P. V. Sindhu पुसर्ला वेन्कटा सिन्धु

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 20, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    She did! Straight games again, but only just, at 21-17, 22-20. Is she on another of her mini giant-killing runs? The quarters will tell. She will be facing JYJ, and will need to be very quick and accurate to put it across the 4th seed.

Darn! Still no video of her recent games... :(

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Unfortunately she won't feature on the TV court in the QF. No CHN either.

Strangely, while the BWF broadcast is on, 3 MAS matches will be seen with LCW v TH the highlight.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    That's an excellent result for Sindhu. :):):)

It's great that Sindhu has not felt the pressure at this 2012 India Open SS tournament so far.

But with Saina Nehwal [3] and Neha Pandit [Q] being eliminated yesterday, I hope Sindhu will remain relaxed and perform at her best in her next match against China's Jiang Yanjiao [4] at the Quarter-Finals.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=3B18A3AB-FF73-4577-8A05-A4B8CFE1CA8F&draw=4

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Gutsy Sindhu goes down fighting against world number 7 Jiang
    PTI | Apr 27, 2012, 07.36PM IST

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...world-number-7-Jiang/articleshow/12898407.cms

Excerpts:

NEW DELHI: Rising shuttler P V Sindhu showed indomitable spirit before going down fighting against world number seven Yanjiao Jiang of China in the women's singles quarterfinal of the India Open Super Series.

The 16-year-old Sindhu showed tremendous grit and maturity as she made the fourth seed Chinese work hard for points before losing 18-21 21-12 21-18 in an intense 56-minute match.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Next closes in on the best
    Jonathan Selvaraj : New Delhi, Sat Apr 28 2012

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/next-closes-in-on-the-best/942561/

Showing why she is reckoned to be the best prospect amongst India’s next generation of shuttlers, PV Sindhu took a game off World No.7 Yanjiao Jiang of China before going down 21-18 12-21 18-21 in just under an hour. Playing her first Super Series quarterfinal, she made the Chinese work for her points before the gap in experience played out.

Like the two top-20 opponents Sindhu played in her previous matches, Jiang too seemed unsure of how to deal with the largely unfamiliar 16-year-old. The scoreline after the first game reflected that. Sindhu flew to a 7-2 lead by capitalising on her opponent’s cautious aerial strategy. But where Sindhu’s previous opponents faltered, the Chinese adapted to the challenge.

Despite conceding early advantage, she realised that while the Indian was strong on the rally, she was not picking her net play. The next game was, for the most part, one-way traffic as Jiang varied her pace and kept dropping the shuttle in the front of the court. And while Sindhu still managed to retrieve the shuttle on her playing side, the point was lost when she was wrong footed on her left.

The comfortable victory in the second game put enough momentum behind Jiang and she never trailed for the remainder of the match. Though Jiang produced a string of unforced errors to allow Sindhu to close the gap from 10-15 to 15-17, there was no alarming threat from the young Indian in the final game.

But despite the defeat there was no disgrace and coach P Gopichand was full of praise. “It was an exceptional performance from Sindhu. This is the highest level and the way she has played against a couple of top-20 players in the tournament, it was amazing,” Gopichand said. “I was confident of her performance because I know her potential but she was playing a much higher-ranked player and even though she has lost, there are a lot of positives to take. She needs sustained exposure and motivation,” he added.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This must be exciting, and a first for young Sindhu!!
    She is the top seed at the Malaysian Open GPG starting at Johor Bahru on May 2nd.
    Here's wishing her all the best. :)

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Sindhu is really promising.. Great to see a lot of young talented shuttler, especially from a country which Badminton is not their main sports.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I missed this blog earlier, but it is worth reproducing here. Gives us a peek into the other dimensions of a player, as a person with many interests and intelligence.

Badminton on court, Sanskrit off court – the Sindhu way
    T S Sudhir
    May 17, 2012

http://tsr.net.co/2012/05/badminton-on-court-sanskrit-off-court-the-sindhu-way/4473

After a three-hour long gruelling session on court, P V Sindhu is relishing her breakfast of puri-subzi and watermelon juice at the canteen at the Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy. Destresser is in the form of a loud Telugu film showing on the 32” inch LCD, which Sindhu tells me, is an “entertainer”.

