Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    :confused: ZN ? Who is ZN? Is it SN = Saina Nehwal. I thought you were referring to Zhang Ning until the word Rupees appears.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    SN = Saina Nehwal

I am sure that OneToughBirdie was posting, meaning;
    ZN = Zhang Ning, and
    SN = Saina Nehwal

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Zhaina Nehwal :D
    OTB getting all his girls mixed up; that's a bad sign! :D:p

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Typo...you are correct...I mean SN;):D

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Wait till we talk about seasoned and mature ladies, now I really got them all mixed up...LOL:D:p

6. flite

flite Regular Member

So i guess between ZN and SN, the former would be your pick!:D:p

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Let's stay with SN, this is her thread...honestly, 2011 IMO will see CHN WS dominate and a scramble to make CHN OLY12 team...that is my prediction.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Just found this atricle in a Mumbai paper, about 10 days old...

http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2010/dec/141210-Atik-Jauhari-Saina-Nehwal-London-Olympics-2012.htm

Saina will be Olympic champion: Coach Jauhari

By: Ashwin Ferro Date: 2010-12-14 Place: Pune

Ace shuttler's coach Atik Jauhari is confident of gold in London 2012

Indonesian master coach Atik Jauhari could not have wished to return home to Jakarta on a better high as he prepares to pack his bags given his contract with the Indian badminton team expires at the end of this month.

"Saina Nehwal's Hong Kong Super Series win (on Sunday) has been one of the most satisfying results of my 29-month long stint with Indian badminton. I can now happily go home and rest considering it's a job well done," the 62-year-old told MiD DAY from Hyderabad yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Saina Nehwal

No telephone call
    Surprisingly, even as Saina's mobile phone would have been continuously busy since Sunday as she would have been answering congratulatory messages from across the world, Jauhari and his ward have not had a chat. "We don't talk over the phone. I prefer to talk to her in person and so will be meeting her tomorrow at the Gopichand Academy," said Jauhari, who was all praise for the manner in which Saina calculatedly decimated her Chinese opponent Wang Shixian in the final.

Mental toughness
    "Saina could have easily lost the match after she went down in the first game. But it's mental toughness that got her through. She worked around Wang and eventually prevailed (15-21, 21-16, 21-17). It's a well earned victory," explained Jauhari, who has previously coached legends of the game like Indonesian Lim Swie King and India's Prakash Padukone.

For those who believe Saina's Asian Games disappointment was shocking, here's an antithesis. "There was less than a month between the New Delhi Commonwealth Games (Oct 3-14) and the Guangzhou Asian Games (Nov 12-27). And to add to this, since Saina won gold in Delhi there were loads of felicitation functions to attend too. This left her with absolutely no time to prepare for the Asian Games. So, I don't think her defeat in the quarter-finals of the Asiad is all that shocking," said Jauhari, even as he predicted a golden future ahead for the 20-year-old Hyderabadi.

Five years to peak
    "The golden age for a singles player is 25, so Saina has a long way to reach that peak age. Besides, most of her top opponents are older than her, which means they will quit the game by the time she hits her peak. I believe Saina will be an Olympic champion in London," said Jauhari.

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    That is bold prediction, to say OLY12 gold in LD...nothing to discredit SN win in HK10 but WSX has nothing left in her leg in the 3rd set and waiting for "Saina calculatedly decimated her Chinese opponent Wang Shixian in the final", that would be true if SN capitalized on WSX tiredness.
    The biggest obstacle facing SN and rest of the world WS are from CHN, OLY12 rules allow max 3 WS from one country if they finished in the top 4 WR. I predict 2011 will see CHN fight hard to qualify 3 player and SS winners will be dominated by CHN. If Jauhari meant Tine, WMC are gonzo in OLY12 because they are old, I agree but not CHN WS, they just hit peak time.
    OLY12 WS gold will be CHN, I bet on that. The world needs SN, otherwise WS is the same CHN vrs CHN, great players, great performances though but not the same as nation vrs nation.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The lastest news...

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata), Friday | December 24, 2010

BWF pulls up Saina for pull-out
    OUR BUREAU

Mumbai/New Delhi:
    Star Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal faces disciplinary action and a fine of $5000 after the Badminton World Federation (BWF) issued her a showcause notice on Thursday for pulling out of the BWF Super Series final, to be held in Taipei, next month.​

World No. 4 Saina pulled out of the Super Series final, to be played between January 5 and 9, citing a ligament strain in her left leg, the same injury that kept her out of the Indian Open Grand Prix, in Hyderabad, last week.​

Admitting that she has received a letter from the international body, Saina said: “They (BWF) have asked for documentary evidence of injury. I will be sending the papers tomorrow (Friday),” said the ace shuttler. ​

Speaking on the matter, Saina’s father Harbir Singh said: “The letter from the BWF says Saina’s withdrawal has been accepted, but it goes on to mention that we have to submit the proof (of injury) and that the matter will go to the disciplinary committee. ​

“We wanted to give her two weeks’ rest. That’s why she didn’t play last week. But the swelling, which subsided after some rest, came back after she started practising.​

“We will give the doctor’s certificate, that’s all we can do. We don’t know how they will decide.”​
    --------------------------------------------------
    *Full article : http://www.telegraphindia.com/1101224/jsp/sports/story_13342884.jsp

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol
    did cba get fined for 2008 and 2009?
    it will be a big fat money for bwf if they using same standard
    lol

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Aiya...BWF is a paper tiger when the real tiger LYB shows up and bark louder than BWF and BWF turns chicken...BWF only frighthen the small chicken who doesn't and can't fight back...anyway, in India, no problem getting doctor certificate, if BWF wants more, SN's dad can easily get more certificates...LOL:D:p

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So... there is nothing wrong with Saina in your opinion?

