Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    by maintaining my world number 1, in 2010, i will be conferred "Tan Sri". by 2011, i will be 'Datuk Seri'. as i retired in 2012 with world number 1, i will be "Tun". when i am retired, what or why care about winning? big titles? AE champion? WC champion? Tun drifit.... no regret :D:p

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Are you trying to mock the ability to maintain a WR1? Why don't you do it when LD was WR1? How long was LD WR1?Are you suggesting LD's WR1 was laughable? I find this post embarrassing.Maybe it's a mod's privilege.

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Whether DLCW able or not able to maintain his WR1, he is still not the best badminton player in the world.....

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yep, maybe that's just your opinion.
    However, others opinion might differ from yours of course;)

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If you poll BCers, majority would concur with Dato Asbullah and Dato LCW would admit LD is a better player. If you look at ex-CHN baddy players, whether by sheer winning achievements or length of time being the top gun in the game (i.e. the one to beat, now that is called pressure), LD could the best of them all, even top ZJH (I am bias because to me ZJH is the best player I ever seen play this game). Therefore, LCW being 2nd to LD is not a bad compliment, if LD is not playing in the same era as LCW, LCW could win a fair share of titles and LCW/TH could rule supreme during this era.
    With LD pick-choose when to play, it is quite possible for LCW to be WR1 for a while but I ain’t optimistic till OG12 because 3.5 yrs is a lifetime in badminton and a lot can still happens, even cows could fly by then:D:p Also, CJ and CL (and other young guns) could catch up because they will play a lot till OG12 (LYB will want 3 players in OG), they are young, will improve and win their fair share.
    The longer LCW keeps WR1, the bonus he collects RM180K a year plus winnings, lifetime pension (OG08 silver), endorsements, etc., that is big time business, of course the Dato or even Tan Sri titles are icing on the cake. LCW is the most successful MAS baddy player of all time in terms of $$$ earnings, only LD and maybe TH can pass him or some KOR players can match him. That is good for LCW and good for MAS baddy, it provides incentive for others to know that playing baddy (only if you are very good) is rewarding and has a future, otherwise potential players may choose to be book worms than to play baddy. But if players are no bloody good, they better be good at frying chow-kwai-teoh as a second career:D:p;)
    LD has won more titles than anyone in history, one or more SS makes no difference to his legacy whereas one more OG12 gold, one or two AGs, more AEs and more WCs would surely makes him a legend over legends, a mark I can’t see anyone breaking in my lifetime. With LD reportedly making US4M last year, winning a SS is a measly US$20K and he only gets to keep half of that, why even bother risking injury, tired and over-exposure with so much hard work and the winnings can barely buy 2 Luis Vetton handbags for XXF unless we are talking about Chi-Cheung-Kai (Petaling Street) knock-offs:p:D
    I can see LD training hard and play just enough to maintain top 2 placing in CHN team and gets to qualify for the majors, and when he does play, remains fresh and beat out whoever is the WR1 and make a mockery of the ranking system.
    Of the 4 majors, the #1 target is one more OG12 gold and LD retires. I am just talking out loud, I guess LD is kicking himself for losing in OG04, because had he won OG04 gold, that could be 3 OG golds…guarantee for sure, a mark no one will, can or think of matching.

#85 OneToughBirdie, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    I am waiting for somebody that is dare to make a statement that DLCW is the best ms badminton player in the world currently.

7. s3160717

s3160717 Regular Member

I think it would be nobody if LinDan exchanged to new career "mendouble"

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LCW is saying to the others "Catch me if you can"

:D:D:D eaglehelang ... No, it's not a wager. Some of my buddies do not understand how the World Ranking works.

Some think that if a player is ranked World No.1, then that player must be the most skillful player in the world. Of course, this is not always true.

And some think that if a player is the best player in the world, then that player will be ranked World No.1. Of course this is also not true.

Many do not know that a player's position is determined by just adding their points earned at tournaments. And points are earned when the player wins matches.

On this note, let's have a look at the points earned by some of the players;
    (Ranked as at 9-April-2009)
    1. Lee Chong Wei ............. 84,179
    2. Lin Dan ........................ 66,940
    3. Chen Jin ...................... 65,804
    4. Peter Gade .................. 64,683
    5. Sony Kuncoro .............. 60,927
    6. Taufik Hidayat ............. 58,943
    100. Chen Long ............... 13,170

In previous posts, it was said that Lin Dan is no longer interested in regaining the No.1 position. Perhaps the current big difference in points between him and Lee Chong Wei has discouraged him from making a chase.

Comments were also made that injuries could prevent Lee Chong Wei from participating in more tournaments. This is true. If matches are not played, no points can be earned.

But it looks like Lee Chong Wei is OK at the moment (let's forget the food poisoning incidence). He appears to be determined to surge further ahead. He is saying to the others "Catch me if you can". ;););)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i can assure that is not LD's reason for not regaining #1.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Being No.2 works better for Lin Dan in any tournament that has Lee Chong Wei too.

