Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Shah Rukh Khan treated me like a little girl: Saina Nehwal[/h]
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/18179...an-treated-me-like-a-little-girl-saina-nehwal

EXCERPTS:

Saina Nehwal prefers to sleep when she is not slugging it out on court. She also enjoys watching Hindi movies, especially on tours. She could not hide her joy when she shared the stage at a promotional event in New Delhi recently with one of her favourite actors, Shah Rukh Khan. Ranbir Kapoor is her other ‘weakness’.

“He (Khan) was very nice to me. He treated me like a little girl. I am lost for words. Hats off to him and his behaviour,” the World No 2 tells DNA in an exclusive chat.

SRK’s hit flick Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is her all-time favourite. “I like DDLJ very much. I also watched Jolly LLB recently. I watch one or two movies in a month, mostly Hindi,” Nehwal says, adding she doesn’t watch a movie more than once.

Being a popular sportsperson and a role model for youngsters, particularly girls, Nehwal can’t really go out for a movie or walk into a mall. But she doesn’t mind it. “My aim is to be the best in my game. All other things are secondary in my life,” Nehwal says.

The ace shuttler has been nominated for the BWF Female Player of the Year award. “It is really a great honour. I think it is a recognition of my hard work,” she says. The verdict will be out on May 18, at a function in Kuala Lumpur.

Nehwal’s nomination comes on the backdrop of a fantastic 12 months, the pinnacle being the Olympic bronze medal. But for her, the success in London is now a thing of the past. “For me, every event is equally good. I won the Denmark Super Series Premier (October 2012) after the Olympics. I have been doing well all along. The Olympic medal is now history,” she says.

At last month’s All England Championships, Nehwal had a golden opportunity to win the singles title, especially after China’s Li Xuerui (World No 1) and Wang Yihan (No 3) lost in the opening round. However, she lost to Thai teenager Intanon Ratchanok in the semifinal.

Saina has taken it in her stride. “Ratchanok is an extremely good player, so she defeated me. It was not because I played (Wang) Shixian the previous night. Badminton is my life. We play one match a day. One day, I play better than her. That day, she played better than me,” she says.

“Results depend on how you play on a given day. For example, Yihan won the German Open but lost in the first round of All England the next week. It all boils down to stamina, practice and that particular day. I don’t regret my losses. I always look ahead and seek to do better. It works like this: Sometimes, I defeat players, other times they defeat me. It is all part of badminton and sport.”

Asked if she needed to be mentally stronger in crunch situations, Nehwal said she did not lack in that aspect. “I am very strong mentally. Sometimes I get defeated. It happens in the game. I don’t compromise on hard work and practice.”.

Nehwal will get the top billing in this month’s India Open Super Series event in New Delhi (April 23-28). “I will give it my best shot, like I always do. Let us see what happens on that particular day,” she says. True!

Saina.. You are the inspiration to thousands and thousands of youngsters in india. Your hardwork and dedication are really admired by many young girls who will turn the table of badminton in india very soon. That day is not far away.:)

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina with Sania Mirza and Former Miss world Diana Hayden (IPL- 6)

sainasaniahayden.jpg

3. azrenth

azrenth Regular Member

student
    yes!! i not laugh her!! i just hope she alright and i happy with it!!

4. azrenth

azrenth Regular Member

student
    i not laugh with saina =,=

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina Nehwal starts favourite, chance for other Indians to impress at India Open Super Series[/h]
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/18256...indians-to-impress-at-india-open-super-series

Excerpts:

London Olympics bronze medallist Saina Nehwal will no doubt be the cynosure of all eyes but the India Open Super Series starting here tomorrow, will hold more significance for the country's other shuttlers, who would look to prove their mettle at the highest level.

While Saina will be the centre of attraction in the women's singles category, world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei would be no less sought-after in the men's section.

World No. 2 Saina and the Malaysian star, who won the inaugural India Open Superseries title in 2011, will spearhead the challenge in the women's and men's categories, respectively at the Siri Fort Sports Complex from April 23-28.

In the absence of top Chinese shuttlers, Saina has been seeded number one and handed a relatively easy draw. She will open her campaign against unseeded Belaetrix Manuputi of Indonesia in the women's singles event.

Saina had beaten the Indonesian comfortably in the All England Badminton pre-quarterfinals last month.

In fact, the Hyderabadi is not likely to be challenged much in the first two rounds but may face some threat from compatriot P V Sindhu, who is seeded eighth in the competition.

High on confidence having defeated former World No.1 Shixian Wang of China at the Badminton Asia Championships in Taipei last week, Sindhu might pose a challenge to Saina

"(If we meet) It would be an interesting match. Hardly we girls play each other. Being a top player, I will be under some pressure," said Saina on the eve of the competition.

