Eyeing up some mid-flex HH racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by DuckFeet, May 3, 2013.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Voltric 5 - nice price, feels pretty good.
    Voltric 7 - lighter VT5 but the 5 didnt exactly seem heavy when I tried it.
    Voltric 70 - what exactly IS the difference between this and VT7 two in the real world? I've read the brochure about solid core/different shaft material. Are they worth it? I've read they feel different but no further detail.
    Arcsaber 5DX - A lot of similar spec to the VT70. Found an ex-demo that might be a bargain. Potentially slower then the VT70 in defense.
    Victor MX60 - meets the spec of flexy hh.
    Arcsaber 7 - Spanner in the works, even flexier but even-balanced. To check that I actually do want mid-flex HH.

If you've used two or more of the above please share your findings :) I've registered my interest in a trial scheme.

I'd say for an intermediate player wanting a bigger smash for doubles. Not expecting miraculous power, just something better suited to my swing speed than my current head-light mid-stiff.

Cheers.

(Dave - I'm still up for trying your wares if I get chance, this list if picked from the trial-racquets available)

2. stopdrop

stopdrop Regular Member

student
    Go for mx 60 or the tk8000

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

when i was training with the vt70, it was wonderful. to me, this means that it's head heavy enough that i get some decent pace on my smash because of the swing weight as well as the flexible shaft. yet, fast enough that my defense doesn't suffer too much, meaning my reaction combined with the racket allowed me to respond to attacks quickly and allowing me to return the shuttle in the direction and manner i want. i had it strung with victor vs850 at 24lbs...very low tension compared to most of my buddies, but this tension seems to work for me while i was training. however, the vs850 is considered a stiff string. i am currently experimenting with bg65 and found out that i have to string it to at least 26lbs to get the same stiffness...yet the power is still there because the softness of the string....and it lasts forever.

i also have the arc7 in the form of an arc100 which is the same racket virtually but with different paint jobs. i find it very very balance for me. unfortunately, my defense didn't improve a whole lot and i did lose some of that power from smashing. since my vt70 is a 4u, it's light enough for me while defending. the 3u arc100 is actually a bit heavier, maybe that's why my defense suffered a tiny bit. but for the power shots, it's 3u, but not head heavy, so it felt a bit lighter in the power swings, so i didn't get the power i wanted.

hope this helps.

4. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

I always play doubles, and used to play with VT70 for almost 1 year in 2011-2012. I personally prefer to used medium flex and HH racket, and VT70 was the best choice for me at the time.

Subsequently, Victor introduced MX60 in 1st quarter of 2012. Having read the specs is also medium flex and HH, I bought my first MX60, and the comparison between these products are as follows:

- Balance Point / Head Heavy - VT70 (305mm) > MX60 (295mm)

- Stiffness rates - VT70 (stiffer) > MX60 (flexier)

- Swing Speed / Quickness - MX60 > VT70

- Handling & Control - MX60 > VT70

Based on aforementioned considerations, and since I only play doubles, I opt for MX60. MX60 is known as a very forgiven racket, and it is more user friendly - compared to VT70.

Nevertheless - if you play singles and doubles, then I recommend you to opt for VT70.

Please note that I use thick strings for both rackets. Another thing to consider, since MX60 has 80 grommets, then the string bed would feel harder if you string with your regular tension.
    Thus it would be advisable if you string MX60 at lower tension (around 1-2 lbs).

In addition, (due to its 80 grommets) MX60 also holds better rate of tension loss comparing to VT70.

Last but not least, comparing to other Victor series, MX is known to have the best paint quality (compared to BS or TK series). I got several clashes with my partner racket during my games, and found very small paint-chip in my MX60.

Hopes this help :D

5. zeus2387

zeus2387 New Member

May I suggest you the RSL M11 heat 180, it's medium flex and with a large racket face. It's light and head heavy. Ive got very decent feeling when I smash and make clears

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Good answers thanks. Sounds like the MX60 is the better quality racquet. I'm worried that the VT70 is too stiff. How does it compare to VT5? Bidding on a MP88 on ebay currently...

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    It's between the VT70 and the MX60 due to availability of other recommendations. I can get these for the same price give or take.

My only concerns now are: Is the VT70 too light? Is the balance right on the MX60? I can tape the head to adjust it a bit. Current sticks weigh 96 and 98g on kitchen scales, strung head taped and gripped to my liking (G4 + replacement grip + double layer of overgrip). Wasn't sure about the black and yellow paint job but a batman stencil on that would be epic.

