Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Harvir Singh

Dr Harvir Singh Regular Member

Yes Madam
    You are well come to see the game either live or on tournamentsoftware.com
    With regards
    Harvir

2. Dr Harvir Singh

Sir
    Thanks for being very critical. I will explain her the details you have mentioned.
    Thanks
    With regards
    Harvir

3. Dr Harvir Singh

Sir
    Pray to almighty for better result.
    Harvir

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    All the best to Saina, Dr Singh :)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Possibly. It's became more noticable as the match progressed.

Fatigue is a funny thing - it's affected by mental condition as well as physical condition. Both factors may both apply.

I think those details I mentioned may not be noticable to average spectator. I find it very interesting to compare each player's movements and footwork skills.

Good luck to Saina in all her matches:).

6. Dr Harvir Singh

Sir
    Greetings. Yesterday she played very well against Seed 3 Current world champion. Saina lost in 3 sets. Fist she won may be fatigue overpowered her.
    Thanks
    Dr Harvir

7. jaydeep

jaydeep Regular Member

Very impressed with Cheung's observations about Saina's game ... I hope as Dr. Harvir Singh is regular member on this site he forward these observations to Saina and her coaches, like Gopichand.

Jaydeep.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thank you. I'm sure the coaches have spotted it. I hope that a different source pointing out the same deficiencies will help add extra motivation. I must admit I would never have realised the changes of acceleration on my own. I had a very good singles coach who taught me the movement (but now I'm too old.:):))

It's great to see Saina acheiving more. Funnily enough, we have an ex-Indian team player coming to our club in HK. Maybe that's perked up my interest in Indian players.:)

#128 Cheung, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I might be wrong... but I think Saina is better off playing for India in the World Junior Championship in NZ this week... instead of the Denmark Open... More playing experience and help India win something... A moral boost for Indian badminton in general...

10. Dr Harvir Singh

Sir
    Greetings. Mr Gopi Chand now and earlier Mr Aarif are doing their best for Saina to do better and better in badminton.
    Thanks for your observation
    With regards
    Harvir

11. shaunx

shaunx New Member

Engineer
    The first women badminon player...

Saina Nehwal is the first woman badminton player to win four international competitions. I think she is going to serve the nation for many years, but she needs to work on her speed and movement. Isn't it?suggestions.....

#131 shaunx, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2008
  12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

do you mean she's the first indian woman to do so?
    she can't be the first woman ever to have won 4.

#132 Dreamzz, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2008
  13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

she cant???:confused:
    why she cant??:eek::(:rolleyes:

14. wannabe

wannabe New Member

student
    Dear Saina

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Girl on the go

Newindpress
    Saturday May 24 2008

Pavitra Srivatsan

Olympic stars have been in her eyes, ever since she picked up a badminton racquet. But 18-year-old Saina Nehwal, national women’s champion and world number 30, knows that dreams don’t translate into reality on their own. A fan of Roger Federer, Saina hopes to see the tennis champion in action at the Beijing Olympics. But her real focus is on badminton and making an honest attempt at Olympic glory. “I am quite young. I’ve already played at the Commonweath Games and the Uber Cup. I have many more big matches to come,” says Saina in this interview. Excerpts...

What went through your mind when you qualified for the Olympics?

It has always been my dream to participate in the Olympics and win a medal. I know that won’t be easy. Qualifying for the Olympics is only the first step. Now, I have to play consistently and improve my ranking. I have gained good experience by playing on the international circuit and have a good idea of how the top players play. This experience will help me improve my game. I am currently working on my game at a two-month camp with coaches from various parts of the world. I hope to improve all aspects of my game.

Both your parents played badminton. Did picking up a racquet come naturally to you?

Although I was quite active in most sports, I started playing badminton fairly late. I was into karate for a long time. I took up badminton at the behest of my father, at a summer camp at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Stadium in Hyderabad. Badminton started as just as another activity, but soon, I started participating in tournaments and winning.

Did these wins motivate you to take badminton more seriously?

The wins made me very competitive. Having always been a runner, my stamina was good and, as I never liked letting the shuttlecock touch the ground, I would lunge and try to hit everything. In tournaments, I participated in both singles and doubles, playing non-stop from morning till evening. Once I started winning, I just wanted to get better and better.

You started playing in the senior circuit at a fairly young age.

Yes. I was only 14 when I participated in the senior circuit. I hadn’t played any under-19 tournaments at that time and I was obviously a little hesitant. Again, big names like Aparna Popat playing in the senior circuit then and I knew I had to raise my game.

How difficult was it for you to make the transition from the junior to senior level?

Initially, I lost a few matches, but I had my share of wins. In 2004, I lost to Aparna Popat. But then in October 2005, I defeated her at the Asian Satellite Badminton Championship, which I went on to win. Aparna was ranked 26th in the world at that time, so the victory was an amazing boost to my confidence.

Is it easier to win as a newcomer, when the burden of expectations doesn’t exist, or when one has become an established name?

Once you start winning, everyone automatically expects you to keep on winning. But I don’t let other the expectations of other people put me under pressure. I have played against most of the top players in the world now and have had many close matches. I keep learning from each match and focus on working hard.

What do you feel about the Chinese domination of the game?

There is no such thing as Chinese domination. The world number 1, a Chinese, is very good, but the rest are beatable. One of the major differences between the top three or four players in the world and the others is that they train together and get to practise together. When you have the world’s top two players practising together, the level of competition is high and this helps both players improve their strokes and stamina.

How are you preparing for the Beijing Olympics? What is your idea of ideal match practice?

I want to go abroad, play a few more international matches and get quality match practice before the Olympics. The Super Series events in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand, all scheduled for next month, are on my agenda.

Have you set any year-end goals for yourself?

I don’t want to predict what rank I will have at the end of this year or the next. Of course, I want to be the world’s best player one day. I am waiting for the right moment. Till then, I hope to remain fit and injury free. That is all that matters right now.

pavitra.srivatsan@gmail.com

Hellocard

Name : Saina Nehwal
    Nationality : Indian
    Highest ranking : 21
    Current ranking : 29

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Saina Nehwal gets to qualify to play at the Beijing Olympics 2008

Loh... It's great that 18-year-old Saina Nehwal gets to qualify to play at the Beijing Olympics 2008.

Hope that Saina will do well at the Super Series events in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand, all scheduled for next month, leading up to the Olympics.

:):):)

17. Dr Harvir Singh

Dear Sirs
    I thank all the veiwers of the blog on Saina Nehwal.I thanks one and all,.At present she is practicing in Malayasia and will reurn to India on 28 th June.
    yours sincerely
    Harvir Singh
    father of saina nehwal.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I'm very glad that Saina will be competing at the highest stage in Beijing. I hope to see her there as well as in Singapore next month. Hope she has grown taller, stronger and fitter and armed with an arsenal of potent skills. :)

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, she is currently training in Malaysia??
    under who?

20. Dr Harvir Singh

Training

Sir
    Exact name I do not know . It is the place where National team of Malayasia is getting training.
    Harvir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.