The Walkover & Withdrawal issue - rights and wrongs

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cobalt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    An apology immiedeately followed up by another insult :). Whats your age and profession btw? How close do you follow the players and their medical conditions?

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Did you watch the game? Do you think it was match fixing? Why play to 4-1 if it was not a real injury?

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

By not playing his max, TH has already sentenced himself by letting we all to see. IMO he has nothing to prove anymore to anyone. As he said, he's playing now to enjoy the game that he loves, I dont see any problem with that. I even think that its incredible that TH still has that spirit to keep on playing despite everything and its also incredible that he can play at the top level despite evrything. To me thats shows how good TH is, at his best no one can come close to him, he's the best the world has ever seen. He's done it all and win everything possible (except AE where he went to final twice) so I think its normal and can happen to all of us, we can at some stage of our life look back and be delightfull that we have done something meaningfull and its time to slow down now.

And so far away from giving WOs and fixing matches the way LYB and LD present the badminton world. What is the moral story that we can share to the children on that?? Sacrifice yourself to the country whichever possible manner.....?? That reminds me of Adolf Hitler.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    So you are saying it is OK for Taufik just to take it easy and "throw" games, because he is such an outstanding player trough history. But not OK for LD, to also be lazy?

You and I both agree we dont like the "communist" thinking with the collective over the individual.. But I am openminded to accept that that is the way China is today.. Hopefully they will get more freedom and more focus on the individual rather than the "country", But I dont make such a big deal out of it.. its good and bad, and you can't deny that there are benefits for china with their "team spirit" as well..

#124 twobeer, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I watched but there are so many that no one knows which is genuine and which is not.

I SURRENDER....

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    OMG, Did CHN players give another W/O to teammates again?

And I commented;

As it stands, TS reported;

He Hanbin/Bao Yixin defeated Xu Chen/Ma Jin [4] 21-19, 1-4 (Retired in 21 minutes).

#126 chris-ccc, Oct 2, 2011
  7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

OK thats the kind of excuse that lazy BWF can use. And thats why I suggest on post #41:

2. If a player WOed againts his/her opponent from the same country for a total of 4 times in the last 24 months (or 2 times during 9 or 12 months), he/she will served a total banned from participating BWF sanctioned tournament for at least 6 months.

It is the pattern that happens over and again. One time WO maybe fine, but I lost count how many LD throws WO in the last 24 month or so. Please let me know why, BWF can not enforce some kind of rule or penalty based on this facts and evidence.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    After losing the first game, while leading at 4-1 after a smash, Xu Chen pointed at the right side of waist at the back. Asked for the tournament doctor but when the doctor came with the spray, he declined and shooked the umpire's hand.

Got to leave BC for dinner.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The only thing these rules will achive is that playrs will play with injuries, to avoid bans, and matches will be boring.. as they will be played even with a injured, unmotivated, or ill player. I dont see how this would make any changes to anything to the better really...

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Hahahahaha......i guess the word "Again" is not such a big deal in CHN these days Chris. We may need ask our grand fathers what is was like before they left mainland.

#130 Yoppy, Oct 2, 2011
  11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

BWF should at least investigate by - 1) insisting an independent doctor/s check on the injury. If toe injury, do a scan, have 2 to 3 different doctors check. If back injury,scan. If fever, take temperature. If all the doctors said, fine, no injury what, ehem...... interrogote : Why you say injured when no muscle tear,etc, this is not 1st time. You say pain, why only pain why you play your team mate? What stunt you trying to pull here? Ok, that was a bit too police detective drama type :p

Next time another walkover, do it all over again, make it harder for any Oscar winning displays.
    If it was the Lawn Bowling Association, they would have meted out fines long ago, and questioning the player, the opponent, coaches.(refer previous pages involving decision made on intentionally losing, though they played)

#131 eaglehelang, Oct 2, 2011
  12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes TH turn up gave his best (even if with his lazy laid back style) and go home. No match fixing, no politics, not following anyone's order, not giving preference to any party. Compare that to LD, he hides behind LYB shadow and the big wall to cover his shame and ego.

You are too nice Twobeer, you remember how the Berlin wall felt? or how the CCCP crumbled? And Sadam Hussein was thrown out? Was there nothing done from outside?

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes I admit that. It will just change the modus operandi from WO to injury, but at least they will have to perform the drama. And being CHN player you will be required to be a good actor and actress on top of being good badminton players. I will enjoy that comedy, wouldn't you?

14. flite

flite Regular Member

Not only to China but his super die hard fans as well. As team China keeps on giving walkovers, more "spectacular stories/excuses" pops up and every new "stories/excuses" is getting more and more entertaining than the previous ones.... and its coming from the fans of course lol.

#134 flite, Oct 2, 2011
  15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Step 1: acknowledge that a problem or issue actually does exist.
    Step 2: desire to do something or contribute something towards the resolving of that problem.

However, you just took one step forward and two steps back!! :D To "accept the way it is" even if it is patently against rules, spirit, sportsmanship, norms, (even that very country's norms just 2 decades back) is to give legitimacy to the very problem we are discussing!!!

In your statement "...benefits for China with their team spirit" you could just as well replace "China" with "XYZ" and the statement would still be true. However, have you noticed that no other country has attempted historically, to "institutionalize" such behaviour that way China seems intent on doing? So, is China right in their approach because it justifies their specific ends, and everyone else is wrong and be damned with them?

There are 2 distinct approaches to this issue:
    1. Condone the arrogance and misdeeds that are being foisted on the game.
    2. Find a way to stop it by creating a system of checks and balances within the framework of rules of the BWF.

Do you advocate the first approach?

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    If CHN send more participants to tournaments, the Finals will be unpopular to watch

Actually I have heard from die hard fans of China that they are also not interested to watch CHN-vs-CHN matches.

The suggestion for CHN to send not more than 2 participants to tournaments is good.

China, being such a strong Badminton-playing nation, will probably cause fewer BCers to follow the Semi-Finals and the Finals events of tournaments if CHN is to send more participants to tournaments. :eek::eek::eek:

17. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Does it really matter? I enjoy them all the same. When we watch a movie, we know it's fake. Yet everyone enjoys it, at least once in a while. We won't say to ourselves, "hey, no fun, it's not reall".

Don't forget all these tournaments are first and foremost competitive events, and other organizations like BWF double them up as an entertainment for fans. From the participating countries standpoint, it's of this order of importance. It has always been like this long before they televise those tournaments, or selling tickets to 10s of thousands , encouraged by the convenience of today's transportation.

I can certainly understand how a paying fan might feel upset. But that'd be a systemic problem - how could organization BWF come up with a system that satisfy the athletes and the fans alike?

18. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'm curious, what'd have happened if a player simply withdraws, without giving any medical reason? What's the penalty? I know I can look up the "Code of Conduct" book someone posts sometime ago, but I'm just too lazy. After all, it's not my job to police anyone. Just trying to have a casual conversation here.

19. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Not sure if/how you can prove this either. CHN has a lot of good players getting into major tournaments. As such, it's more often to see CHN player against his team-mate. If the same frequency could happen in any other countries, then maybe we can talk about patterns there.

In the case of JO, e.g., you notice that 2 JPN players ran into each other. Naturally, one would lose. Would you complain that the match is not real, as the losing side lost in straight games with only 13-14 points each?

20. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Really, would that be a way to solve the "dilemma" for you? After much talking, it's actually about comedy/entertainment value?