Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge 2012 (BACBC)

Discussion in 'USA West' started by badpp, Mar 5, 2012.

1. badpp

badpp Regular Member

Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge (BACBC) 2012
    Date: Sunday, May 20, 2012
    Time: 8:30am - 9:30pm
    Venue: Bay Area, Northern California
    --------------------------------------------
    BACBC 2008, 7 companies participated.
    BACBC 2009, 14 companies participated.
    BACBC 2010, 15 companies participated.
    BACBC 2011, 24 companies participated.

To date, we are expecting greater than 24 companies this year.

If your company is interested in participating or sponsoring the event, please visit the sites below for more info:
    BACBC website: https://sites.google.com/site/bayareacorporatebaddychallenge/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bay-Area-Corporate-Badminton-Challenge-BACBC/124392760923002

2. fourdims

fourdims Regular Member

Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge 2012

Again, Cisco won the trophy, Qualcomm is the runner-up and the third place is Oracle.

From what I saw, the badminton skill levels for Bay Area (ok, corporately) are getting better each year. Great team like EBay did not even get into the semifinal. Genetech did.

It was an really exciting event. There were 500 players from all the companies in the bay area. I left at 11:00pm and the final was still going on.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the results is:

Division A:

Cisco
    Qualcomm
    Oracle

Division B:

Brocade
    Supermicro
    HP

it was an awesome turn out with 32 teams and 500+ players.

4. fourdims

fourdims Regular Member

kwun, how did the seeds get selected? Of the eight teams which made the quarterfinal last year, seven teams were seeded, except your favorite NVidia. Also, HP made the playoff last year (one of the 12 teams) and is drawn into the same group as Oracle and NVidia. Of course, it did not mean the group was the toughest because Brocade and Supermicro were ahead of HP in the Division B. I assume their groups must be very tough too.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i didn't do the seeding selection, but i think it was selected based on the number of matches won last year.

aside from the 8 seeds, all the companies are randomly drawn. so HP could've fallen anywhere. it was pretty tough group that NV was in. we had a 3 way tie between Oracle, NVIDIA and HP. at the end, it came down to the number of matches we won. NVIDIA edged out with 22, Oracle 21, and HP 20. it was pretty close.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes, it was kinda strange that we didn't use the quarterfinal entries for the seeds. but then at the time, i didn't feel like complaining as i was the org and seems like it would be selfish to object to a decision made. so i let it be.

and i am glad that i didn't, cause we had some really excellent and exciting close matches against Oracle and HP. the results being so close really tells the whole story. in the end we knew it could be a 3 way tie and it could come down to games and point for the decision so i had my team pretty much fight for every game and every point.

and what better bragging right are there than to be able to beat Oracle?? ;)

7. fourdims

fourdims Regular Member

It would be better to be decided by the net wins of matches, net win of games instead of just the toal. Of course, it is not that important.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    define what you mean by net win?

9. fourdims

fourdims Regular Member

The games you won minus the games you lost.

Use soccer's goals as example.

A beat B by 5:0
    A lost C by 0:1
    Now, if B beat C by the score of 10:9. B and C won the division. That is not fair.

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I tend to agree. That's what I thought initially.

In badminton, if A beats B 2:1, and C beats B 2:0, the results might suggest that C is stronger than A. After all, C beats B in two straight games, and B takes 3 games. This would also be the result if net win is used.

However, what's lost in the soccer analogy, and the simple example above, is the score within each game. E.g. if A beats B 21-5, 27-29, 21-5 (exaggerated) and C beats B 29-27, 29-27, then this could suggest a completely different story. B and C are actually very close, while A can beat B by a wide margin, except something seem unusual in 2nd game.

Not sure what the alternative is though... Perhaps "net points won" could be considered?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That confused me. This analogy isn't very good. Using soccer (where the number goals are not capped unlike badminton), they will go for aggregate scores. So A has the best 'goal difference' I.e. margin of win and comes top. It's been like that for decades.;)

Although I wasn't there :), I am sure a competition of this size would have had this sorted out to avoid ambiguity. Number of games won is very fair. Going down to points is pretty reasonable.

Probably it was made clear beforehand how the ranking is made on results - if it is unfair, I doubt there would have been so much participation.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't really see a problem. Scores will always have an element of random variation. See this all the time in sports.

13. fourdims

fourdims Regular Member

Actually, all the matches, games and points were considered, and in that order. My suggestion was to substitute matches(won), games and points with net matches, net games and net points.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Each method has its pros and cons. I dont disagree with you if there are a small number of matches. Over a large number of matches, the effect becomes increasingly minimal to a point of whether it really is worth the effort or not.

Secondarily, a simpler system makes things a lot easier for everybody to understand and saves the organisers a lot of time from 'scoring update enquiries' from participants. LOL

15. fourdims

fourdims Regular Member

You are probably right. I dont want to make it as a complaint about the event. It was a great event. Because of the format, people have to devise some strategy against opponents. Sometimes, you give up XD and try to get WD. Sometimes, it is the other way around. For MDs, how to arrange the pair and order is important too.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    just curious, are the players mostly of Asian ethnicity?

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i'd say 95% Asian of many Asian Ethnicities.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this year we have 32 teams with a total of 522 players registered. by far the largest as well as the most successful BACBC ever.

the teams are:

ABC
    Armanino McKenna LLP
    Brocade
    Cal Water
    Cisco
    EBay
    Facebook
    Genentech
    Google
    HP
    IBM
    IDT
    Intel/McAfee
    Juniper
    Kaiser Permanente
    Lam Research/Novellus
    Life Technologies
    Marvell
    Microsoft
    NVIDIA
    Omnivision
    Oracle
    Qualcomm
    Salesforce.com
    SAP
    Seagate
    Supermicro
    TDK Headway Technologies
    VMware
    WeaverMobile
    Western Digital
    Yahoo

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  20. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

I was able to participate again this year and had a great time. Thanks you!! I was MD1 for Life Technology.

It is always so fun participating at this event. People are all very friendly.

It's quite amazing that we had a last minute venue change and it still started smoothly. I quite enjoy Bingtang SSF as I played there often and felt at home. Fortunately, we had the full use of this huge gym for all these people.

Cheers
    --Hugh