Peter GADE

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    PHG is too good to retire and we, his fans, would no doubt wish him to stay on in the circuit as long as he is physically able.
    He proved it again at the VICTOR- BWF Super Series Finals 2010 where he was runner-up to LCW.
    In the semi-final he beat the 22 year old Chen Long in straight games 21-19, 21-18 in 59 minutes.
    His performance at the final is nothing to sniff at and both games were very challenging to LCW notwithstanding the score of 21-9, 21-14.

:D:D:D

2. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Peter Gade is still a wondeful athlete even at 34. There's no one in Denmark who can beat him consistently. Physically, Jan and chen Long should be slightly stronger. However, I think Gade's technique, tactics and experience will pull him through when playing against those young machines.

As a former world no 1 who has been top 5 for almost an decade, I don't see him retiring anytime soon unless he have problems physically. Which is great consider how he can stun you with his tumbling netshots and deceptive drops-simply a beauty to watch.

3. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

If given his now much improve technical and tactical skill, couple with his peak physical era (21 to 28), man it will be a thrill to watch him play against LCW and Lindan.

4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

That will certainly be a treat to the eyes-Classic match in the making.The closest we get this year is a match where PG was playing against TH in the AE quater finals. An absolute thrilling match to watch which proves that PG still has what it takes to be a champion although age is not on his side.

However, let's not rule Peter out yet. The other matches which I consider to be a classic is the one he played against LD in china master 2006 and AE 2004. Master tatician vs power play.

He might woke up one day feeling very energetic and on form before playing against LCW and Lin Dan. Hopefully these guys will keep playing until that classic match is being played. Finger corss :).

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Peter Gade's insightful comments

Lin is seeded only third this week, but if he produces his best he should become unofficial favourite to achieve something not done since the legendary Indonesian Rudy Hartono won the fifth of his seven titles in 1972. And that was before badminton went open.

One person who believes Lin is capable of doing this is Peter Gade, the fourth-seeded Dane, the last European to win the All-England title, and the oldest man in the field at 34.

Gade, who won in 1999 and lost in three games to Lin in the 2004 final, is an admirer of the brilliantly versatile Chinese left-hander as well as being a defender of his withdrawals from tournaments.

They brought criticism from Taufik Hidayat, the former Olympic champion from Indonesia, who reportedly claimed they were unsporting. Gade by contrast commented that Lin's actions had been "wise", adding: "I would do the same if I were him."

He qualified that by saying: "It's not the best thing for the tournaments, but Lin Dan has been the best player for the last five years, and maybe the greatest player of all time -- really, really good, and a complete player, no doubt about that.

"He may have more ups and downs than four or five years back, but it's not changed anything. In form he's the best player."

Despite this Gade also made a point of complimenting Lee Chong Wei, saying: "when you look at the last three years, there is no doubt he has been the most consistent player.
    "If it were not for Lin Dan he would be the best player in the world, and these two players have been ahead of the rest - including myself.

"Lee is a complete player. He can do all parts of the game. His physical abilities are really, really strong, which makes it difficult to play against him. But his game is dependent on his self-confidence, and if you can affect that you have a chance of beating him."

xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Read the full story at:
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/8976016/super-dan-can-achieve-open-era-record/

6. fzjlj

fzjlj Regular Member

student
    does anybody know 1999 copenhagen master‘s detail?

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

27/12/1999 - Peter Gade - Irwansyah, INA 15-7, 17-14
    28/12/1999 - Peter Gade - Tomas Johansson, SWE 15-5, 15-7

Final:
    29/12/1999 - Peter Gade - Poul Erik Høyer 15-11, 15-11

Group A
    1. Peter Gade, Denmark
    2. Tomas Johansson, Sweden
    3. Irwansyah, Indonesia

Group B
    1. Poul Erik Høyer, Denmark
    2. Luo Yigang, China
    3. Ardy B. Wiranata, USA

#47 demolidor, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  9. fzjlj

fzjlj Regular Member

student
    thanks thanks thanks~

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chinese absence makes it less difficult, says world No. 6

Anupma Tripathi, Hindustan Times
    New Delhi, April 24, 2011
    First Published: 23:35 IST(24/4/2011)
    Last Updated: 23:38 IST(24/4/2011)

Full story: http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print/689274.aspx

The moment has arrived, and so have the players. World No. 6 Peter Gade was the first to land in India to participate in the India Open Super Series starting on April 26 at the Sirifort Complex. The Hindustan Times caught up with the dazzling Dane:

All geared up?
    Oh yes. I am up for the battle and will settle for nothing less than the title itself.

This is for the first time India is holding a Super Series event. Your take?
    The last time I was in India for the World Championships in 2009, I immensely enjoyed the experience. Though there were some glitches like the security threats to the event that scared some of the big teams away, including England, I didn't flinch.

