Towel Break

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, Aug 18, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    1-minute break after every 10-minutes of play

My suggestion to BWF is to allow players to have a 1-minute break after every 10-minutes of play.

Let's see if this could be accepted. :D:D:D

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Oh how we have gone from 15-point system with no break included, to a 21 point system with a 1 min interval and yet you want more breaks? haha.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We prefer to watch the skills of players rather than to admire their stamina

True, as you have posted. :D:D:D

But for fans of Badminton, we prefer to watch the skills of players rather than to admire their stamina.

Look at Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade;

Today, fans don't get to watch the magical skills that they had.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

i must disagree!
    badminton is not just technical skills, but also fitness. if you're too old to compete with the youngsters because you lack stamina, it's time for the young to overtake you!

followinging your argument, there should be a break after every point in 5 years and a wheelchair should be mandatory from 2050 onwards, because like that we could still watch the magical skills of taufik and peter. (i love those two players, but it's the way of life that someday you can't compete with the young anymore when it comes to sport/fitness...!)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am just talking about the art/skill in playing good Badminton

Yes, you are talking about winning at Badminton, while I am just talking about the art/skill in playing good Badminton.

If youngsters don't appreciate info of the art/skill in playing Badminton, then they will probably don't need any coaches (who cannot defeat them) because their coaches are old and out of stamina.

I am a Badminton coach, and many of my trainees can defeat me. :D:D:D

#45 chris-ccc, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

true, you're right!
    and that's why you're a coach and not a player (anymore).

but we've been talking bout breaks in professional, competitive sports!

7. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

One rule I would put in is that towel breaks can only be requested by the serving player. After all it is the server that has the biggest influence on the pace of the game. Under the rally point system there should be at least some benefit to serving.

I know some will say that the receiving player can hold up their hand to stop the server from serving as quick as they may want to but this practice should be curtailed. There is no reason why the receiver should need more time to prepare than the server. Within reason of course. But, right now 90% of the time the receiver is holding up their hand to forestall service is just screwing around more than any legitimate need to prepare to receive serve.

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Sorry was out on a tournament so I've had no time to be online. I would get a written note from a doctor stating your condition and notifying the referee before the tournament starts.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The receiver of the Service should be ready before the server gets ready to serve

This, I agree. :):):)

The receiver of the Service should always be ready before the server gets ready to serve. Unfortunately at many games/matches, the receiver of the Service do not. :(:(:(

We see many a times, the server is ready before the receiver is. Perhaps. this is one of their tactical plans to cause disruption to the server.

As a Badminton coach, I always tell my trainees that it is the responsibility of the receiver to get ready first, before the server gets ready. It's not the other way around; that the server has to wait for the receiver to be ready first.

#49 chris-ccc, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon