Multiple Shuttle Feed... how do you do them?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by cappy75, Oct 16, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nice tips! i have problem with the spin, or from random shuttle orientation when i contact it, and it ends up going everywhere. will pay more attention to that.

2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

If you want to be more consistant in feeding straight, say to the rearcourt then it is better to stand with your racket foot forwards. It may feel a little awkward but does the trick I promise you.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

but when you do that, do you hit the shuttle beside you, or in front of you?
    If you're just feeding to one corner, that'd be fine. But if you were to feed multiple corners (while standing in the middle of the court) it's very tricky.
    Because with your racketfoot forward you'll either have to feed the shuttles from in front of you, or turn your torso very awkwardly.

And when you feed in front of you, you can't really play with the pace of your shots. You can't drive, or lift fast, and cross-shots are way to easy to see coming.

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Feed from the side. I know it sounds awkward but it isn't really. Feet position is very similar to the ready position, ie racket slighly further forward.

The quality and accuracy of the feed is more important than trying to return the workers replies.

5. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

edit *Feed from the side* I mean racket side of body not the side of the court. *racket foot slightly forward*

Sorry about the errors - boss came in whilst I was typing.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Ohh, okay, I see.
    What I meant with the drives/fast lifts I didn't mean receive them, I meant feeding them to the worker. Quite often you see people (either racket foot forward, or side by side) feeding shuttles so far out in front of them they can only feed shots with a slow curve. Putting your non-racketfoot in front forces you to hit the shuttle beside you, so then you can drive, lift fast, drop fast. You can control the pace of feeding more easily.

But maybe I'm just picturing your stance wrong, if you only put your racketfoot slightly in front of the other, it should be pretty easy indeed.

7. ljutzkanov

ljutzkanov Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach
    Some important things...

I think some of the explanations about the feeding technique are quite good so now you should have good idea how to do it :).

I want to mention something else, which is very vital achieving high effect from the multifeeding exercises:
    1. Trajectory of the feed shuttle and position of the feeder - may be the most important...
    This first is connected with your position on the court where you feeding from.
    Second is connected with the tactical situation which you want to train. Remember that always the technical skills involves tactical elements - at least recognition of the trajectory and the spin is always involved.

2. Moving on court while feeding - many times we do all the feeding only from one place, but in the same time we are training some tactical combinations (patterns of playing in different disciplines) and to achieve the highest effect we have to move, so the to change the angle of the trajectory of the shuttle according to the position of our player and sometimes according to the tactical situation.

3. Spin of the shuttle - some of the strokes which we can train, especially at the net (but not only!!!) requires special spin of the shuttle and without this spin we can train it all day long with having zero effect...

3. Correct PLM (or center of the preloaded jump) center of our player .
    Something what many coaches forget while doing multifeeding.
    If we want to achieve a correct movement as in the game, we have to be sure that our player has correct PLM position and always performing the same tactical pattern (if you make more than 1 stroke you always involve tactical pattern!) we have to be sure that he/she gets the most optimized PLM position as we want him/her to do the same in the real game. This also one more reason why we have to be sure where is our position (as feeder) and what is the trajectory of the stroke which we combine in multifeeding exercise.

Hope to help a bit more :)

www.badmintonplanet.org
    www.ljutzkanov.com

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I tend to agree with coachgary about the feeding position. I prefer a square-on stance (racket foot slightly forwards), rather than sideways, and to release the shuttle in front of my body and on my forehand side.

The main benefit to this style is that you can use a shorter, more "wristy" racket swing. With a side-on stance and contact the shuttle farther out to the side, I find it encourages a larger swing.

Another advantage is that you can watch the player better. If you're using a side-on stance, and hitting at the side of your body, you have to turn away more from the player as you hit the shuttle (I'm assuming you look at the shuttle, at least momentarily as you hit it).

As jerby mentioned, avoiding spin on the shuttle drop is crucial. I find my feeds are quite accurate whenever I have a clean shuttle drop, but absolutely dreadful if the shuttle is still wobbling. Personally, I prefer to drop rather than throw the shuttle:

• Start with a very short basic grip
    • Pluck the shuttle from out my left hand, holding the cork in my first three fingers (ring finger and little finger are holding onto the racket)
    • Move the shuttle above the intended point of impact, and make it point straight down (or slightly towards me) by supinating my forearm
    • Release the shuttle, opening all three fingers at exactly the same time
    • Drop my arm, repositioning fingers on the racket, and flick through with the wrist to hit

Done correctly, this drop ensures the shuttle is falling straight down with little or no spin.

I don't especially consider myself to be a good feeder, but that's what helped me become a less awful feeder. ;)

#28 Gollum, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    just to add, gollum - make sure our finger nails are short when we do multi shuttle feedings! and yes its all about flicking (never swing)!

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks all for the tips!

i did my first multi-shuttle drill today. i think i did pretty well. i stood with defensive stance. racket foot slightly forward, and then just plugged each shuttle off my left arm and fed it over. after a while i was pretty comfortable with it. i think success rate was ~80%. not bad for first time? ;)

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    kwun, if you do regular multi shuttle feeding your badminton will improve!

you will feel your hand will be faster

next, you can also try standing on bench and feed fast shuttle - example for doubles defense

taking 20 shuttles (2 rolls) and short fast punch, try to finish it between 20 - 25 sec!

thats 1 rep, min is 10...

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Use the left hand to pull the shuttle from the stack and throw the shuttle to be hit with your racquet (right hand).

#32 Cheung, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That sounds excellent. Well done. :)