SuperBowl

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by staples, Feb 3, 2008.

1. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    I thinkn Philly has a good chance this year by the way they are playing now.... If Burress & Jacobs were still playing for NYG, I would have said NYG but........

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

From the NFC, I fancy Carolina. I think they're more well rounded than Philly. Let's see if Philly can get past the Giants first.

From the AFC, I have to put my dimes down for the Steelers (of course :D). They'll make it to the Superbowl in typically ugly fashion. Other than SD, look at the 3 remaining teams in the AFC... all defensive teams.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It's a bit more than that..

..i think the loss of Osi Umenyora could be a factor, as now other players have to play out of their normal position. Last yr they had Michael Strahan and Umenyora anchoring the outside. And Tuck was then able to disrupt the inside with his pass rushing. This time, the G-men only have Mathias Kiwanuka and Tuck on the outside and no rusher ala Tuck on the inside.

Burress is out (what a distraction he was), but Jacobs will most likely play (although not 100%). Let's see if they can buck up for this week's game.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

And to think Pittsburgh had Burress once (they drafted him). What a loser

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^The G-men..^^

..should give Burress back to the "Steel City"...;)

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hell NO! Not even without gun, ammo or sweatpants :D

Tell you what; he'd look good in orange... penitentiary orange :D:D

#46 madbad, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Jerry Jones might hire him; he hires every other "thug" in NFL!!!!:)
    (like PACMAN)

8. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Yeah, the Panthers are a good team this year, actually every year. But I still think if Philly can beat NYG, they have a good chance to go to the SB.

So, here is my PAW for SB:- I am going to say EAGLES.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Why don't we take a friendly wager:
    madbad - Steelers
    malayali - Eagles

... if they get that far

10. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Allright, cool; I am up for it....

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Finally more or less watched all the wildcard games except vikes - philly (picture kept freezing). Hadn't watched a single game all season nor read anything so a few surprizes for me :eek:. (not to mention nfl preview mags cost double the us cover price in euro's over here and there's only one to choose from: Lindy's)
    Warner still playing (who was he supposed to tutor again? :p Oh yeah Leinart), Tiki Barber: sideline reporter (not looking out of place), Cards solid on the skill positions, Flacco throwing 60 yard lobs :D. Colts getting screwed in OT by the refs on one of the holding calls although another replay would have settled it (seemed to me the ball was not in the air yet), Sproles looking like Barry :cool:, not to forget: Ed Reed still the man.
    Coudn't be bothered to dl and watch regular season games the last 2 seasons, wouldn't have time to watch it anyway with all the college football I also hardly had time for :D.

#51 demolidor, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Do you know..

..you're one step away from following high-school football???...hmmm:eek:[​IMG]

No, but seriously, i didn't know you're a pretty hard-core NFL & college football enthusiast (or used to be).;)

#52 ctjcad, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Erm .... well actually :D I did watch some Texas state high school games last year (I think it was Pflugerville which is the team "copied" in Friday Night Lights the series) and a couple of all star games :eek:. And looks like I'll be watching the "US Army All American Bowl" tomorrow :cool:. [​IMG] hmmm more playoff games already. Time to stay away again as I'm not watching it live ;).

So many sports, so little time :) (more or less been watching bowl games, playoffs, hockey junior world championships and some ncaa b-ball as well the past month not to forget some badminton as well)

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Have you lived..^^

..in the states before??...cos it seems like you've been following U.S. sports for quite a while....;)

Btw, you don't want to know what happened to the Ravens & the results of today's NFL Playoff games, but i think i'll let you wait and find out the results yourself..:cool:

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Pardon my ignorance, what is a SuperBowl? Is it related to just American football? Is the game played inside a bowl? Is it a league of football matches or just the grand final between two competing teams for the ultimate title. Or is it named after a Mr SuperBowl, just like the name "Thomas" Cup in badminton?

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Quote:

"Origins

The Super Bowl was created as part of the merger agreement between the National Football League (NFL) and its competitive rival, the American Football League (AFL). After its inception in 1920, the NFL fended off several rival leagues before the AFL began play in 1960. The intense competitive war for players and fans led to serious merger talks between the two leagues in 1966, culminating in a merger agreement announcement on June 8, 1966. One of the conditions of the AFL-NFL Merger was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". According to NFL Films President Steve Sabol, then NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle wanted to call the game "The Big One".[3]
    During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl". Hunt thought of the name after seeing his children playing with a toy called a Super Ball;[4] the small, round ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was consistent with postseason college football games which had long been known as "bowl games." The "bowl" term originated from the Rose Bowl Game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played. Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found. Nevertheless, the name "Super Bowl" became permanent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl#Origins

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:) Just finished watching a 515MB copy of the whole game in a quality better than half the baddy vids that get uploaded here :p. It pretty much looked like a regular tv broadcast through my tv-out. For a duration of 2h13m crammed into a 515MB file that's saying something about something else ;). Loved the game & outcome, horrible commentary and even worse halftime & postgame analysis by Dan Marino, Bill Cowher, Shannon Sharpe, the host and another guy :D.

18. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I'm a Ravens fan, but I would (and did, preseason) put money on the Steelers winning it. Don't know why people haven't been taking them more seriously from the start.
    Also had FWP/Moore, Hines "The Jawbreaker" Ward, and the SteelersDST on my fantasy team, so did ok there :cool:

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It will be a tough, physical game next week. Go Steelers!

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Told ya..^^

..the Steel Curtain were going to pull it out...;)

Yes, indeed, next week should be one heck of a weekend for both conferences. It'll be a toss up between the Ravens vs. Steelers as i feel whichever defense can buckle down, that team will come out on top. On the other game, however, i have a feeling the Cards will pull through as they also look quite balanced>>just curious what our Quasimodo is thinking? or maybe he doesn't care... ;)

The Eagles caught the G-men in a bind & perfect weather day to disrupt Manning (although i'd expect the G-men to regroup and make another push next yr).
    Ravens vs. Titans was one of those tough games. The Cards, what can i say; they just blitzed their way to a romp.
    ..wow, 515MB file for a 2 hr 13 min game?? not bad..:eek::confused:..And i guess it's also in HD format?..Usually a file that size for a badminton match would last about a match long (no more than 1 hr).

*The Super Bowl is a name given to the Final game for the NFL; similar to the NBA Finals for the NBA and World Series for MLB. Kinda like the UEFA Champions League Cup (with less qualifying rounds). You've got selected teams from different leagues around Europe battling and playing to have the honor to play in the winner take all game.

#60 ctjcad, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009