Yonex Nanospeed 9900 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Feb 5, 2009.

1. nz2010

nz2010 Regular Member

Did anyone try the NS9900 2U TW version? How was the paint/frame/feel compare to SP/AS/US? As I got one NS9.9k NZ code 3U/G4 and feel a little light for me but still powerful, so I would like to buy a 2U version hoping more power and can play single. Can someone rate the 2U and 3U in term of (feel, power, control, defence, maneuverability)? Thanks.

#641 nz2010, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    ns 9.9k 2u appear in any other code than tw and jp?

3. rapidfire

rapidfire Regular Member

What string do u all prefer for ns9900?

4. nz2010

nz2010 Regular Member

According to yonex catalogue that someone posted on this forum it will be NBG95 and BG65Ti. If you want more power I think BG85 very good too but not as durable as 65 and 95. Problem with BG65Ti is the tension, you should string it at 1 or 2 more lbs in case tension drop.

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I recently cut the strings off my NS9900 to prepare for a new restring and simultaneously removed the grip. Out of curiousity I measured the dry balance point without the string and grip.

It turned out the be 305mm. Is this considered head heavy? :D

6. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    overgrip or replacement grip?

7. Blitzzards

I use towel grip with my NS9900. The dry balance point was however measured without both the string and grip (so empty frame and bare/naked wooden handle).

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Just restrung my Nanospeed 9900 @ 26lbs, (Victor VS850 string) will be able to test it tomorrow, I haven't used my NS9900, in over a month, so I will want to see if it is able to convince me away from my SW35. I need to make a decision between NS9900 and SW35 for a tournament I have soon.

9. Voldemont

Voldemont Regular Member

@LD rules, you are already in love with your SW35, aren't you? ;)
    I bet you will stick with SW35.
    I did. Tried to switch back to NS9900 too, but it was already too late. The NS9900 was too headlight, less powerful but. I missed a lot of shots as the racket is too responsive, too fast.
    Good luck on your tournament. :D

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

well, I am not sure wheter or not I will switch back to the NS9900, I think I will switch to the SW35, full time for singles, but I will give the NS9900 a last try, in regards to singles, otherwise it will remain a doubles racket.
    Regarding the tournament: Thanks :D

11. Blitzzards

There's a simple reason why the NS9900 is mostly seen as a doubles racquet even though it is originally conceived as a repulsive "singles" racquet: you'll have to be on your top form if you want to use it effectively in singles.

Firstly the racquet is head light to even balance meaning that it won't help you in clearing or smashing or generating fast head speed (like how the Armortecs and the SW35 will due to their head weight) if you don't apply enough wrist flick. Then the racquet is pretty stiff meaning that if your swing is not consistently hard enough your shots won't come out effectively all the time compared to a slightly flexier racquet.

One of the only professional players who I think can pull it off using the NS9900 for singles will be Chen Hong, who has shown very good performance using the NS8000 in professional singles (some very good cases are his victories against LD in AE2005 final and BOTH TH and PG in WC2006). Most people would have thought the NS8000 (predecessor to NS9900, NS9000 is a little more different as it doesn't have the slim head profile, has the Elastic Ti in its frame instead of Fullerene like both NS8000 and NS9900 and is more even balanced) was more of a doubles racquet too as how the NS9900 is seen as now. Bao Chunlai also used it a lot during 2005 but his performance wasn't as significant as Chen Hong's; both used to be 1st gen Ti-10 users in the professional singles circuit.

Thus simply put, in doubles one would not have to concentrate on game strategy and be subjected to game psychology as much as in singles and can therefore put more focus in using the NS9900 more effectively. Arguably NS9900 demands a higher strength input than most other "singles" racquets for making good shots although the shot power produced is amazingly significant at full power input ;)

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You are correct Voldemont just couldn't get used to it at all, I was too quick to the shuttle, looks like SW35 is the racket for me.:)

13. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I've just posted a video review of Nanospeed 9900 on my blog www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Whilst some of you would prefer the technical stuff like balance point to mm, I prefer to test a racquet based on performance and compare to other models from the same manufacturer for reference.

Hope you like it.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

14. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    hahaha... my ns 9900 n amortec 900p are already in the 'wrap'..meaning already into the museum...no longer in use...

2 of ea btw...:D:D

15. Vesped

Vesped Regular Member

Student
    do the CH coded ns9900 have CH in bold written on the shaft above the cone like the SP coded racquet's pictures do earlier in the thread?

16. justsomekid

justsomekid Regular Member

school
    yep the ch coded ones do(got one myself) but the tw coded doesnt, wierd eh :)

17. Vesped

Vesped Regular Member

Student
    ahh thanks :) yeah it confused me as well cos the UK coded racquets i have dont have those :/

18. Smash-Tajam

Smash-Tajam Regular Member

IT
    I have AT900P, AT900T, and NS9900, all 3U.
    I feel very comfortable with both AT900P & T, and I totally agree with the description for NS9900 regarding its
    stiffness and light weight for Doubles play, but why do I feel the NS9900 vibrates a lot at impact as if its a cheapo racket ?
    I have sore elbow after the game with NS9900, I don't have this elbow problem if I use only the AT900.
    They are strung at about the same tension, 25-26lbs.

19. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    i don't have sore elbow... only sore 'ego'... hahahahaha....

mine's strung at 29 btw... but nowadays,they're 'rested'....

20. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    @Smash-Tajam&T-Maker,

pls PM me if you guys keen to let your ns9900s go. i have been using at900p too and just manage to get hold of this. but i feel it is doing better for me. agree that it 'vibrates' a bit more but darn, it feel good at net and taking harsh smashes.