Saina's first real test, however, is likely to be against world no. 8, Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand in the semi-finals. Intanon, seeded third in the competition, had recently got the better of the Indian in the semi-finals of the All England Championships.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Fit-again Saina Nehwal raring to go at India Open [/h]http://m.ibnlive.com/news/sports/fitagain-saina-nehwal-raring-to-go-at-india-open/387061-5.html

EXCERPTS:

World number two women's shuttler Saina Nehwal is the top seed at the Yonex Sunrise India Open and in the absence of Chinese players, she is eager to put her best foot forward trying to emulate her 2010 success at the BWF Super Series tournament to be held in Delhi from April 23 to 28.
    Talking at the pre-tournament press conference, Saina sounded upbeat ahead of the tournament with an easy draw in hand. The London Olympics bronze medallist said, "Every tournament is tough. This one is a Super Series event and all the top players will be playing in it, but I am looking forward to put my best foot forward."

Saina, who had been playing with a taped knee for some time stated that at the Indian Open she will get rid of the tapes and will be playing without the knee tapes. She also added. "We play a lot of tournaments so injuries happen; we just have to be careful and hope to avoid major injuries".

The star shuttler will start off her campaign against unseeded Belaetrix Manuputi of Indonesia in the women's singles event with a possible quarter-final clash with India's PV Sindhu who is seeded eight. Speaking about her potential quarter-final match with Sindhu, Saina said she will be a bit nervous playing her India teammate as she is the higher ranked player and the pressure to perform will be on her.

"I am looking forward to playing with Sindhu. Hardly Indian girls play together in Super Series tournament, so it will be interesting. I will be a bit nervous because I am the higher ranked player".

Regarding the Badminton line-call review system which would be used at the Indian open, Saina felt the system is not going to be easy.

"Badminton is a fast game and the review system is not going to be easy. We would need to see if it works out or not. Some decisions go in favour of us some don't, and I hope the review system helps us".

*** Line Call Review system is going to be used !!!!! Good to the badminton :)...

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]PLAY THINGS: Saina loses, but badminton wins[/h]
    http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/j2l...AY-THINGS-Saina-loses-but-badminton-wins.html

EXCERPTS:

It has been a good weekend for badminton in India, if not so much for Indian badminton players. There were no Indians in the fray on Sunday, April 28, the day of the finals at the India Open Super Series in New Delhi’s swank Siri Fort Badminton complex, but that didn’t stop spectators from pouring in. A full house watched the elastic Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia and Thai wunderkind Inthanon Ratchanok win the men’s and women’s finals respectively, and both matches witnessed raucous cheering. This has not always been the case at the India Open, which was raised to Super Series status in 2011, but saw thin crowds in both 2011 and 2012.

In 2011 and 2012, the crowds came to watch Saina Nehwal, and trickled out when she lost in the early rounds in both editions. This time, despite Saina’s exit in the second round, there was no drop in spectator interest, a sign that must make the organisers very happy. When Lee Chong Wei entered the stadium to thunderous applause on Sunday, it did seem like badminton had come of age in the country—people were here for the game, not just for nationalistic reasons.

But what ails Nehwal at the India Open? Does the intense home support work to her disadvantage? Does she feel more under pressure? Saina brushes that theory off, but the spectacular mental collapse at the tournament, when she lost from being three match points up against a much lower ranked opponent, is inexplicable given her usual composure and fighting abilities. I watched the match sitting next to Nehwal’s mother Usha, who usually travels with her for domestic tournaments. It was a nerve wracking experience, though it started on a funny note: As soon as Nehwal walked on to the court, Usha, who was sitting quietly till then, screamed “Look here!” Her voice cut through all the cheering in the stadium, and Nehwal glanced up with a half-embarrased smile to acknowledge.

As the match started, Usha sat up very straight, with this grim sliver of a smile stuck to her face, lips tightly compressed, that was downright disconcerting. From the very first point, a stream of advice started pouring out of Usha—she looked like she didn’t really mean to say them out loud, but couldn’t help herself—she was in a trance. She definitely didn’t mean for Nehwal to hear any of it, except for a few times between points when she bellowed out at her to tell her she was playing well, and to keep cool. The rest of the time, it was a wall of continuous commentary just loud enough for the first rows of seats in front of her and next to her to hear. At first, the people in the rows in front looked back at her with obvious displeasure. “Who is this woman with so many opinions, and why is she inflicting them on us?” But ten minutes into the match, everyone realised that this was Nehwal’s mother, and the rude stares stopped. Not that Nehwal’s mother noticed any of this. She stared straight ahead at the court, giving out her instructions:

Watch the net.” “Use the sides, you are stuck in the middle.” “Be cool.” “You are playing fine, just keep doing this.” “Don’t smash.” “Start moving, why are your feet stuck?” “Stay calm.” “That’s it, keep playing like this.”

