Please reply all LEFT/RIGHT-handed players

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by NL-player, Dec 16, 2002.

?

i am.....

1. RIGHT handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LEFT handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    LOL thats funny because I do that all the time. Fortunately the left handers I played are not very good.

2. jon_hall

jon_hall New Member

Student
    I am left-handed, but play well with my right also - so I am an ambidextrous badminton player. I use my left had for serving, drop shots, reflex shots and all other forehand shots, I use my right for smashes on my right hand side, and big clears - since my right hand is far more powerful than my left. I can switch hands very quickly, and have never dropped my racket while doing so, or left myself vulnerable as a result of switching rackets, it throws my opponent off if anything! I also find being left handed an advantage in serving, as you can get a better angle on your opponent's backhand, and they cannot get as good an angle on my backhand (not that i have one). What I find most useful about being ambidextrous is the greater reach you have, and the more options for every shot you have, as more angels are open to you - and it throws your opponent off, as they wont know where the shot will come from, or go to.

3. the left-hander

the left-hander Regular Member

Licensed Agricultural Engineer
    Speaking of ambidextrous people...is it allowed, legally, to switch hands used while in the middle of a rally? I've seen one in our club doing that...he's still in the beginner phase but I'm pretty sure he'll be a force to reckon with in time. ;)

4. the left-hander

the left-hander Regular Member

Licensed Agricultural Engineer
    LOL. Oooh...you might encounter a good one someday Kazecloud. ;) :D I'd take it as a compliment, bleedhondos. ;) Take it as a challenge...you'll get used to it, and once you get the hang of it...soon it doesn't matter if you're playing a lefty or a righty. ;)

Being a lefty has some disadvantages too...especially when playing doubles and your partner is a righty. Opponents tend to put the shuttle between me and my partner, where it is both our forehand side or our backhand side, confusing us on who should take it. ;) We, too, tend to be exposed to flickserves exploiting our backhand side. :D And because of that challenge, I worked hard to make my backhand drives (with a whip-like motion) acceptably fast and mostly reliable. ;)

5. TangentZ

TangentZ Regular Member

I'm right-handed. I do everything with my right hand as dominant hand, except when playing the piano, then I use both. ;)

I've started playing Badminton again, after I stopped playing for about 5 years. This time around, I'm training to use both left and right hands.

If I'm playing with opponents who I gauge as "weaker", I'd use my left hand as a "handicap" and we play some good games.

When I'm playing with someone who's "equal or better", I'd use my right hand to give it all I've got. It works out pretty well. :D

6. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    Left hand is better....

..since all players - from the early beginning - have their shots and gameplan developed mainly to deal with right handers.
    So when we play a right hander we automatically "do the right things".
    Playing a left hander we have to concentrate and think and change our deeply rooted patterns and shots.

As soon as we get tired tired, nervous or pressed for time, we switch to autopilot. ...... and BAM we are in trouble!

The clever lefty exploits this in the archetype left hand strategy:
    Play as fast as you can - and then some.

He will make lots of errors - but the opponent's game will most likely suffer even more from:
    • "Normal" technical errors - just from playing faster than usual.
    • Tactical errors (lifting to the forehand, trying to do flat drives in the forhand side, cross court backhand (from a right hand backhand to the lefty's... oops - forehand)
    • Mental meltdown - from making "nothing but errors" and "this has nothing to do with badminton".
    How I know this?
    I'm a lefthand player myself - and I hate NOTHING more than playing one of those left hand psychopaths.

Oh and for you right handers out there, here's a little secret for countering those freak handers: More than 90 % of them are weak/very weak in their deep forehand corner.

7. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    I write with my left hand but I play with my right hand :p

Strange...

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Regular Member

Engineer
    Left hander here and I have many broken rackets thanks to careless right handed partners to prove it!

9. deano493

deano493 Regular Member

still at school
    i am right handed but 2 of my frends are left handed but the other 22 of my mates that play badminton are right handed

10. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I'm right handed. Almost all the players I know are right handed. In fact, there is only one left handed player at our club that I know of.

11. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    I'm left handed. I can tell you... as I'm not pro... i still play against newbies sometimes, and I know that i sometimes have advantage because the other player normally hits the birdie to the backhand, but that's my forhand... For a lot of (non-pro)players it asks a lot of attention to play to my backhand... They are so busy with my rackethand they become distracted.

This is particulaire in Single... In double it's annoying if your not playing with your own partner. The guy next to you frequently thinks he needs to hit the birdie while it's mine, so our rackets clash...

12. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

I'm a right-handed player :D

13. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    I am right handed but always hate playing with left handed cos i always forget they are left handed:mad: and suppose to attack their left hand ended up attacking their forehand:eek:

14. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    Right handed player

880 R
    187 L

15. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    Another right handed player here. Curse you lefties!! when you slice the shuttle you can get more spin!!

16. Leon.t

Leon.t Regular Member

Insurance!
    Me left handed! Although I switch to my right sometimes (need to learn backhand more)

17. tanleels

tanleels Regular Member

i play and work with my left hand but I write with my right :cool:...
    this more strange...

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Not really... most parents force their kids to write with the 'proper' hand. I did almost everything left handed except using the mouse and joystick which I had to conform to the setup of the equipment. So one can be trained to do anything with one hand or the other.

19. Xseraph

Xseraph New Member

I write with my left hand... but I play badminton with my right hand :p I can play with my left hand, but can't develop anywhere near the power from my left arm/shoulder/wrist that I can with my right. I'm just mixed up I guess :D

20. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Agh.. today, I was playing around with my left hand instead of my usual right hand to play badminton when we were supposed to be 'on rest'.
    In the beginning, I couldn't even hit the shuttle but now I can. The footwork and tactics all dissappeared when I played with my left hand. It was like starting badminton all over again, panhandling by the cone. So I think.. tactics and footwork all come when the stroke technique is there.