, the tension is pretty stable, so I dont have that problem anymore.
    My advice would be to either a) try a different string (that doesnt lose much tension, e.g. the BG80) or b) restring the racket with 1-2lbs more, that way the tension will be too high initially, but will drop to 25 in about a week. If you trained hard in the last year, the tension seems fine to me, by the way - I string my singles rackets @22-25 and my less head-heavy doubles rackets @23-26, and I dont have problems with that. Depends on your skills and technique, my coach is a really good player but is fine with ~19-20lbs since he wont break more than 2 strings a year that way....or even less. If I play with those tension, my control is gone, and my smashes lack power. So its really a personal thing that you need to experiment with a little.