Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. nungquynh

nungquynh Regular Member

banking officer
    Maybe LCW has some different with Lin Dan because he is only player can win and make the honour for Malaysia. So he has to compete in many many tournaments, it makes him tired, but with his fan, it's so great, love to see him in court anytime, anywwhere.
    Consequently, despite of knowing about his condition, that he need to rest and relax, but if he appears in SSF, i thinks this is the best joy for his fan, including me:p

2. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i don't think it's a problem if LCW really wants to skip SSF. he had won it thrice before. and fine money won't be big problem for him too. just let him do what make him feel comfort. he has his own life afterall.

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    As like someone has mentioned before, CBA plan is to have as many players as they could to be qualified for Olympics, hence it will increase their possibility to win the title and possibly a clean sweep.

4. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    True, LCW should be more selective, I think he deserved to be a little more demanding because he did his very best, to heal and gained his form back from ankle injury for OG12, albeit with heartbreaking result. Then keep playing some more, still carrying the burden of MAS fans' hope and BAM's heavy reliance on him.

Then again LCW is not LD, BAM is not CBA, and our second stringers and young players, except for some who's already show a 'little' progress, still miao2 compared to other countries. :eek:

5. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

I couldnt find any explanation anywhere why Arena Lee Chong Wei name has been taken away from Looi Badminton Academy at Sentosa? Anybody?

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Who cares if the court rental is still the same ? Everyone will be happier if the fees are reduced ! If the fees is reduced to RM5 per hour, they can call it BOBO THE CLOWN ARENA,also fine :D

#8946 maxout, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. nungquynh

nungquynh Regular Member

banking officer
    I think LCW wil join in SSF, today it's has the seeding report from BWF. If he skips this tournament, his name will not be there. Good news for his fan;)

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    He better beat CL this time...

9. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    I did read the interview of a China badminton magazine that LCW did mention his apprearance in events is not within his control and he envy LD for being able to be selective. He said his appearance helps is tied in to sponsership issues as well.

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the info, isben.
    Meaning that Lining does not interfere on which tournaments LD has to participate. Automatically, LD will surely take part on those big events. It is quite expected since it seems that CBA has full control of their players.

Part of LCW inferiorities to LD are due to the system.

#8950 Licin, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  11. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    I guess to a certain extend. It seems that LCW is in a similar situation like Taulfik as the best player in the country and still waiting for someone new to share the workload.

12. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Just saw the list of the players who are going to attend to the SSF and Lee Chong Wei is in there.
    Lin Dan is not in there, however Chen Long is.

View attachment 134105

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    LEE CHONG WEI - THE ONE CONSTANT AMONG MANY VARIABLES

The link where Lee is praised for his consistency is given below.

"http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/12/07/lee-chong-wei-the-one-constant-among-many-variables/"

Excerpts:

"
    The list of eight elite players who have made it to the World Superseries Finals is out. Topping this list are, expectedly, Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long. There is no Lin Dan who, despite being World and Olympic champion, did not qualify as he did not log sufficient Superseries ranking points. He had participated in just three open events, and none after winning the Olympic gold. There will be no Peter Gade, who retired during the French Open. The other famous name of this era, Taufik Hidayat, will also miss out as he has slowly been winding down his commitments, possibly with retirement in sight. Men’s Singles badminton is in transition, and the list of the eight qualifiers for the Superseries Finals reflects that. Of the eight, only Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long are de-facto elite players; the others are not in their league, nor are they likely to catch up any time soon. In terms of quality, men’s singles badminton faces a crisis – it does not have the standard of even five years ago. At least seven of the top-12 are not consistent, and are likely to be beaten by any player in the top-30. Consider players like Sho Sasaki and Kenichi Tago (Japan), Jan O Jorgensen (Denmark), Du Pengyu (China) and Wang Zhengming (China). They are either in the top-12 or have been there in recent times. All of them have shown a worrying lack of stability. Du Pengyu, for instance, went from being Denmark Open finalist to first-round loser at the French Open the very next week. Similarly, Wang Zhengming made the final of the China Open and crashed out in the first round of the Hong Kong Open. Hu Yun (Hong Kong), who made the final of the China Masters Premier Superseries, went on to lose to players like Wisnu Yuli Prasetyo (Indonesia, No. 75), Chen Yuekun (China, No. 52) and Arif Abdul Latif (Malaysia, No. 35).

Even Jan O Jorgensen, who heads the European challenge after Peter Gade’s retirement, had a disappointing season, losing to the likes of Hsuan Yi Hsueh (Taipei, No. 64), veterans like Nguyen Tien Minh and Lee Hyun Il, Japanese youngster Kazumasa Sakai (No. 61) and Gao Huan (China, No. 45). This is not to suggest that top players should be infallible. But current trends show a worrying lack of consistency among the top players. Only Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long are consistent in the sense that they do not usually lose to players ranked below them. This does affect the following for the sport. Apart from the three named, the others are hardly known outside the badminton-following circle. How many sports followers can name the top-ten? This is so unlike, say, football, where most fans would be able to name the entire Manchester United or Barcelona teams, the top-ten in tennis, or even the starting line-up at a Formula-One race. That is why one is so thankful for Lee Chong Wei. The Malaysian lends quality to every event he participates in. He gives his best, and if that isn’t good enough for the trophy, he makes no excuses. His opponent has to play really well to beat him, and that is not often. Unlike Lin Dan, who stays away from numerous Superseries events every year, Chong Wei participates in as many as possible and that is invaluable for public interest. When Chong Wei plays, one is sure that a lesser player cannot walk away with the title. Lin Dan might be World Champion, but Chong Wei evokes warmer memories in people’s hearts. He is, after all, the Superseries King! "

14. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I agree that a lot of top players are inconsistent, however it should be noted that badminton is a sport and mentality is everything. Humans have their ups and downs, even if they are professional athletes.
    Even if players sometimes lose to lower-ranked players, they're still good enough to often make quarter finals or so. If you actually play badminton, you would know all about this. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

All in all, I think the columnist is exaggerating. Give the players some time. You can't expect top players to be on their top constantly. LCW is 30 and has been at the world stage longer than the others. Good sports mentality comes with age and there're a few years gap between LCW and the younger players. Maybe in 6 years, players such as Tago might also be an olympic medalist.

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    "the columnist is exaggerating" - I dont think so.. He depicted the picture of men's singles prevailing in the current situation. He has shown the facts which are more than enough to prove it. :)

If you actually play badminton, you would know all about this. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. - Yeah.. I know that. This is what called as consistency. And what he mentioned in his column is all about consistency . :)

I hope your fav. player Tago will come up soon in this arena with consistent performance and show all of us his talent and fix his shortcomings asap.:)

#8955 scorpion1, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    its depend on
    u want to be consistent like lcw but cannot win major
    or u want inconsistency and win major like taufik/lindan?hehe

17. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    All here talking about consistency?

Lee Chong Wei for one has been laughing to the bank

almost every month for the last 6 years lol

i don't think he really mind the overall results he has achieved :D

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Are you really from malaysia?? Lol :):D;) Even i have so much faith and positive thinking about LCW. But I could not find such a spirit from you. :( Making fun of him !!!!!! :(

I dont know with which facts, you are talking...!!!!:confused: Lindan is inconsistent? And LCW did not win any major??.. You mean OLYMPICS /All ENGLAND??.. :(

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well i dont fancy about lcw neither did lin dan.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    IMHO, the top five major titles in badminton are (in order of importance):

1. Olympics
    2. World Championship
    3. Thomas/Uber
    4. Sudirman
    5. Asian Games

Of course, some people might argue All China Games and Commonwealth Games are majors too.