BWF Reviews Scoring System

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, May 20, 2014.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol, you just explained the importance that the side change can have, but then disagree with my point of trying to keep things as equal as possible. With short games to 11 you could easily slip up lose the game on the good side, not "I'm too bad to deserve another chance on the good side" nonsense. Yes you are right someone will always have an advantage even with current scoring but why make it worse?

2. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Taken from: http://bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=85879

"In recent years, the increasing time span of matches and long lead-up to the end of games and matches...has somewhat compromised the level of excitement"

Are they trying to highlight the increasing duration of the shortest and longest match and it becoming somewhat less predictable?
    How can matches that take longer to end compromise the level of excitement when you see the players getting tested to the best of their training and abilities? Shouldn't it be the opposite, matches that end in 20 minutes bring less excitement to the viewer because it is likely to be very one sided?
    Bringing the new system of 5x11 I believe makes matches end even quickly, shorter rallies, which just exacerbates the issue BWF are trying to resolve. Stick with the current system, I believe it is quite good and acceptable by many.

"While the changes made to the scoring system in 2006 have been a tremendous success, the BWF has continued seeking to optimise all aspects of badminton to improve the sport and create further excitement and intensity"

I don't think changing the scoring system is the number one priority BWF should be concerned with when trying to promote the sport. The current 3x21 is a system displays core badminton elements such as stamina, agility, skill and mental toughness of players which what most spectators want to see. They want to see players sweat and players want to see fruits of their intense training. (Although I do like to see the 5x11 system under the old format tested where only the server can win a point). All I can see is that more screen time being diverted away from badminton which does not help the sport in any way, especially in the UK.

“The 5x11 system, resulting from the BWF Council meeting in India, is a fair reflection of the feedback from players and member associations. Players expressed concern that the proposed 5x9 system might result in games that were too short and I am pleased the BWF Council took this view into consideration,”

We are seeing how important the third shot is in badminton doubles, extending the points from 9 to 11 does fu** all. It can extend only 30-60 seconds maybe with no towel down maybe? They should, IMO, have considered 5x15 rally point system instead, shorter snappier rallies that can go the full distance.

I also think that the average duration of a doubles game will get reduced by 1/3 to 1/2.

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

today's QF matches at the AUS SS, only 2 out of the 20 matches went full distance with only ONE match just passed the hour mark. As the score suggested probably the most interesting match of the day. Now, will the new scoring system address this or make it worse?

Untitled.jpg

#123 AlanY, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

That's what I'm saying!

According to this chart, the average QF of a Superseries ournament is what? 40 minutes?
    That's def not too long, too short maybe...;-)

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    what is the average duration of a typical Super Series finals?

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Too short for one match yes but remember BWF likes to clump all their events into one, so when people sit down to watch the finals on tv it's a five hour ordeal which is too long for even the most dedicated fan.

7. |_Footwork_|

The Superbowl is one game in 5h. And is the biggest single sports event of the planet. Despite the fact that it has little action, a lot of breaks and nobody understands the rules.
    In other words: The lenth of an event is NOT what makes it popular or not.

I doubt only one single person more would watch a Superswries final if it lasted, say, 3h instead of 5h...

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Well apart from that being false, the Superbowl is not as regular an event. Who has time to watch 5 hours of badminton every 2/3 weeks for just the final never mind the other rounds? I think it just dilutes the interest. I am not saying the scoring system is the solution, but the way badminton is put across is not very engaging for the casual viewer.

9. |_Footwork_|

Let's be honest: In Asia, badminton is as popular as it can be.
    In Europe, we have a lack of topstars and history in the game. That won't change with any shortening of matches or something.

We'd need a Boris Becker or Martin Kaymer to get people involved in badminton in Germany. Or a Ronaldo or Beckham in England.

As long as some (for european, casual spectators) "faceless" Asian guys dominate that hard, the scoring system is a minor concern...

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

We have and have had top stars in badminton terms and no history of the game in Europe?? I'm not sure where you get information from but it is well wrong. Boris Beckers and Martin Kaymers are only seen as big stars because the media and people are massively interested in the games golf and tennis.

If changing scoring makes the game more snappy, followable and a difference to the amount coverage on main stream TV it gets, then it is a good thing, then things could snowball. I think this is their aim. It is also all the minor things that may add up to something great. They can only try, they are trying to develop it after all.

I do however (and it is happening) feel that the better place to start with different scoring and trying to gain recognition first is creating exciting national leagues in the developing(badminton popularity wise) countries that get solid media coverage first and try to establish it that way. (like Indian badminton league and the forthcoming English league that is signed with Sky Sports). Then they get to see how both scoring ideas work.

#130 craigandy, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  11. |_Footwork_|

Noone in Germany was interested in tennis before Boris Becker came...
    (I'm exaggerating...;-))

The new english league is a step in the right direction! That is a how to make a sport popular!

They may think about changing the scoring system! That's alright! But the proposed system is LESS interesting than the current one...

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

came where? in the broom cupboard:D

They are doing a best of 5 format, with some tie break thing. Lets see how it goes you may love it:p

13. |_Footwork_|

She robbed his semen... :D:D:D

14. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

I have not followed all of this discussion and apologize if it has been brought up.
    I actually liked the old 15 point system better and men's doubles in particular was more exciting (Tony G had said "the new system will ruin MD"). I think some players are better with the old (Taufik?) and some better in the new (LD?). Has there been any proposal to hold some SS with the old system? If not, is there enough support in this forum to push BWF to consider it? Having these different scoring systems could arguably make the sport interesting in a way. Similar to Tennis where the non-GP events are best of 3 sets for men instead of 5.

15. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    I completely agree and that will probably be the major upset if the BWF is going to change the current scoring system. Right now during a match, there are lots of 'momentums'; the psychological advantages from scoring at a certain time at a certain score. Because the minimal winning score has to be 21 points, these psychological points are more 'spread out'. With scoring to 11, it's way too short. Anyone remember the Olympic Games 2008 match of Maria Kristin Yulianti against Saina Nehwal? Maria was 2-11 down in the final game, but managed to score 9 points (?) in a row. Maria completely shifted the momentum of the match and ultimately won! I don't think we will see it with this new scoring system. The BWF did the right thing with our current scoring system. It changed for the better; from a rather boring and dull game to the thrilling, explosive, psychological and fast sport we know of.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Exactly!!Trying to fit 5 matches into one afternoon is the root cause. The length of an individual match is not a problem.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I really need some the stuff they are smoking:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    BWF, why not change it to 1 point per set and 21 sets

19. liiil

liiil Regular Member

Then the players will have to change sides after every point to maintain the notion of a break/interval. I guess the winner will be the one who wins 11 sets first.

Ladies and gentlemen, on my right (player 1), and on my left (player 2). (Player 1) to serve, love-all, play!
    [rally]
    Game. First game won by (player 1).
    [change ends]
    Court x, 20 seconds. Court x, 20 seconds.
    Second game, love-all, play.
    20th game won by ...
    Final game, love-match point-all, play.
    [rally]
    Game. Match won by (player 1) 1-0 0-1 1-0 0-1 ... (full score announcement) ... 1-0.

That's for singles, I won't even dare to imagine what a doubles match would become...

#139 liiil, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  20. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member