How to use a hard string? (from ngb98/bg66, switch to bg80p)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Aurora_, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

Guys,

I'm kind of in dilemma, hope someone can share some light. This is about migration/adaption of hard string; from a medium/soft string user. How do you do it?

I've been using medium feel/high repulsion string all this while NGB98@28lbs on my VT80, BG66@26-27lbs on all my other rackets, mostly head heavy. And yet to try a hard string.

Recently I bought VTZF, and strung with BG80power @27lbs. Power is massive (not sure if it is because of VTZF or BG80P :rolleyes:). I can really feel the "hard"ness, feel very flat with no vibration. But when it comes to normal stroke (clear, drive), I need to put more effort than I normally do.

Then I had a chance with a VTZF strung with BG66UM@26/27lbs, and it turns out my normal stroke is superb (flick of wrist would send the shuttle baseline to baseline). I can feel great repulsion from this string.

Despite bg80p rated with high repulsion, I can't feel it. Is something wrong with my technique? I notice power comes naturally with tight grip on bg80p, and it drop with a loose grip. I used a slightly loose grip for normal stroke (as in fingers apart, firm grip, but not tight)

Those that accustom to hard string, do you encounter any difficulty when you try medium string?

2. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Not really for me. While being a BG80 fan, I also like ZM62 and BG66UM, but I guess it's all very personal.

Bro, if you think BG80P is hard, try BG80:D

3. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

When you switch between bg66um and bg80, is there any gain/lose in your stroke? I haven't meet anyone use both string in their games. Most of us here use bg66um.

Especially how you decide to use which one for what type of game.

4. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Both are good strings. BG80 has the hard feeling which I really like, but BG66 UM has better repulsion. I also find BG66 UM is a more forgiving string than BG80 and I found it easier to return smashes with it due to its high repulsiveness. BG66UM is softer feeling. The hitting sound is nice on both strings though BG66UM has a higher pitch. I have found control is better with BG66UM, but that may be bacause of my technique.

For me, BG 80 for offensive and BG 66UM for balanced play. But you will have to try it yourself. Also, BG80 and BG80P are very different strings. BG80P has a more muted sound and feel, better durability, and softer feeling.

5. APB Stringers

APB Stringers Regular Member

Professional Stringer
    I agree that bg80P is not very good at all, I bought a few reels for the company this year and it is reasonably popular but I don't find it very hard or powerful at all, and it is one of the worst strings for tension loss in my opinion. My favorite string for repulsion is Bg66U but the durability is not great.

www.apbstringers.co.uk

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    not sure if this applies to badminton, but i recently just got back into tennis and i have been out of the game for more than 15 years. now they have polyester strings which is really really hard. i lowered the tension from 70lbs to 57lbs and the string still feels like i'm hitting with a board. my stringer told me that if i don't take it easy my elbow will suffer.

what i would suggest is that if you are in fact using a harder string than before, take it easy in the beginning. forcing yourself to play the same way as before will only hurt your wrist/elbow. i say "if" because some of the peeps on the forum feels the string is not hard, and i personally have never did a comparison or hardness. i've also never been able to tell the hardness of a string yet.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

In going from a soft string to a hard string, the way to adapt is to shorten and focus your strike into a very concentrated impact. This will demand perfect technique and timing. It you still can't do it, you'll have to lower the tension a bit.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

^This. The shuttle doesn't sink into the string bed as much with a hard string, so the swing has to be very fast and sharp or the shot will just "bounce" off the racket without being "punched". Hard strings suit "wristy" players better.

9. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I've never been a huge fan of the BG80 but I found that the BG80P is perfect for me!! The regular BG80 is too hard IMO while the BG80P is a bit softer and easier for my swing.