What is your schedule for the rest of the day, I ask.

“I will go home now. I have to study. Tomorrow is my first exam,” she says.

As my eyebrows go up, she reveals with a meaningful pause, “And you know what, it is Sanskrit.” I cannot help but feel amused at the thought of India’s national badminton champion packing in both her sport and Sanskrit lessons into a day.

Sindhu is in Intermediate 2nd year (the equivalent of 12th class) and the next one week will see her more with her books and less with her badminton racquet.

“I am just prepared, not well-prepared. I study whenever I have time, which is not much, since I spend seven hours playing badminton and training at the academy. My target is just to pass. I am not worried since last year by studying for just one week, I got 70 per cent,” she says.

...How does she deal with all the talk that she will be India’s big medal hope in badminton at the 2016 Olympics? “Yes, everyone says that. I am happy to hear that. But I have to work very hard. Good results do not come so easily,” she says. No tall claims, Sindhu clearly has her feet firmly on the ground.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd place more hopes on Sindhu than Saina on whom I'd just let nature takes its own course. Saina has been on the international circuit for about 5 years now and I think this is about as far as she can go - compare her with LXR who in just two years,look what she's achieved and more to come. Of course,Saina's only 22 but some players start young and end early too. On the other hand,who can foretell the future?

Sindhu is starting at about the same age as Saina's before. I sincerely hope she doesn't make Saina's mistakes as far as the Indian media and the coach are concerned. Start from a clean slate, adopt what's good from Saina's,learn from her mistakes, experiment,improve,innovate, above all concentrate on training and developing her game. And avoid talking to the press so much,if she must,do so after the tournament,not before and only on that tournament ,not the next one. Garner some good results first and she'll get used to the habit of letting her racquet do more of the talking and the media will over time know when is the best time to interview her.

Sindhu at 16 is in her growing up years, a good mentor and proper guidance in life and in badminton will do her a lot of good. Hope as she matures so will her game in due course. May her badminton journey be a successful one.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    At the Thailand Open GPG beginning June 6, Sindhu is seeded 4 in the WS main draw. She meets a qualifier from Korea, Mi Jin Jung in round 1, and if she gts through, has an interesting match-up in round 2: either Bella of Indonesia, or the resurgent Wang Lin of China! Exciting times for Sindhu, ahead. :)

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    PV Sindhu bags Asian Youth badminton title

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat.../32588514_1_pv-sindhu-singles-title-badminton

M Ratnakar, TNN Jul 8, 2012

Excerpt:

HYDERABAD: PV Sindhu created history by becoming the first Indian to win the girls' singles title in the Asian Youth Under-19 Championships at Gimcheon, Korea.

In the final on Saturday, Sindhu rallied to beat Okuhara Nozomi of Japan 18-21, 21-17, 22-20. The reigning national women's champion lost the first game but came back strongly in the second game.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sindhu dedicates title to parents and Gopi Chand

V. V. Subrahmanyam
    HYDERABAD, July 10, 2012

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle3621457.ece

P.V. Sindhu is delighted that she became the first Indian ever to win the junior Asian badminton championship girls’ title in Korea recently.

“I won a bronze medal last time in this championship. So winning the gold is a special feeling. I dedicate this to my coach and mentor P. Gopi Chand and to my parents,” Sindhu said in a chat with The Hindu at Gopi Chand’s academy on her return to Hyderabad.

The 17-year-old shuttler said her victory was possible largely due to an intensive training programme he chalked out recently.

The young champion feels she has to improve her strokes and endurance levels, even as she is happy with the way her smashes are working.

Sindhu, sponsored by Olympic Gold Quest, pointed out that of late she had been engaged in matches lasting more than an hour, and said she would work on staying focused and fit during such encounters.

“I am also grateful to the support staff like Anil, Rajendera and Siyadutt for helping me stay in the best frame of mind ahead of the big events,” Sindhu said.

“I am also thankful to my parents, who travel about 50km daily to take me for training,” she said.

Gopi Chand said the title should do Sindhu a world of good.

“She has the talent, is willing to learn and works really hard. These traits should take her a long way.”

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sindhu is not the next Saina. She may be better

Abhijeet Kulkarni, July 12, 2012

http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/sindhu-is-not-the-next-saina-she-may-be-better-375991.html

Excerpts:

It is obvious for any layman to start comparing Sindhu to Saina. After all, both are the products of the Gopichand Academy and started making a mark on the international circuit by the time they turned 16.

But the similarities end there. Saina and Sindhu are two completely different individuals who even approach the game and their career in contrasting styles. While Saina’s approach is all about single-mindedness and grit, Sindhu is more relaxed and is very laidback outside the playing arena.

In the words of their academy mates, watching Saina play is a tense affair since she is fighting for every point and is always pumped up, while Sindhu can smile through tense situation and can come up with unorthodox strokes to break the shackles.

Back at the academy, Sindhu is part of every training session beginning from 4.30 in the morning. The naturally athletic body of the 5 feet 11 inch strapping teenager not only allows her to work harder it also helps her recover faster.

...However, the biggest reason to discourage any talks of Sindhu being the next Saina is because Saina is only 22 and in a year or two both the girls would be competitors on the international circuit and would look to outsmart and outplay each other.

Sindhu, the only women’s singles player to hold the junior and senior national crown together, has already started catching up with Saina and had she been playing on the senior international circuit could have made the Olympic cut.

She needed to break into the top-16 to qualify for the London Games. Sindhu managed to jump from 80 to top-30 in the last six months but ran out of time.

But by the end of this year, Sindhu will be sharing equal load of India’s challenge in the team championships along with Saina and also on the international circuit where the Commonwealth Games gold medallist said she felt the pressure of shouldering the weight of expectations all alone.

Sindhu has shown enough potential to believe that she can reduce the load on Saina. It is in the interest of Indian badminton that she carves a place for herself rather than emulate her more illustrious compatriot.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congrats to Sindhu for a great performance.

May she continue to improve in the senior ranks and make a mark for herself and her country. :)

Well done, Sindhu!

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    National Badminton Champion P V Sindhu conducts Badminton Training Clinic

SportsKeeda
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/07/...-v-sindhu-conducts-badminton-training-clinic/

Excerpts:

Faridabad: A joint initiative taken by Manav Rachna Sports Academy and Yonex-Sunrise organised a day long Badminton Training Clinic under the guidance of Asian junior champion P V Sindhu at the Manav Rachna Sports academy.

...The 17-year-old, who was the only second player after Prakash Padukone to hold the junior and national singles crown together, gave tips to the 60-odd budding badminton stars who participated in the extensive training clinic divided into two sessions, under the supervision of former junior national coach Sanjeev Sachdeva.

Explaining the technicalities of the game and briefing the aspirants about the real life pressures, the Asian Junior Champion urged the children to work hard and lead a disciplined life. She encouraged these youngsters to dream big as she had at their age.

...Much of India’s sporting talent, in various disciplines has come from remote and rural areas. Recognising the need to spread the game of badminton far and wide and nurture talent from the grassroots level, Manav Rachna Sports academy and Yonex – Sunrise conducted one day badminton training clinic for budding players as well as coaches at Manav Rachna Sports Academy today.

18. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    And she announces herself on the bigger stage by routing Olympic gold medalist Li Xuerui, that too in China.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Impressive show by sindhu although she lost to jiang yj. Hopefully she and sania can break the dominance of great wall.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wouldn't use the word routing. It may be too strong on LXR when she was defeated in 3 games at a time when she was short of training. Of course LXR will bounce back but credit must be given to Sindhu who could well be better than Saina, given the relatively short time that she was exposed to the senior ranks and already showing such good promise.

I can't remember Saina beating the top China WS at Sindhu's present age.

Sindhu's future will be brighter provided she continues to take her training seriously.