New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Never tried BS10. I don't think it'll be a hard transition. I went from VT80 to MX80...no problem. I sold my MX80 to my friend cuz the MX80 was a bit too stiff for my liking. Funny thing was that I thought I played better with my VT80 while my friend said I played better with the MX80. Go figure.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Depends. If you find the BS10 really, really easy to wield and get power out of, you'll probably like the MX80. If you can play with the BS10, but it takes effort at times (for example getting the BH clear long), you should probably not do it. Even if you're really comfortable with the BS10 the MX80 might not be a great racket for you - the difference is very clear, and I for one can play with the BS10 comfortably, but not with the MX80.
    Btw, it's also not as quick as the BS10.

3. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

lol I started off playing badminton with rackets around as stiff as ns9900 :D (no wonder I had no power back then) ah.... I hate the voltric series :/ I used to have a vt70 but I sold it. Is the mx80 hard to use? also how head heavy is it (just slightly head heavy?). Sorry if the answers have already been posted... too lazy to look through 132 pages of posts :p

4. CanucksDynasty

Not as head heavy as the Voltric series...so slightly head heavy. I think you'll be fine with the MX80. Because of the stiffness and Meteor head frame...it's a pretty damn near accurate racket.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

MX80 is slightly head heavy, a bit more than the BS10. It's also not as aerodynamic.
    It's hard to use, and although it feels great to play with, as a test of whether you're good with it or not you should play MD against a pair with a really strong defense. So strong that usually you get through with the 3rd to 5th good smash or a really surprising shot. If you still get through just as well with the MX80, you're probably good enough with it, if you can't penetrate the defense anymore, you should do the hard thing and change back to sth softer.

No matter how nice a racket feels and how accurate you think you are with it - if you can't penetrate the defense in doubles, it's not right for you. Of course the odd mishit or misplacement occurs, but generally, you should not be afraid of playing a few consecutive smashes from the back and always be able to penetrate the defense of equally strong opponents with a few smashes (getting a weak reply your partner can kill at the net counts, of course :D).

6. CanucksDynasty

^^

Yep. As good as it was...I couldn't smash my way out with it.

Always in search of the elusive racket that I can smash more powerful than a baby kitten, be more accurate than the weatherman, and is faster than a 90yr women at the grocery checkout line. :p

7. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

Oh, one more thing. How can I increase the speed of my smash(although it's not slow)? :confused: Like I have good form and technique and I'm doing weight training specifically for badminton (wrists and shoulders) but I want to smash faster :D

8. CanucksDynasty

9. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

Lol, usually I'm too lazy to search but for once I actually did but I didn't find any answers :( that's the only reason I posted.

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    It's just a matter of finding the right spec for you.

Recently I've been using a racket that's just a regular semi-aero box shape with a spec of 304mm/88g Net, and I just love it. LOVE IT. It's the best racket I've ever used, I just can't put it down. I also have one that's 308mm that I use when I feel smash happy (or should I say, when my opponents don't play a flat game and like to lift when I'm at the back of the court). Both of them aren't super stiff, but just stiff enough so that my arm is rarely sore and I can just play and play.

I've given up on the concept that a racket just beyond your abilities will lift your game. It really won't. You have to find a racket that just seamlessly integrates with your physiology/game, and then if you out grow it, then look for a new racket.

11. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    The power of MX 80, this video clip to share how Jae sung smashes with it

[video=youtube;DqthgAaeJMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqthgAaeJMY[/video]

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Heh. It CAN help, if done correctly - if you do it sparingly, in training, it will have a certain effect, just like using a heavier training racket. However, you should not do it if you're playing with noticeably stronger players - then it's best to BE at your best because they have enough advantages as it is. Against equally strong or weaker opponents it's not a bad idea to change to something more demanding from time to time, as it forces you to play differently (hit harder/quicker, get your racket up earlier, pay more attention to shuttle placement rather than pure power...).
    The main part of your training (~80%+) and all competition play should be done with the same racket though. It's vital that you are completely attuned to your racket in competition - switching to a similar, but not-quite-the-same model can have devastating consequences.
    I, for example, played with a different racket in training today. And even though I had no problems whatsoever during warm-up and practicing serves, I had a horrible first game against an opponent I usually beat, because in certain situations, it was quite different from my trusty BS12. I cleared and lifted 12 shots long in the first game, as I'm usually very accurate in that regard, but under pressure I did not give myself enough margin and thus made errors where usually the shuttle would fall 0-15cm in front of the back line 95% of the time.

Anyhow - personally I believe there is a spectrum of rackets every above-average player can use. You will be comfortable with a certain spectrum of flexibility, balance, and weight, and most likely be able to play decently with any racket within the somewhat broad field that opens up (for me, that would be 85-88g, 290-300mm, medium to stiff- flexibility - which depends on the head heaviness).
    To be able to compete with a racket, however, most players will need at least 1 week, rather 2 to adjust - if it's close to their old one.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hearing Gill comment on the bend of the racket I wonder what she would say if she saw a slow-mo of Chai Biao using his bendy N50 - this is nothing in comparison :D
    Also shows how stiff that thing is, if a player of JJS's incredible power bends it 'only' that far on an all-out smash.

14. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    It boils down to what type of style you are playing, Lee Yong Dae using BS LYD, that doesnt mean MX 80 is no good.. And also ones preference , his feel for the racket.

15. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

idk man, I prefer MX80 to do a 1-2 punch and flat rallies with precise placement rather than massive power smash to drill it in my opponents' head. And MX80 would to just that. It is stiffer than most of the BS series and cheaper than the Arcsaber series that's why I pick it: A little bit of aerodynamic for fast swing, stiff shaft for precision and little weight in the head for that extra beef when smashing ^^

16. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    MX 80

[TABLE="class: MsoNormalTable, width: 495"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 245"]

Stiffness
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]Stiff
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Frame Shape
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]Isometric
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Frame
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]UHM Graphite, Nano Resin
    Carbon XT

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Shaft
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]UHM Graphite, 7.2mm Shaft
    Nano Resin

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Weight
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]3U (85-89g)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Total Length (frame tip – handle end)
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]674mm (26.5 inches)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Grip Size
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]3UG2 (G2 = Yonex G5)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Recommended String Tension
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]3U: 20-28lbs
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 248"]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]

Balance Point from Grip End
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 248"]295-305mm (HH)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

#2256 Ferrerkiko, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

Well done sir

18. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Am I the only one seeing that the Koreans that use the mx80 actually skip the first cross (according to victors pattern) and just start crosses at the 10th grommet at the bottom?

19. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

erhh i believe they suggest a 2 knot pattern but thats all i know....they explain how to do the 80 holes pattern on their website i believ eif not its on youtube.

20. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    I know what the pattern is, I've strung that racquet countless times now...

I'm just wondering because when I watch a professional player that uses MX80 on the internet, the gap between the T and the first cross seems bigger than the one on my racquet

I've never been a fan of having that extra bottom cross, but for some reason I don't want to leave those extra bottom holes unused