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would guess that SN's injury is true

I would guess that SN's injury is true because she has been indicating all along that she would like to win the WS title at the SS Masters Finals.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina Withdraws from Malaysian Open

Saina to skip Malaysian Open too

M Ratnakar, TNN, Jan 6, 2011, 01.52am IST

HYDERABAD: A nagging ankle injury forced Saina Nehwal to withdraw from the Malaysian Open Super Series, scheduled to kick off on January 18.

This would be the third straight tournament she will be missing after injuring her right ankle in the final of the Hong Kong Open Super Series on December 19.

Confirming this, chief coach of the Indian team Pullela Gopichand told TOI: "She is making rapid progress, but is not fit enough for such a big tournament. Hopefully, she will recover soon," Gopichand said, adding that the world No.4 will be fit to play the Korea Super Series.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ip-Malaysian-Open-too/articleshow/7225787.cms

16. avataar

avataar Regular Member

what makes saina special is the consistency of her performance in top level over the last few years and her ability to bounce back from nagging injuries

this hasnt been the case with quiet a few recent young indian players, starting with
    - anup sridhar : talked abt a lot after his win for TH at the 07 WC and then has just faded away after persistant injury issues.
    - arvind bhat : came back to top action post 27yrs of age and after recuperating from injury. did well in 08 and early 09 but again very inconsistent performances since then
    - aditi mutatkar : to me if she only managed to stay fit, this girl can do wonders. she is the only other indian player who can disturb saina. after a wonder year in 08 and a promising start to 09 where she was competetive even against chinese players, she has been plagued by injuries .... (though she is now in the finals of the indian nationals)

her adulation is purely because of her ability to be able to bring in results and all her glory is well deserved....

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Avataar, you are quite right. Most of the Indian shuttlers are fundamentally laissez-faire, and believe that pushing themsleves completely out of their comfort zone is not really worth it in life. The sub-continental physique, lifestyle, culture and default diet all do not lend themselves well to excelling at a game like badminton, where agility, speed, strength and explosive power need to be allied to skill, deception, grace and lightness of foot. So they need to overcome many fundamental obstacles, i.e., work harder and put themselves totally out fo their comfort zone with single minded determination. Just like Saina has done. But how many are willing to do that? Nowadays we see even the younger players from powerhouses like Malyasia and Indonesia with the same easy-going attitude. Its really a shame.

18. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

[
    I think there's also a subtle change in culture and mentality in the younger generations these days which contribute to their mediocrity. Hard work and persistency are no longer considered as absolute virtue in modern day life. Those virtues have often been distorted and labelled as 'uncooled' by those people who are used to very comfortable life(majority of the folks who were raised in big cities). Rather people who took something seriously and work hard to excel in a field are often thought as 'freaks'. Popular derogatory words like 'nerds' and 'geeks' are byproducts of such culture. And yes, you get penalized for not being 'ordinary' enough, which is why you see more and more youngters are engaging in idiotic acts(excessive drinking and loitering in clubs doing absolutely nothing) out of peer pressure.

The ease of gettting into higher education (compared to few decades ago) doesn't help either. After all who want to train hard and get your muscle sore everyday? You can do so much better by just enterting a local university, party almost everynight and still get out of the university with a degree. And with that degree, you generally won't have much trouble getting a job for living(provided you are not too ambitous).

Why so serious?-- a catch phase from the film 'the dark knight' perfectly illustrate such scenario in modern day life. This is all due to the diminishing return in profit in climbing up the ladder. The same thing is happening in academic, when you earn lesser, say than an undergraduate, when you really have a higher qualification(PhD, postdoc etc...). The fundamental flaw of our modern day system is, you earn 'too much'(as least enough to survive and still being able to enjoy non-excessively) by being 'ordinary'(ordinary as in being a degree holder not speciaizing in anything). Please don't tell me that one is good in economic just because they have an undergraduate degree in economic. They know far lesser than the proffesor in an univeristy and yet earn much more on average compared to the professors.

The same thing is happening in sport. Will you choose a harder route (train as badminton player) when you really could put in half the effort you spend in training to pursue a degree, while still very likely to end up having a better paid than badminton players? I think the answer is obvious. Even you push yourself to give up an easier path and strive for excellence in sport career, doubts will creep in when things don't go that well. Many people dropout along the way. Which is why talents are hard to come by these days. China has started to feel its effect as a result of economic bloom in recent years. How long can she keep her dominance in badminton, that's one interesting question I would wanna know.

I have disgress but this also show how much one has to sacrifice in order to reach for the top. Saina Nehwal deserve absolute credit for being focus and know what she exactly wants.

#478 lcleing, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Great post, LcLeing! Makes for very interesting reading, and perfectly illustrates the malaise that our society has to deal with today.

The sub-text of this post is something that people should really take time off to understand. :)

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

An article about Saina...

Image makeover for super Saina Nehwal

Ankita Pandey Vallikappen, TNN, Feb 6, 2011, 12.30am IST

MUMBAI: Her hair is streaked blonde. The chunky bangle on her arm perfectly matches the large purple bag and her top. The make-up is subtle and she looks a million bucks. Saina Nehwal walks into the room looking more glamorous than ever before. The group gathered is of the members of Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ) foundation to honour her with a plaque for her achievements. Everyone takes notice and approves. The new avatar, she says, is thanks to the ankle injury she sustained last December.

"Recuperating at home, I had ample time. I thought let me experiment. I had to spend three hours in the parlour for the highlights. And dressing up is something I am learning after going for photo-shoots for magazines and advertisements. The results are showing, I guess," she says.

-----------------------------------------------
    Read more through The Times of India.com -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...or-super-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/7434057.cms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.