disrupting the stringing routine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Mar 12, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how many of you guys have more than one machine, or have switched to using a different machine at some point?

i was at Synergy Badminton where they have a ES5Protech sitting there free so they let me string one of my rackets.

it is a very sweet machine, such a solid feeling. so solid in fact it makes my WASE feels like a toy.

but i wasn't very used to the control so it took some getting used to. esp since i only string flying clamps at home.

but it went ok. probably not as fast as i can with my own machine.

after that i came home, and used my WASE to string another racket. and then i realize, damn, i am not as smooth as i was before on my very own machine! some of the already smoothen process i have forgotten to do, or done not as smoothly.

anyway.

it was still kinda sad to come home to my own machine. the ES5Protech is very sweet.

2. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    It's easy to get spoiled by a high end machine. A few months ago, I went to my friends house to hang out and watch him string his daughter's racket for a tournament the following morning. We'll a few beers later and lots of procrastination, time was running out, and he asked me to string the racket since I was faster and less drunk. His was a Gamma 5003 that I sold him a year ago. I was able sting the racket in about 20 mins, but fighting it all the way. The base clamps were out of adjustment and were very sticky, while having to use the crank, no Wise 2086 Pro. :sad:

That experience taught me good lesson that night. I now have a higher appreciation of owning a high end machine and not taking it for granted. Though your experience is opposite, you got a taste of what a high end machine feels like, then when you go back to you own machine you find out how much harder you are working.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    About six months ago, I switched back to the Gamma 6004 from the Victor C-7030 due to the greater feel and more hands on tasks of the manual stringing process. There is something lacking in automated environment with the help of sensors and computers.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Covina, what machine do you use?

5. CovinaStringer

Babolat Sensor and Gamma 6004 with a Wise 2086 Pro. Yeah, I'm spoiled.:D
    I just got the Sensor right after New Years.

#5 CovinaStringer, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    How do you like the badminton shoulder supports of the Sensor?

7. CovinaStringer

I don't use the Sensor to string badminton rackets. I was told the badminton kit was like $350, which include badminton billiards and clamps. Though I could probably use fly clamps on the crosses.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I cut my teeth (and still use) a Pro's Pro Pilot (basically an Eagnas Combo 800), and when I had a go of the ES5Pro I actually went faster as far as clamp manipulation; pulling tension, I can't really compare, as it's crank v. electronic. Those Yonex clamps really are Rolls Royce:).

I'd most definitely agree that you get into a groove with your own machine and its little quirks. I've stripped my machine down and Loctited every thread and greased every mating surface, and now it's better than new, but people who've used the stock machine would be very confused if they had a go. I just wish a WISE would be delivered to me erroneously...:D

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    visited Synergy (again. :) ) and this time strung Janet's new ARC9FL on Alan's ES5Pro (not the Protech). damn. i think after string with flying clamps for so long, i cannot string swivel clamps anymore. i keep forgetting to tighten the base.

and having UberMaster AK staring at me stringing make me super duper nervous.

in the time it took me to string one racket, he almost finish 2, and that's including talking to customers and answering the phone (while stringing at the same time...)

10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

AK a stringer just like you, he should be so honored to have you chilling in his shop!

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hanging out was awesome and thanks for letting me use the ES5Pros.

will come visit again but hopefully not because Janet breaks another racket, i am getting broke!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    getting machine maintained is crucial! even the ES5Pros, i saw one of the Synergy guys applied WD40s because they use it so much things are starting to get sticky.

used it again this weekend. i am getting the hang of it. i didn't time myself but this time the whole process was smoother.