If Lin Dan is No.1 and Lee Chong Wei is No.2, the No.3 will always be in Lin Dan's half of the draw. That is not very advantageous to Team China, is it? ;)

If Lee Chong Wei is No.1 and Lin Dan is No.2, the No.3 goes to Chong Wei's half. That makes the route to the final more hazardous for Chong Wei and also allows Lin Dan to meet No.4 or No.5 (depending on who is competing in that tourney).

If I were Li Yongbo, I would keep Lin Dan lower in the ranking.
    After all, rankings don't win the Olympic Gold or the All England! ;)

11. paulstevo

paulstevo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Well what is the reason as it seems pretty strange to not try and catch up..
    Do you not think he owes it to all the fans worldwide to attempt to catch up?

12. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Lin Dan competed in only 8 tournaments and gained 66,940 points
    while LCW competed in 10 tournaments and gained 84,179 points.

If Lin Dan competes in 2 others super series in which he did not participated in last year (eg. Singapore, and Indo) and win both of them, chances are good that he will be very close to LCW(assuming he stays the same, or gains a bit) in ranking points, if not surpass him.

9200 points for winner x2 = 18400
    84,179 - 66940 = 17,239

Just the same as 2006, the reason why LCW gained his #1 spot for about 2 months was because of Lin Dan's lack of tournament participation.

Talk about "catch me if you can" LOLLLLLL... ROFL, LMAO... try telling LCW to catch up to the number of major titles won by Lin Dan instead.

To make it sound worse, even Hafiz had an All England title to show for, while LCW has nothing worthy at all. LCW should at least try to catch Hafiz first, before his fan starts to ask other pros to catch him.

#92 bananakid, Apr 9, 2009
  13. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Lee chong wei should be beware of china latest weapon ,,, newbie Chen Long.. who eliminated him in the first round..

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Can you lighten up a little? This is only a badminton forum not the UN. We are chatting about some guy in tight shorts prancing around with a badminton racquet not North Korea's long range missile tests.

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You said it spot on, bro!
    Its the titles that counts, major titles. And LD have loads of em' tucked away in his trophy cabinet. Forget about OG gold or WC, LCW can even muster one single AE title.

'Catch me if you can' ... I would say this is the typical Malaysia Boleh 'syiok sendiri' syndrome.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let us talk more about World Rankings

Please be reminded that this thread is about World Rankings. This thread is not about who is the best Badminton player in the world. Although the better players and the higher ranked players are found almost in the same subject/topic, let us talk more about their World Rankings.
    This is true. In previous years Li Yongbo kept CHN players ranking in the World No.1 and 2 positions. It was to ensure that CHN players are seeded No.1 and 2 at tournaments, and therefore they won't meet each other before arriving at the Finals.

Now, with CHN players participating in lesser tournaments, we find them ranked lower. They are now facing each other in earlier rounds.

Let us look at Womens Singles at the 2009 Badminton Asia Championships happening today, Friday April 10.

CHN players facing each other at the WS Quarter-Finals:
    * Xie Xingfang [5][​IMG][CHN] -vs- [​IMG][CHN] Lu Lan [2]
    * Wang Lin [3][​IMG][CHN] -vs- [​IMG][CHN] Jiang Yanjiao

And at the Semi-Finals, it's expected that we have;
    * Wang Yihan [8][​IMG][CHN] -vs- [​IMG][CHN] Lu Lan [2]
    * Wang Lin [3][​IMG][CHN] -vs- [​IMG][CHN] Zhu Lin [6]

Will we see CHN No.1 and 2 at the Finals? Which is this match;
    * Wang Lin [3][​IMG][CHN] -vs- [​IMG][CHN] Lu Lan [2]

:):):)

#96 chris-ccc, Apr 9, 2009
  17. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Are you sure about this?

WN3 being in the same half as LD is a good news to CHN, isn't it?:rolleyes:
    WN3 being in the same half as LCW is a better news to CHN, isn't it?:rolleyes:

To me, it doesn't matter whether LD is #1 or #2 as far as CHN team is concerned.

If WN3 is in the same half as LCW, he needs to beat another CHN before the finals. Otherwise, his opponent in the finals will have a virtual walkover in the semi. To me, it's not much difference to LCW.

The answer to the thread it "possible".

But to me, LCW should keep himself in the top 2 till 2012 London OG while trying to win some majors (AE & WC).

18. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I dont' find CHN playing less tournaments....they just skipped the first 2 for training and the elite squad didn't attend the german open.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I forgot to elaborate why I found the drifit's post embarrassing.It's because the gist of it is rather infantile. I thought it came from you but to originate from a mod who presumably must be more mature in thinking.....

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, maybe you should ask why he skipped SO and IO.Cannot be the humidity because he had played well in Singapore and Indonesia before.The crowd may not be his favourite but why should he let that stop him?Actually with TH's renewed interest and heightened motivation for badminton,TH 's heading towards WR2.
    WR2 will be keenly contested first.