Yonex vs LiNing vs Victor

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Simon Loh, May 10, 2011.

1. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    But i saw in another webpage says VT 80 is only 295 balancing point.

2. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Not personally no. Just basing off lots of different opinions, including those of the SW35 vs both the VT80 and MX80.

No chance. I have a second I'm supposed to sell. That is also around 314mm strung with BG66UM. I'd say a naked VT80's BP is probably around 305mm. In-fact here is a post from Druss comparing BP's.

#22 Naim.F.C, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think it's officially rated between 290-300. Remember, balance point has to be measured with the racket unstrung. For example, my Lethal 70 balance point is about 315mm strung (and with original grip), when its official balance point should be 290mm.

4. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Yes , i agree balancing point stated in webpage is always unstrung .

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    See Druss's post quoted above. Out of 3 unstrung VT80's measured, all were 305mm BP or above.

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

What tensions do you string your rackets at Naim.F.C?

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Currently all at 24lbs mains and 26lbs crosses. Except on the MX80 where I use Victor's 80 grommet stringing recommendation where not all crosses are 26lbs. With the BG66UM this tension so far has been best for me.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Actually, many people say the Yonex ARCSABER Z-Slash is the best smashing racket Yonex has to offer, and it's not really head heavy. Being head heavy doesn't necessarily mean you will produce more power. (Arguably) the two biggest smashers in Men's Doubles used (one of them still does) the Yonex Ti-10, which is not that head heavy. Taufik Hidayat has got one of the biggest smashes in Men's Singles, and he uses the Z-Slash.

9. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I can't really talk for others, but I've noticed head heavy rackets definitely produce more power for me, but only after I have the strength and speed to wield them. For example, originally the MX80 was both faster and more powerful than the VT80, add to that, the VT80 just gave me achey shoulders and tired me out. After a week or so adjusting to it however, I believe I'm getting more power out of the VT80, and considering they are roughly the same stiffness, and the VT80 is actually lighter (feels much heavier though), I attribute that to the head heaviness. Once you adjust to the extra demand of speed and strength for a head heavy racket, the extra head weight (for me personally) really helps with inertia and momentum. I had the same thing going from the BS10 to MX80 as well.

In any case, I only used the Z-slash in one session and really didn't get on with it. Had too many mis-hits and problems with timing, and even then I didn't feel my smash was much different to my 8DX at the time. Also felt the Z-Slash had a really un-forgiving sweet spot. I can't really explain it too well, but it was a bit difficult to get consistent direct hits.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Naim.F.C, I think you're generally right. Head heavy rackets potentially produce more power than head light rackets. However, I think swing speed comes into play too. If a racket is lighter at the head, I suppose it can be swung faster? Therefore, a faster swing should produce more power? If you can swing a head heavy racket fast, it should mean you can swing a head light racket even faster. I think in the end, it comes down to personal preference.

11. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    It is not: Stiffness: SW35>NS9900, N9000x>N90II>N90 , it is not even extra stiff , just stiff (or even medium stiff compare to the SW35)
    but it has a very good power transfer.
    I play with the N90 for 1.5 years now, and it is still fine although I had some racket clashes, floor hits and ceiling hits ...:), and the handle never broke (With relation to that I already broke many handles before, but I changed my hitting technique as well)^^ But the paint and especially the grommets are very poor for such a high price. But I think in terms of durability there are hardly any other rackets on the market which can compete with the N90. So an good expensive racket which never breaks could actually an inexpensive racket.

Some players like me have too much power and swing speed for a head light racket, so when I change from the N90 to the N50 my arm feels like its gonna fly away when i do a powerful smash and when I overdo it, it even causes pain. When your body is limiting the swing speed and not your power and explosiveness it does mean that you should change to a heavier and more head heavy racket to produce more power. "I think in the end, it comes down to personal preference" and capability.

#31 greblu, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't really know on what grounds you make those claims? Any sources to this? I currently own 11 LN rackets, and knows some sponsored players as well. and the higher-end models have been very high quality stuff. I have yet to break a LN and I have broken many, many YYs in my days.. LN bought Kason which was one of the major Chineese manufacturers when going into badminton, which was a primary racket-producer for the junior national team etc., and to think the Chineese would allow their national team to use nothing but the best the chineese factories are able to produce seems very unlikely imop. they produced something like 3000 prototypes for the national-team to try when the took over from YY.. If that is not R&D intesive, then what is??

