Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Fresh and ready for the challenge: Saina

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article1512908.ece

V. V. Subrahmanyam
    HYDERABAD, March 5, 2011

World No. 5 Saina Nehwal says her focus will mainly be on achieving consistency throughout the tournament in next week's All-England championship.

“It all boils down to how well you play from the start to finish in such an event. Even the best players sometimes struggle. So I am looking at getting the basics right” the champion shuttler told The Hindu.

“Honestly, my semifinal appearance in the last edition was a bit of a surprise even for me. But, things have changed a lot since then and at this level you cannot take any opponent for granted,” said Saina.

“Given my current world ranking, there will be some pressure in terms of expectations. But, I am used to these things and I am in a good frame of mind,” said Saina.

“Looking at the draw, I think I might run into different Chinese players with the same style of play. You have to be doubly careful when you face them and you should be able to come up with the right blend of caution and aggression.

“I am not scared of the Chinese but I have to be at my best,” she said.

“The four-week training programme under Gopi Sir at his Academy here was really good and I am feeling fresh and ready for the challenge,” she said.

India's chief National coach P. Gopi Chand believes Saina has a great chance this time.
    “Given her ranking, her growing reputation and the all-round improvement in her game, she can go a long way,” he said.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    India's chief National coach P. Gopi Chand believes Saina has a great chance(2011 AE)

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Barring any Chinese who seep into to Q2 and Q4, if Saina beats just 1 Chinese, she will be the AE 2011 Champion!!

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, the chips all seem to be falling in place for Saina. What a lop-sided draw for the AE WS. Top heavy with Chinese

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Bae Seung Hee is no pushover (if she is in the correct frame of mind... :D)...
    But I'd love to see Saina v/s Ratchanok in the semis!

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

As far as I can see, BSH peaked at the UC last year. She has not been that impressive since then. Plus she is a year older and at her age, one year counts for a lot

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina in a downward spiral?

Why is Saina in a downward spiral for the past 3 months or more? Is it just her physical condition and injury? Or is there something more to it?

Unseeded Hirose sends fancied Saina out of All England

M Ratnakar, TNN | Mar 12, 2011, 09.19pm IST

HYDERABAD: Saina Nehwal's All England dream went up in smoke with a shocking defeat at the hands of Eriko Hirose of Japan 11-21, 20-22 in the quarterfinals at Birmingham on Friday.

Unperturbed by the devastation caused by the tsunami back home, unseeded Hirose ousted Saina, touted as the hot favourite to reach the final after the withdrawal of defending champion Tine Baun and former world No. 1 Wang Yihan from the bottom half of the draw.

full story: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...na-out-of-All-England/articleshow/7688073.cms

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina stunned in quarters

It was supposed to be her best chance of winning the coveted title but Saina Nehwal let it slip as she went down in straight games to unseeded Japanese Eriko Hirose in the quarterfinals of the prestigious All England Badminton Championship.

The fifth-seeded Saina, who was expected to win at the event given teh absence of some top Chinese players, lost 21-11 22-20 to her little-known Japanese rival yesterday.

Full story: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.a...=8&contentid=201103132011031305381060736d3b74

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal let it slip as she went down in straight games to unseeded Eriko Hirose

Perhaps, Saina has not fully recovered from her last injury.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure the BAI will trot that out as a convenient excuse sooner or later.

However, I still have very serious doubts about the quality and efficacy of the training/coaching setup. There appears to be many deficiencies, and the most glaring is the absence of world-class coaching talent. I have repeatedly criticized Saina's visibly apparent bulk and inefficient muscle tone. Her shuffle to retrieve drops has always left her at a disadvantage. Her backhand is embarrasingly rudimentary. If a bystander can see all this, what have the BAI training/coaching staff been doing about it?

From what I saw of her play at the AE2011, she did not even make the effort to get back to base position from the baseline, on so many instances I lost count. That left her hopelessly out of position, time and again. Couple that with her vulnerability against sharp drops, and you have a recipe for disaster. And that's what happened.

#491 cobalt, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Saina Nehwal does not have the mental strength to make it in major tournaments, similar or even worse than LCW back in 2008. She has to toughen up her mental strength like LCW before she can contend for major titles...

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina needs to work more on her footwork

Many BCers have thought that Saina needs to work more on her footwork.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I would like to disagree. If anything, she is actually incredibly strong, mentally. But she is being handled incorrectly and inefficiently. Moreover, since the CWG success in New Delhi, she has become the star poster-girl for sports in India, and has been increasingly in demand in events in India that take up her time and attention, and have nothing to do with her training. :(

Compare this to the expert and highly professional manner in which the CBA girls are handled...

15. allidzrused

allidzrused New Member

Congrats Saina on winning the swiss open!

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Congratulations to Saina for winning at the 2011 Swiss Open

Congratulations to Saina for winning at the 2011 Swiss Open. :):):)

Here is an article from Indian Express;

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/saina-gets-back-to-winning-ways/765135/

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Mon Mar 21 2011, 00:41 hrs
    New Delhi

Ace-shuttler Saina Nehwal notched up her first title of the year, clinching the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold trophy with a straight-game victory in the summit clash against Ji Hyun Sung of Korea in Switzerland on Sunday.

Second seed Saina beat Ji Hyun 21-13 21-14 in 43 minutes to make amends for her quarterfinal exit from the All England Super Series in Birmingham last week.

The world number four Indian had beaten the unseeded Korean, ranked 19th, during the first round of Indonesia Open Super Series last year.

Saina, who had a subdued beginning to the year after recovering from a ligament injury, showed her mettle all through the tournament to swell her trophy cabinet.

Ji Hyun tried to keep pace with Saina till 7-7 but the Indian was indomitable as she broke off from their and surged ahead with gaint strides to pocket the first game comfortably.

In the second game, Saina was ruthless as she opened a four-point lead at 7-3, and held fort to canter to her first title of the season.

The 21-year-old Saina had won three Super Series titles last year — Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong Open — besides winning the Commonwealth Games gold and India Grand Prix gold.

She also won the Indonesian Super Series in 2009 besides winning the Chinese Taipei Open Grand Prix Gold in 2008.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

17. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Good for Saina in winning the 2011 Wilson SBO.
    However, she should not have lost to EH in the quarter-final of the AE.
    Had she not lost, she could have beaten Petya Nedelcheva in the semi-final and played against WXS in the final. The AE is a prestigious SS premier tournament whereas the WSBO is just a gold grand prix tournament. It was a SS tournament from 2007 to 2010.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Congratulations to Saina. But I also observe that she had to grind it out in 3 games against Eriko Hirose once again at the Swiss Open as well; almost didn't make it...

The Indian media talk a lot about her ligament injury etc, but I have not seen the BAI or her coaches making any statement about her condition over the past month. She picked up the injury last December; it takes about 4 weeks at most with proper physiotherapy etc, so I don't see how they can use that as any sort of excuse for sub-par performance.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Currently, Saina is trying to play with more aggression (to smash more)

Currently, what I find is: SN is trying to play with more aggression (to smash more).

Probably trying to move faster to get into position to smash (Footwork) has caused her ligament problem.

#499 chris-ccc, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

India Today - Woman
    March 2011

[​IMG]

#500 demolidor, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.