Doo6's ZYEXperiment

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by CoolDoo6, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

For your new TPSU measure, you might want to consider the cross-sectional area of the string rather than just the diameter. 2 * pi * r^2

So yes, each unit of string is at a lower tension, but, there are more units, and when you add them all up, you end up with a higher tension.

I'll try some idle speculation of my own...
    I reckon I'm heavier than you, because I'm fat. But, because of that there is more of me, and fat is less dense than muscle, so each unit of me is lighter than your units, so effectively I'm lighter than you.

P.S.
    did the string suffer much damage from being pulled through the holes without the grommets?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, grommetless stringing is the latest hype in tennis-land (Prince, I thought?) and with 1,25mm what's there to fear?

Zyex is definatly intruiging though...

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    i heard alot about natural gut strings but never seen it.Does anyone have some examples of it?how about from yonex?Do they have natural gut strings?

4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

The compsition of the String Unit is less important than the relative values of the Unit between different strings. To be pedantic, you would have to take into account of the density of the string material as well. For simple comparison, just pick any roughly compatible units between strings should be fine, such as crossection area, radius, diameter, circumference, etc.

When you put a 10lb load on a string, the tension on the string is 10 lbs. When you put a 10 lb load on 2 strings connected in parallel, each string is under 5 lbs tension. This anology applies when the string thickness increases.

The string had a tough outershell. Also the tension was minimal. I was more worried the string damaging the racket than the other way round. But I think neither will damage the other.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yonex makes Cyber Natural Gut 100 which is gut
    other are Gosen bioroots (no cattlegut, but plants, from this thread)
    and most famous: Babolat which makes 2-3 different natural gut strings for badminton..

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

what kind of a unit is TPSU? I've never heard of it...

anyhoo, from what I feel thicker strings are stiffer, making the "effective tension" (or whatever) feel higher...

7. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

TPSU is whatever you want it to be. If you haven't heard of it before, now you have.

When you are young, knowledge can only be given. As you get older, you will realise knowledge can be created on a mere wish. TPSU is one such creation.

Thick string can feel stiff because of its density. A brick under no tension is stiffer than any string, and one of the reasons is density.

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

you might use Young's Modulus rather than try to make up new stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.