The Four Heavenly Kings

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Justin L, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I forgot something. Even Ji Xinpeng, who only can win 2 titles until he retired, also can win Olympic's Gold. read once again, only 2 titles (the other title is Jpn open). And his route to 2000 OG final is fantastic. he beats the top 3 seeds, TH, Gade and Hendrawan. He is the first ever player that can win an Olympic's gold by beating the top 3 seeds. Really amazing ! but when we check his performance outside OG, he is not that great. He is only C - Class or even D - class player. that's why I said, winning OG doesn't make you a great player.

#21 Fortune, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, a quadrennial event like the Olympics, the most-coveted trophy, the world's grandest stage, the accolades and lucrative awards - overrides everything else blowing it out of proportion,and the pressures and expectations are so great that many players behave out of the ordinary, either playing above themselves or wilting under pressure. Ji Xinpeng sensationally beating all the top three seeds to win Sydney Olympic gold is one example while Lin Dan's shocking defeat by Ronald Susilo of SG in R1 of the Athens Olympics is the other example.

So I agree you cannot use the Olympic performance alone to gauge a player's overall standing. It has to be based on what the author of the article in post #1 did, using duration of world ranking as no.1, the number and type of titles won, and the players' H2H records. In other words,we have to let the results speak for themselves objectively, putting aside our personal feelings. Of course,we can have our own favourites, that's our right but it's still only our private affairs,not to be imposed on others, to each his own.

Whatever, whether we like it or not, facts are facts. Lin Dan is the most-decorated player with the most number of coveted and major titles, and holds the best H2H record versus all his rivals, on this there should be no dispute I'm sure. As for Taufik, if he's not fit to be one of the Four Heavenly Kings, then what about Peter?

But before I argue further, I'll have to admit this Four Heavenly Kings title is not something recognized the world over in the badminton sphere, it seems to be touted mainly in China. Frankly, I was prompted to open this thread not so much to prove who is worthy of the status or not but just to make known the statistical data put up by the author which attracted me in the first place.

By all means feel free to present your views but try not to get too personal and presumptuous with each other. As long as you can argue your case well, even those who disagree with you will still respect you. Lively exchanges of opinions, esp backed up by facts and figures and relevant details, make for interesting,enjoyable and beneficial reading for all. So far so good. Keep it up,guys. Thanks for your contributions.

3. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Talent win trophies, attitude wins hearts. Quote unquote.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Its funny ... Arguments have gone one step ahead in saying that Olympics itself would not be considered. Really amazing ... Ha ha. Lol. I wanna remind those who are very well talking about this in this thread need to open the threads of Li Xuerui and Lin Dan in order to know their own posts in these two threads about their victories and the Olympics Golds they have won. People are tuning the radio according to their needs. Vareh wah.. Just to derecognize taufik's achievements, one should not go this much extend which i never ever imagined. Ha ha.. H2H records will give you power of being in the top ???? Funny. Prove it . Thats matters.

Taufik has all the titles except All England. Out of all the players who are still in circuit, only two has won major titles(Asian games, World championships, Olympics).

1) Lin Dan
    2) Taufik Hidayat(Except All England).

Just to make themselves happy for that moment, people may compare Taufik with Bao Chunlai(Not even got world Championship, Asian Games, Olympics Gold :D) and Chen Long ( Not even won a single major so far :D)etc etc.

Taufik is still a living legend. Those who tries to demoralise whatever he has achieved, its gonna be in their own dreams nothing else:D.

Even i have seen in Chen Long's thread , people threw praises like anything (even one person gone overboard calling him as King of badminton for winning a superseries title) one can't even imagine :rolleyes:. Taufik did more than what Chen Long done so far(in his age);), lets see how CL will do in his remaining career :rolleyes:. Taufik is one out of two who still has all the titles and also still playing in the badminton circuit (Apart from LinDan) :). We need to admire him for his wonderful, marvelous & fantabulous show in this badminton arena . :) Still anybody need to know what Taufik has achieved and not achieved?? :rolleyes:. Still if they are not satisfied about his performances or they are trying any other way to derail his achievements, then that itself is a great victory for Taufik for his achievements and performances. :)

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    a legend is not about figure.
    its about the spirit and passion we learn.
    by discredit others,u wont become more high class,but it show how low class u are
    and add some negative effect on ur idol.
    but since the i-drank-too-much-cold-water or i-fly-the-racket doesnt have any good reputation globaly,its ok.:p

6. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

In your little world in Malaysia i.e. (which kind of explains the very uncalled for Namewee incident)

Reading your consistent berating posts only makes people think of you as the actual low class person you always poke at :rolleyes:

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    IMHO, every time a scoreboard of titles is roll out, these kind of banters will happen. The thread destroys itself.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You beat me to it. This thread is unnecessary. If it is for info purpose, it should be closed as soon as it opens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.