Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Confirm Nadzmi one of the puppets that running in BAM la~ Chief of the puppets. Once he starts telling the truth or do something not based on plan, somebody's gonna head-shot him down immediately.

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I just don't understand why he accept the talk show interview session, when he has no intention to answer those questions. Intact the two hosts looks irritated with his respond too. Usually the two hosts are lively. But I've to admit that Nadzmi is good in beating around the bush. From experiences, I know it's not easy to answer questionsm without answering them. He can lead people away....

3. livewire

livewire Regular Member

ln my opinion, it's because of the 'kafe sukan' show...
    lf it is... 'dengan izin'... l think the host will be much more aggresive especially when questions not really being answered :)

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    imagine if i am there to ask question
    hehe

5. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Nadzmi will play around the bush again? LoL. . . But in real world where the earth has been polluted by a being named *Human*, you'll be pulled out by some guys because of asking questions that the president himself can't answer. ( not because he don't know, but because he'll be shot immediately )

6. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    images.jpg images (1).jpg

Hhm, why did Malaysia fared so badly in Thomas Cup ah?
    Hhm, what would Malaysian think if more officials than coaches go to London Olympics? Aiya don't care la.
    Hhm, how can I sit on the president chair as long as possible?
    Hhm, how to hire someone with the quality to manage BAM ah? Even I myself don't have that quality.
    Hhm, if I can recommend someone to take my place, then I help him, he help me la.

7. SibugiChai

YAB
    indeed, but the way he beat around the bush really irritating. Even the hosts also look kinda piss off

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/10/4/sports/20121004074036&sec=sports

KUALA LUMPUR: South Korean Park Joo-bong is set to make a comeback to Malaysia in January as the director of coaching, rather than a project manager, with the BA of Malaysia (BAM).

After a meeting between BAM’s top brass and National Sports Council (NSC) director-general Datuk Seri Zolkples Embong, it appears that Joo-bong will be on the first flight to Malaysia come January.

But BAM president Datuk Seri Mohd Nadzmi Salleh stopped short of revealing the name of the candidate they are looking to hire, although there were enough hints to confirm that Joo-bong is their man.

Joo-bong, who is contracted to the Japan BA as head coach until next March, had earlier revealed his interest to take up a position with the BAM.

He also became the frontrunner for the position after several local candidates failed to win any favours during the last BAM exco meeting, headed by Nadzmi.

But instead of a project manager who will oversee three squads – singles, doubles and the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) – to produce world beaters for the Olympics in 2016, 2020 and 2024, Joo-bong now seems likely to land the position of director of coaching – equivalent to the previous high performance director’s role.

“We had a good discussion with the NSC on several issues that require their approval and the position of a director of coaching was one of them,” said Nadzmi after the meeting.

“We have basically zeroed in on one prime candidate and we will announce his appointment when the time is right.

“What we can say is that he’s an excellent choice to be the director of coaching, with a good background in badminton and has already shown indications that he’s interested in the job.

“There will be more discussions with him because he’s still under contract with another country until early next year.

“We are looking to hire him as early as in January next year and are willing to pay off the remainder of his existing contract.”

Joo-bong, the national chief coach from 2000-2003, is likely to be offered a three-year contract with an option for extensi on.

BAM will also be using the Denmark Open (Oct 16-21) and the French Open (Oct 23-28) to further negotiate with Joo- bong.

9. SibugiChai

YAB
    Bam has so many administrators... So who will be held responsible ah?

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no one.
    nothing to be responsible.
    all the blame goes to player who dont want to win,feel content and not committed to training.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Perhaps we should set out the ground rules about BAM as the final authority and the so-called full authority to be given the new director of coaching, now believed to be Park Joo-bong. This relationship cannot be the other way around, simply because one is the paymaster the other an employee, albeit a 'high-class' and privileged one.
    Now, for starters how about some ground rules on what constitute full authority for the director of coaching? Any volunteers? How about starting with limsy first and then all others who are waiting for this moment to 'shackle' BAM?
    Your opinions will also reveal what you are too!

12. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Start the ball rolling yourself first. Let us see what your are too.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so far cant recall any constructive sentence from him
    its hindsight bias with empty talk after all.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Taneepak, of course that is an impossible answer. Without knowledge of the structure and process, it's difficult to provide definitive opinion of altering this.

Certainly, we know the outcomes are less than satisfactory. Is it the structure that is a problem that leads to process problems. Or is just the process problem? Certainly what we do know is there is a problem(s) as the outcomes are less than satisfactory and have been for many years.

I think many people would like to know your opinion on how things can be improved.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I do not feel that it is that difficult to separate the two roles, BAM management and the Director of Coaching (DOC).
    BAM has much wider authority and it empowers the DOC a specific area of responsibility with the necessary authority.
    The problem, if any, is the role of the DOC. This is because a DOC has just one job, and a big one. THis may surprise some of you. The DOC's sole role is to develop and improve coaches so that players maximize their potential at all age. Does this role suit Park Joo-bong, considering his contract is only for 3 years? Can he hire and fire any coach to attain his objective? What are Park Joo-bong's own minimum requirements or power he should be demanding from BAM to be an effective DOC? To come in blind with too many loose ends to be resolved when problems crop up (playing by ear) is often the reason for playing the blame game when the DOC does not perform to expectation. This is one main reason why coaches who fail use as an 'escape' because he was not given enough power.