Cheers.

8. luobue

luobue New Member

yeah,it felt a bit lighter in the power swings, so i didn't get the power i wanted.[​IMG]

9. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Had a hold and little swing (air only) of a VT80 - SO light and flexy! What an earth are the specs of my current racquet?? Very glad I went with 3U now. MX60 should be with me today :) I'll use this for doubles+feathers only, old racquet is being strung super-loose for singles+plastics. Thanks again for the advices.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What is your current racket??? :D

If it is that Ashaway, you could start to wonder about that VT80 (genuine at all?). Or was it in a shop?

#10 demolidor, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Slazenger Silhouette. Don't google it, I've already tried and failed. One of my 3 is over 20 years old! One of the players at my club bought the VT80, only original grip - might explain the lightness? I don't doubt that it came from a shop and is genuine. The flexing was just done by hand, I didnt hit a shuttle with it in case I enjoyed it too much. I reckon the MX60 will suit me fine, just fine.

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    [​IMG]

Review to follow. Feels nice. Very nice.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D That explains a lot, old (cheaper) rackets are definitely heavier by at least 5-10 gram and a shorter shaft than the VT80 probably (and overall shorter). Should indeed be a nice upgrade that MX60 :cool: ...

14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter

So far this thing feels weirdly mobile for something so heavy. First impression was "Solid". Then "Slick". maybe "Shiny". Then "Shut up Sam". The instant I held it it felt perfect weight and balance-wise, not just nice or ok. Perfect. We'll see if I still like it after play testing on Monday.

Weighed 85g dry (original factory grip, no string). Added Karakal PU super grip, 96g. String on it's own weighs 4g. Took plenty of photos, mostly of the scales. Macro shots of the CF when the camera charges up. Apologies if blue strings offend anyone.

The sound when swinging is impressive. Can't wait to add crisp shuttle-hitting noise to it.

Flex is crazy, there's loads of it! Not sure I like the low kick point as the SL79 had that and I hit a lot of shots out/into the net when stunning rather than following through the shuttle. We'll see. Can't wait to see what I can do with increasing both swing weight and speed... watch this space.

Slightly off topic, is there a thread about what counts as "too distracting" for match attire? Batman T shirt for example...

Might as well ask if anyone knows where to get yellow stencil ink as I already know which black strings to go for.

That's all for now.

15. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

As long as it's just the shirt and not cape and mask too.

16. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Flexing it with your hand and flex while playing isn't the same thing. That thing is aerodynamic. I find that most Victor rackets have great precision, even those considered medium (played with both BS12 and MX60 for over 4 months each).

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
  18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

funny you say that - I have measured deflection of my mx60 rackets and compared to TPro they are more stiff. And TPro is 'stiff' by most standards (www.dcbadminton.net).

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've been ill and not able to play, been going nuts! I managed a little knockabout at lunch. Feels really good! I've reduced my grip size to Stock grip + one layer overgrip with a 1mm overlap. More finger power and the balance feels better like this.

MX60
    3U G3
    Weight 95g with string + overgrip (86g dry).
    headweight 41g wet
    bp 300mm
    Pictures to follow when i get them on photobucket.

Seems to have lost 2-4 lbs tension already. MP66 at 21/23 one string, 1000Hz at time of stringing. Now showing at 925Hz on Carltune, less than my factory SL79 which is over a year old :( Feels perfect for plastics though so not all bad, will have to wait and see how it does on feathers but it feels like there is plenty of power on tap.

Is the warranty void if I two-string this and has anyone tried it? I think tension held better on my other racquets with 2 strings so I'm tempted to try it. Either that or you ADD a lb for this racquet not REDUCE by 1lb when stringing :s

Cheers Benwilluk for sorting me out. Now looking for a local club playing tonight or tomorrow so I can make a guest appearance and test it out. I think I'll go mad if I have to wait til tuesday.

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Didn't play last night :( Just had a game against a squash player. 3 week gap, new racquet, slippy floor, strings feeling really loose, grip too small and not tacky enough (I like making excuses). Result 0-3. Argch! I hit every smash into the net, is that the flex altering my hit angle? It does bode well for nice smash angles when I adjust though. There does seem to be some nice power available but I rarely hit the sweetspot. At least my elbow isn't hurting...