I agree that Victor is great :)

Actually I don't think YYs is overly expensive.. I think their later problems is more that they they seem to try to hard to compete with price, and is lowering the standards and try to take shortcuts (like the new voltric fram design) to be able to use cheaper graphite, and earn more revenue.

I think for example the SW 35 feels quite head-heavy (think it is something like BP 310)...

#32 twobeer, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  13. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Firstly, with respect to Li-Ning, I don't have links, but just search the N90 forum, especially the N90 II. Droves of people have had cracking grommets and so forth. I even made a few posts saying I thought it was unacceptable given the extortionate price.

I also have to disagree about Yonex's pricing. However you look at it, £190 RRP on a thin graphite racket is ridiculous. The mark-up must be exponential. Well over 100% if you ask me. That just isn't right. Honestly the RRP imo should be no higher than £120. Victor have far more reasonable prices and with better materials.

Lastly, from the many posts I've read talking about SW35 owners measuring their BP's (Jump-smash, Imaster, Maklike, CycliverBadminton etc), I'd say the racket's BP was closer to the 295+ mark. The majority seem to be below 300mm but a few break the 300mm barrier. With the VT80, N90 etc, I've not heard of a single one not being above 300mm BP, most are 305mm and above. So they are on average still head heavier by a decent margin.

14. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Here's a new marketing strategy applied by today's 90% production manufacturers (including badminton). By default, the manufactures put up a sticker on the products (e.g: rackets are on their handles, money currency depending on the country distribution). Which states the retail/original/manufacture/market price of the racket itself, plus if any, few specs of rackets, but very rare. Usually the price on sticker is higher by 30~35%, thus average costumers would think twice upon seeing the crazy price. Then here's the trick, seller/distributor then say would give discount from 25~30% if purchase from their store (within a month promo or so, or if having membership card of that particular shop). After discounted the price, for customer; it is a "happy ending" to have purchased cheaper-than-retail-price, while for seller; they could still earn 5~10% profits plus other benefits from manufactures if reaches the sales quota.

I know this because one of the badminton distributor in China mentioned something about "not believing" the price on the racket upon first glance! It's just a psychological tricks to "push-and-pull" customer's hearts from what they see! Hard to believe? come to China, Thailand, Indonesia (these are the countries i know the method works well) to every single LiNing/Yonex/Victor official stores, where they all would give you 20% off from the price on the sticker. Then come to a small-hardly-seen badminton shops, where the old-poor-looking-boss is able to give you discount up to 35% off, plus the free bag, free string, and if you know the boss very well,... he/she would give you some free nice badminton sleeve-shirt as well, yet still able to treat you like a king on his/her shop!

With regards on LiNing racket, yes.. hi-end rackets have very good durability with poor grommets at freaking expensive price. Why? i believe those who purchased LiNing products, have indirectly contribute to pay off the sponsorships of all Chinese national players, plus the campaign, video promotional, events, etc..etc... not to mention tax for China government which would be used to level up China to being #1 strongest country on earth!

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The N90 feels quite alot head-heavier than VT80 (at least the ones i have tried).
    I have had two SW35s and they both measured well above 300 with unwrapped orig. grip.

If you judge the quality by some forum-posts on broken rackets I would say Yonex is the worst :). I think it is quite a poor indicator of quality.. Better just ask a stringer or shop who sells lots of racket, how many gets warranty claims etc..if you want the feel of quality for a certain model.
    Do you own any LN rackets yourself?

16. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Nope. I was tempted to buy an N90 but after reading comments about broken grommets from all over the web, I decided against it. Plus, I read several comparisons that said the VT80 and N90 were very similar, but the VT80 was slightly faster and more precise. So in the end, that coupled with the better (imo) art work of the VT80 made me go with that instead.

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

What exactly is the BP of the N90? From what I've read, the BP on the VT80 is at least 305mm on average. I doubt the N90 is much more?

Not really. It could simply mean more people use Yonex, and therefore more people report broken rackets.

18. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    The BP of my N90 are 304mm, 305mm, 306mm. But the 306 has thicker strings than the 304^^(all S2 with a thin overgrip on the wood handle)

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Thanks. So the BP of the N90 sounds objectively the same as the VT80.

20. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    My VT80 has a BP of 314mm with Super Grap overgrip (on top of the original grip) and BG66UM strings. It's at 306mm BP now, but that's with RKEP G11 (a very heavy over grip) with quite a lot of overlapping, and gripped quite high up the handle. I'd imagine the average VT80 has a higher BP than the N90. I've heard most VT80's are anywhere from 305-308mm BP without strings.