16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Assuming that you have nip the problem in the bud, what is the solution then? What do you propose to counter this problem of:

1. Park Joo Bong's under-qualified experience for the job
    2. Park Joo Bong short term 3 years is too short a stint
    3. Park Joo Bong coming in blind (how much are sure that he is blind or totally have no idea about how to go about planning?)
    4. Coaches who fail because he is not given enough power (yes that is what we have been saying for ages because of too many cooks spoiling the broth). What you are bringing up is redundant. So what do you suggest?
    5. Can he fire or hire coaches. (again this is up to BAM, this remains to be seen). If you are saying this is a problem, then virtually anyone in this position as a coach will foresee the same problem, not only Park Joo Bong.

I think I speak a lot for the badminton community who feels that the person in charge should be a technical person ie a coach, and not a corporate fella. Sure this coach answers to BAM, but at least, squares go to squares, circles go to circles. The head coach should be given enough authority that he can at least do his job without unnecessary meddling.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I cannot with certainty opine about what Park Joo-bong's job description sheet will be. But, I am certain that he is not suitable to be a true director of coaching, which is a much bigger job. Park will be an excellent coach for a specific area say under the closest thing we have today of a director of coaching, namely the sometimes hated but respected China 'Great One' (not Tong si-fu).

A DOC's sole job is to develop and improve coaches to maximize the potential of players of all groups, all ages, mainly to achieve long-term success than short-term wins. Yes, the job is like one in a successful corporation where there is a corporate culture with great depth so that there is always backup people to replace old 'champions' at all time.
    Since this is specific to badminton, the DOC must of course have some technical background of the game but often past great players are not necessarily good DOC material because they come up short in other more important areas.
    Maybe, Park Joo-bong will be better off limiting his job sheet to bringing short-term wins to Malaysia's men's singles and doubles for say less than 5-8 years. But a DOC's job is for longer periods of success and this takes time and the power to hire and fire coaches. Hiring and firing coaches and replacing them with better ones may bring better technical gains but this may disrupt the whole team's morale and commitment which may be even more costly and disastrous.
    Take a look at China's 'Special One'. He has been on the job a long time. He has absolute power to hire and fire coaches yet he keeps the team's morale high and committed. Also, do you notice China's style of play? It has not changed because it has been an established playing style culture, which makes upward mobility of players seamless. Once you change a team's playing style every time you get a new chief coach this destroys the culture.

18. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I am sure, if not disillusioned, that one of the main reasons Park is roped in is the hope that he can bring in results and gold for coming Olympics, which is within the time period of your 'short term' 5-8 years. This are the dire demands of BAM in response to public's growing uneasiness and unrest with BAM's lackadaisical attitude bordering on 'neither here nor there' awareness on management. In hindsight, even Nadzmi himself knows that he himself, or the High Performance Team is not up to the job, maybe even a sham in the first place. We all know that DOC's priority is to supply a continuous stock of 'batch talented players' that make the cut as seniors leave the scene to retire, but the fact is BAM has been returning empty handed in terms of 'quantity and quality' players reflecting a dire need of transformation in management after sitting on the management throne for more than 10years. In other words, helming with no real results to shout about. This is why Park is roped in. They need nothing short of a miracle. I'm sure they had considered local coaches but the fact is, BAM's desperation speaks for itself.

We do not know how long BAM will employ Park, neither do we know the time period specified for Park to bring fruition. If let's say after 1 or 2 years BAM again blows wind in opposite direction for some reason we cannot comprehend, then is it Park's fault? So the main point here is how much time is allocated to Park to produce prototypes.

On whether Park is suitable for the job, I rather say it is the 'time' factor and not his 'qualification' factor. Do you even know what is paper qualification is as a coach, excluding his achievement as a player? He now has a Phd in sports science. Now you mentioned that in the past, great players do not necessarily turn out to be a great coach. This applies to all sports. But would you rather have a doctor treating a patient, than 'NOT' one treating a sick person. Same applies to sport, although a great player does not necessarily becomes a great teacher, so does that mean that all past great players are automatically given that sentence? You might want to ask yourself where you are heading with this 'conclusion' here. Or perhaps you are saying BAM should in fact be spending the $$$ on their own cronies.

You mentioned hiring and firing coaches disrupts team morale and commitment. I am surprised to hear that coming from you, a high ranking manager managing a big firm as human resource coming and going is a natural part of the scenario of a corporate sector. First of all, in any post, the respect for the person given the mandate to manage the coaching activities is utterly critical for work to be carried out, without which morale will dip. In fact it is the person(s) given the authority to handle but yet possessing no proper technical skills and experience whom players will not place respect on, hence the dip in morale and commitment which you mentioned. Still, I thank you for your contribution as now a little more picture is painted with your paint brush.

#1058 Pakito, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Well we all know Park Joo-bong was in Malaysia before and the results and subsequent standard of badminton speaks for itself. It is pointless blaming the other party for not achieving because a DOC, if he is worth his salt, would have negotiated all the terms of his employment before taking up the offer.
    An ex-champion plus a Phd in sports science do not guarantee a good DOC. A good DOC should also be tops in interpersonal skills with coaches and the BAM management, and this requires great problem solving ability and managing disagreements.
    Take a look at China, Korea and even Taiwan. They seem to have a consistent culture style of play with consistent performance from one generation to the next. Malaysia brings in one coach like Li Mao and then he leaves and Misbun takes over, resulting in a 'culture' shock in style for play for LCW. Now if you bring in another coach for LCW with a different culture there will be no seamless mobility from one generation to the next.
    Perhaps, Park is best for short term problem for a temporary fix but future generation must then follow his style. Also whatever culture style for Malaysia must be suitable for Malaysians, using their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. Power play and fighting spirit are not Malaysia's forte, so it best to adopt a style more suited to Malaysians.

20. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Somehow I feel it's a mocking, rather than an opinion.