Let's find out ideal grip size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Jurethatsme, Jul 16, 2007.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Uh, once we put our measurements in the formula, wheres the scale that tells us if its G3, G4, or G5?

2. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Isn't that a measurement of 12 cm.? My fingertips was also to 12-13 cm. But do we actually subtract a cm.? What would my GS be?

I see its:

12*0.74=GS. GS=8.88

or

13*0.74=GS. GS=9.62

Because I'm not exactly sure where to measure from.

#42 KazeCloud, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  3. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

wait i was think what about special people, like people with amputated arms. So could they make the racket instead of a grip it's a screw on and then at the top it's clamped on (like a briefcase) and then they can use it like a hand?

4. Jurethatsme

Jurethatsme Regular Member

microbiologist
    Husaari's measurement would be 11 cm, because you have to measure to the tip of your ring finger...

5. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

my hand is 10.5 cm
    my GS=10.4 cm

The grip feels to thick, I think i will tear the undergrip down, and put it directly on wood, i use towel grip.

I dont know how to get more thin grip as i like to you towel grip and grip on my racket is g3, any advice.

Do you think i will notice if i tear down the basic thin undergrip.

6. ohnanersdany

ohnanersdany Regular Member

Student
    i was wondering how do you measure the circumference if the grip isn't a circle?? Don't you need to find out the perimeter instead?

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

aren't circumference and perimeter the same thing?
    Or is perimeter the general term and circumference used for circles?

Either way, aren't these semantics? (or at least, that's what it sound like to me, having English as a second language...);)

Anyway, from what I expect, the "results" will be something along the lines of:
    G = [0.5 ; 1.3] x h
    In other words: almost random ;)

8. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    Hi! Just wrap up the handle with a cord or piece of paper and then measure the length... If "circumference" is used only for circles then I have to apologize - use "perimeter" instead :)

9. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    Hi Jerby, where did you get those numbers (0.5; 1.3)? And why do you expect such variation? Proper grip size should not vary so much...

10. UnknownX

UnknownX Regular Member

Hey guys, I'm kinda new here, but would like to share from the data's. The easiest way to measure the circumference is just to put a piece of tape or string around the grip and mark where it meets the end of the string, then use the ruler to measure the length of the string. That should clarify any confusions about how to measure the circumference.

Jurethatsme, I think your formula is about right, may be the constant is just a few tenth of a digit off, but it seems almost very accurate. My hand length is about 12.5cm, and with your formula, my GS is about 9.25, and I have a G5 racket with 1 overgrip on top of the factory grip. Can you advice how many more grips I should have? Thnx!

11. Jurethatsme

microbiologist
    Hi UnknownX, the formula is based only on Jerby's data right now and if someone would like to use his choice of the grip size, this formula can be considered. So 12.5 cm would lead to GS 9.25 (12.5*0,74) as you already calculated, which would be G3 + 1 overgip. But you use G5 so maybe you should really try with 2 overgips, with regard to your quite large hands (are you sure that you measured to the end of the ring finger and not to the end of the middle finger?). If you are not sure, you should try to put another grip on and measure the perimeter again. With 2 overgips you should be somewhere around 9 cm (it depends on the grip also).

If I use my data (my hand 11.5 cm, GS 9.3 cm) I get factor 0.8 (instead of 0.74 of Jerby's). And I can say that maybe my grip is slightly to big, but I can't do much because in our contry the racquets are (almost all) only G3 3U and G4 4U, so if I would like to buy a 3U racquet I have to reconcile myself with the G3 grip size... or... strip it to the wood, which I don't like.

If I would have to guess the right constant, ideal for most people I would say somewhere around 0.78. So, Grip size = H × 0,78. (for H, check page 1).

One more thing, I found this webpage: http://www.bbesports.com/English/racket_ti.htm

The "circumference" or "perimeter" is here "girth" :):

Handle: G3(girth 89mm)、G4(girth 86mm)、G5(girth 83mm)

1 overgrip adds around 3-4 mm, so:

G5 + 1 overgrip = ~87 mm
    G4 + 1 overgrip = ~90 mm
    G3 + 1 overgrip = ~93 mm (if I measure my G3 racquet + 1 overgrip is exactly 93 mm)

Ideal for me would be 11,5 × 0.78 = 90 mm = G4 + 1 overgrip... but no AT500 3U G4 here around :mad: :rolleyes:

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Was just reading this and thinking everyone measures differently and might even convert wrongly (although you've probably used a converter).

"align the ruler with the bottom lateral crease of your palm"

Thought it a little vague at first but I guess it's simply the middle of the big three lines, aka the "head line". Look at the difference already of the position of the line in both pics! Mine is definitely lower than in the actual pic ...

Aligned to the side of my ring finger (as in the real photograph) I measure 12.4cm with circumference of 8.0 and 8.4cm (8 = single overgrip on wood, 50% overlap; 8.4 = single replacement grip on wood, no overlap. Both G5 I guess, ZELM and Panda Power). Put me down for 8.4.
    Seems extremely small compared to the previous measurements so therefore was wondering about the conversion from inch to cm? I don't have big hands at all and measured the circumference with 2 different rules/tape measures. Measuring an actual Yonex G5 (with plastic wrapper still one) I get 8.1cm, so let's make that an 8.0.

Attached Files:

#52 demolidor, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I used the backing of a replacement grip and marked the overlap to measure....

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I still have no idea what grip I am meant to be using, I started with just G3 no overgrip, then went to G3 + towel grip, that lasted for several months, (obviously changing the towel grip many times) then went to G3 original grip + 1 super grip, then ripped off the original grip and used thewood with karakal ripple grip, to now just using wood + 1 supergrip
    So I have went to really big to quite small in terms of grip

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I guess you'll find out soon enough if it's a ZELM 10k that you ordered. That's the one I have measured at 8.0 with a single overgrip ... (50% overlap should make it 1.2mm, I believe the Karakal supergrip is 1.6mm). Can you measure your wood+supergrip combo? I guess it should be 9.0cm. If not then my measurements are messed up :p

#55 demolidor, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    The size will change over a period of time as a person matures. It's just preferences and tastes. ;) Some will swap between towel grip and synthetic grips. ;)

17. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ppl ... After reading these posts for trying to confirm the grip size for me (scientific way and disregarding the tastes matters), I found the formula Gs=hx0,74 (all in cm) gave a result a little lower than the grip size i use. I ve h=10.5cm (I have a small hand).
    I have a SOTX racquet and grip size G3 (SOTX G3 = Yonex G4) and with no overgrips. This grip size allows me to change grips fast and I can have the all the gaps as shown in LJB grip video, so I think theoretically I am using a grip # suitable for me.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I get 11.7 cm where indicated on the diagram, and I prefer YY G5 down to the wood with a 1.7 replacement grip; any thicker and I start to lose wrist articulation. I just barely hold the racket when not hitting and this grip size makes such a light grip very comfortable.

There are some rackets where I play with - picture this - THREE KSPU on a YY G3, and these are being used by 13-15 year olds. I have no idea how:confused:.

19. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

That's a tennis grip! at a guess played with tennis strokes as well :p:p

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Next time I get one to string I'll put it next to mine and take a picture - it's hysterical. Actually, gsloh called it - a lot of those kids rely on shoulder and arm strength at the moment:).