Nehwal says that it’s her mother who has made her the player she is today. “Right from the time I started playing badminton, she has been the one I went for advice,” Nehwal says. “She is the one who gave me the killer instinct, she made me fearless.” Usha herself was a state-level badminton player. But on this day, her support did not work. From three match-points up to losing the match, it happened so fast that it left the spectators stunned. At the end of the match, Usha turned towards me and gave me that same grim smile, and left without a word. Later, Saina admitted that she was flustered by a line call that did not go her away when she was at match-point.

“I lost my head when the call went against me,” she said. “And after that things happened so quickly that I lost control. I don’t know what needs to be done. Only in India I don’t seem to be able to fight back from situations like this.”

Don't Worry Saina.. Keep going... All the best for your future tournaments..:)

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yudhvir award for Saina Nehwal

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/badminton/207088-yudhvir-award-for-saina-nehwal

EXCERPTS:

[​IMG]

Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal on Tuesday, conferred the 22nd Yudhvir Memorial Foundation Award for her outstanding performance in the field of sports.

The award, instituted in the memory of freedom fighter, journalist and founder of the daily Hindi Milap, Yudhvir, was presented to Saina by Andhra Pradesh Lokayukta Justice B Subhashan Reddy, this evening at a function.

The Yudhvir Memorial Award was constituted by the Yudhvir Foundation in 1991 to commemorate the lifetime work of late Yudhvir.

The annual award consists of a citation and a cash prize of Rs 50,000.

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Based on my calculations there is a good chance that Saina NEHWAL will be the world No 1 after the Sudirman cup in a couple of weeks’ time.

India is drawn with China and Indonesia in Group A. All SN needed to do is beat the top INA girl and the World No 1 spot is pretty safe for her. Most likely China will field WANG Yihan against SN in the group match. Even if she lost to WYH she is still the hot on favour to claim the No 1 spot.

Because after the group matches only 3 girls left with enough points for LI Xuerui (the current No 1) to beat and gain enough points to maintain her top position, namely Juliane SCHENK, Ratchanok INTANON and SUNG Ji Hyun.

From the draw China will probably play one of the three teams and most likely with WYH. So, my money is for Saina NEHWAL to reach No1 in 3 weeks’ time.

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If it happens it will be a happiest moment. But i don't think it will happen so. Because India is fielded with Indonesia and china (both are expected to proceed further to the next stage). China will not field Wang Yihan with all the teams as if you are expecting. Still Li Xuerui is a hot favourite to win many top WS players though her form is slightly dropped this year. China will be the favourite to win the title and hence the accumulated points, which i consider is enough for LI Xuerui to gain points and to maintain her position.
    ALSO, Saina Nehwal has to defend her points in the upcoming many tournaments (titles which she won last year)which is going to be very difficult with her current form. Let's hope for the best. But No.1 position is still be in the hands of Li xuerui even after Sudhirman cup...

#110 scorpion1, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

no, the whole point is SN only needs to win her group match against INA which is very likely.
    but LXR needs to beat one of the 3 girls I mentioned earlier at the later stages to remain at No 1, which is less likely unless WYH play really badly or got injured.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I know that you are good in statistics in badminton (also calculating points). I abide to your comments. Let's see what happens.. According to me, Li xuerui is stronger among the 3 players you have mentioned than Wang yihan.

Let's hope for the best.. But i feel that India will field P.V.Sindhu against indonesian players and they will field P.V .Sindhu against Li Xuerui if china selects Li to play against India and Saina nehwal , if china selects Wang yihan to play.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the team will not know the players of the opposite team before they submit their players.
    If India don't play SN against INA that will rob her the chance to be No 1.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Oh ..One more thing i have learnt today.. I thought that team will select players according to the opponents.. :(

15. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Hold on Li Xuerui is anyways gonna lose 4000 points next week. And the points from SC are only going to be added the week after that. I thought this automatically means SN would become No.1 next Thu, no matter what the matches/results are from SC Cup???
    I already had a pitcher for this last week. Now dont say I was wrong, then ;)
    [Bydaway Alan correct me if I am wrong]

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

which 4000 pts you're referring to?

17. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Wk21 Thomas and Uber Cup she won 7800 points and her next best is oops 2660 i.e shes gonna lose around 5000 points... Shall I... Shall I.... party again? or still wait for you...

#117 gopalprasad, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

no,i think the SC points will replace the TC last year

19. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Here I open another bottle.... for this newly found 1000 points...

20. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Oh Come'on The rankings should be weekly so wk21 means wk21... not wk22... if the tournament doesnt happens its points are simply erased... not wait for another tournament in the coming weeks to replace that... I have got weight in the argument.... and my beer is still not finished yet...