First Impression of the Victor VS850

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by BigFC, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Nightbird

Nightbird Regular Member

I did use VS 850 in blue on my Apacs AMP 95 and I do have to say that the racket developed an intimate relationship with it!!While I did string it 3lbs more than my normal playing tension(keeping in mind the tension loss), it is very perky and lively.It is fairly durable as well.Overall, if you can live with the tension loss,it certainly lives upto its reputation.

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    The manufacturers stats make this string look really bad!!!

3. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Wow... It's been a while when I was using VS850. Now it's back on my main racket. I just can reconfirm its ultimate responsiveness. In this case I also wanna mention that its cousin named NS880Ti is close to that.
    But the latter one was sipplery while VS850 has a more gripping surface. Not as BG80, but way away from slippery surface.

I unfortunately went with the fresh string to my recent tournament. I played like some lower graded players :eek:
    That must have been definitively my incompetence in adjusting. And the string maybe still need some break in time I think. Well, let's see how I'm doing this month.
    Let's get to my reason of posting. Do you also experience an extremely moving string with the VS850?
    By that, I mean the string moves after every 2nd or 3rd point. That's not very amusing when I always have to move the strings back on their locations since I'm always busy between the points and the opponent have to wait more and longer than usual.

I'm not sure anymore how it was when I was trying VS850 last year since it has been a while.
    Another possible guess would be that the stringer has done a bad job which results in moving strings?

#23 Accordaz, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ what tension, and when you strum the stringbed does it have the same pitch as your other rackets of the same tension?

5. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

11.5Kg; I just know that my stringer does the mains and the cross ones in slightly different tensions.
    For example: main = 12Kg; cross = 11Kg; or the other way around; I don't know since I've not asked him yet. But I was always pretty satisfied. Well, to be specific. I bring my rackets to his shop. Mostly I do not know who's the stringer of my racket since they have many stringers in their shop.

Related to your second question, I'll give you feedback tonight or tommorrow :)

6. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

oops. I totaly forgot to response. The pitch sound is the same as the ones from the other rackets.
    It's still moving. Maybe not that much any more, but still a little bit annoying... I think it's stringer's fault, on the other hand I can't judge the string job quality since I do not know how stringing works...

Seems I have to deal with it until the next string job. At least I'm still satisfied of the extreme repulsion by this wonder string.

7. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    I'm almost surprised Li-Ning haven't caught on to to how well-liked this string is and given it a price hike (perhaps along with some 'NEW TECHNOLOGY' being added or something, to justify it).

It's bizarre that it's basically their bottom end string when it's so damn good.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ye gods - don't put ideas in their heads!

Do any LN strings come on the reel? Just curious.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes - NS30 ticks more boxes:).

10. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

But still not the same superior repulsion as VS 850? :p

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    either it takes you a very long time to adjust the string or your opponent is overly impatient. i adjust my string after almost every shot, and your opponent should grant you the courtesy to at least do that. for my stringbed, usually it's around the sweet spot where the strings move the most but sometimes it's a string near the frame because of a mishit.

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Nice OP thanks. I'm still weighing up vs850 vs ZM65. I can leave it to settle so tension loss doesn't bother me. I probably string higher than I should anyway. MP66 was very metallicy pinging (think aluminium baseball bat hitting ball iirc) at 22/24 on an old cheapy racket but not at 21/23 (+ tension loss over three weeks of not playing!) on MX60.

13. ariffd93

ariffd93 Regular Member

student
    I have this string strung at my f9 ltd and i want to say that this was vs850 was the most sucks and worst strung i ever used, the sound is dead, feeling also that although i can control the racket, but i really hate this strung too thick and very rough, repulsion power also not good, i prefer zymax 62 and ap62 plus, nbg98 and ultimax 66 also can consider but this string was bery sucks and no feel, eve pn bg80 10 times better than this string,

14. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Perhaps you just don't have the strength to access the power from strings of 0.68mm thickness sufficiently? :confused: Considering all the strings you listed are all very thin and high repulsion as compared to VS-850 which is more of an all round control string.

I use it on all my rackets and frankly I have never blamed the string for any lack of power. It's certainly done well for me. I have used all those strings you've listed before as well and while they were all excellent strings with their own faults they didn't fit my play style as they didn't give me enough control especially NBG98 as it was too slippery for me and 66UM's feeling and tension simply dies even faster than VS-850 and it can't be strung as high to let it settle in for me because it would break too easily.

Of course eventually your mileage may vary.

15. ariffd93

ariffd93 Regular Member

student
    ya, it does not suit my style, it has power but the feel was dead, i dont like the feel or maybe not suitable with my racket as the string was too stiff

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^ don't worry... I was a previous vs850 user too, and have not looked back since switching to zm62 like you. :)

17. ariffd93

ariffd93 Regular Member

student
    Means zymax 62 much better than vs850? Can gv me some advice about both strings?

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Zm62 better in control, repulsion, tension retention, except for durability. But if stringing 23lbs or less then no problem.

19. ariffd93

ariffd93 Regular Member

student
    Normally i strung it 26 and i feel excellent with it,

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Great for you. But for me any mishits with over 23lbs result in a broken string.