Did you follow the action during the Commonwealth Games in the Capital?
    Sure. I made it a point not to miss even an iota of it and observed every player closely. I even managed to catch all the games of Saina Nehwal. I am absolutely flattered by her technique.

What do you like about Saina?
    Well, the brute force, the speed, the footwork and selection of shots, you name it and you have it. Her finishing and execution of shots is absolutely fantastic. Her game is a reflection of her grit, determination and strength. I even saw her game at the All-England recently. The finesse of her game will take her a long way.

How do you rate your chances here?
    It's not going to be a cakewalk. Though the absence of the Chinese, who are busy with their domestic league, makes it somewhat less difficult, I still have to run through the obstacle course well enough to take anyone down. I have a tough draw and if I want to win the title, I will have to knock off the challenges from world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat, Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana and a few Korean players. And it's surely not going to be easy.

What do you have to say about India's chances in men's singles?
    India have a good crop of upcoming players like P. Kashyap and Guru Saidutt (runner-up of India Open 2010). They still have a long way to go but from their recent showings show they have a lot of promise.

How do you like the venue?
    This is only my first day here. The courts are playing well and I haven't faced any trouble so far. But the best thing is the crowd that eggs you on. That really spurs you on.

How many times do you think you might use your lethal weapon, the 'double-action' shot?
    (Smiles)…Well, that depends on the opponent, really. I will leave no stone unturned to nail the one on the other end.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    At 37, flesh is still willing

At 37, flesh is still willing

Gade continues to train hard like a 20-year-old and exceed expectations despite having no coach and sponsors backing him

Sandeep Narayan[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BangaloreMirror.com

Posted On Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 12:43:50 AM

Source: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/arti...8944f746b5a/At-37-flesh-is-still-willing.html

Old age is a bitter enemy in sports — the one you can’t beat. First, eyes go weak, gut widens and knees fall victim to the demanding twists and turns.

Yet there are those who defy the odds to become ageless wonders. At 37, Manchester United’s Ryan Giggs has steered his club to the top of the premier league this season. Sachin Tendulkar, now 38, seems to be only getting better every passing year.

Danish badminton legend and current world number 6, Peter Gade, might not enjoy the same celebrity status as Giggs and Tendulkar, but he has proved why he is the eternal fighter still going strong.

The oldest player in the tournament — he is 34 —, Gade reached yet another final in a career spanning a decade-and-a-half by downing South Korea’s Sung Hwan Park 21-15, 21-19.

Mere experience wouldn’t have sufficed here. He was up against a player eight years younger and who just happened to be the other bronze medallist at the last World Championships along with Gade.

No less effective
    He was quicker, more deceptive both in the air and at the net. The smashes may not have been as strong as they were when he was twenty but they are no less effective.

“The fact that I don’t have a gold medal at the Olympics or at the World Championship keeps me motivated.

“I train four hours each day like I did when I was 20. In fact, now I have to push myself harder physically,” Gade said after his win.

“You need to be mentally stronger to beat these players because they are really talented. I have to be careful with injuries at this point of my career, especially if I want to play in the London Olympics.”

In a sport superabound by Asian superstars, Gade is a lone ranger for Europe. He plays with no coach here, while the others have three or four training them.

No backing
    With no major sponsors backing him he has to even fight for funds.

“That has been a problem for so many years and I could stop, but if I can reach a final of a Super Series at this age then why stop,” he said.

The Dane had actually saved three match points in his opening round against Japanese Kazushi Yamada to come back and win the match. Since then he has never really been troubled by any of the other top players.

“I am getting better and better in the tournament. I have been making the semi-finals and quarterfinals regularly and it feels good to be in the final. The last time I played in a final was in the 2010 Korea Open.”

Lee Chong next
    His next opponent is Lee Chong Wei, a man who has beaten him eleven times in their last 12 encounters. Wei has not really been challenged in this tournament so far. Even yesterday he simply breezed past Yun Hu of Hong Kong 21-11, 21-15.

“When top players such as Taufik (Hidayat) and Wei jokingly ask me after a match how I am still playing, all I can do is smile. Sometimes I also don’t know.”

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

On a sidenote, Gade will retire/stop playing in the Danish League next season to solely focus on London 2012 and the qualifying period ...

#52 demolidor, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  13. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I salute the 34-year old PHG for stretching LCW, world number1, to three games in the 2011 Yonex-Sunrise India Open Superseries MSF match 21-12, 12-21, 21-15 in 62 minutes.
    I had expected an easy win for LCW with a lopsided score but PHG proved me wrong.
    Congratulations to PHG for a very good outing and without a coach at that.
    :D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

14. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Maybe lcw give chance one. He could have demolish the Dane in 2 games

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Maybe not, the 2nd set was only 12 points for lcw :D

16. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

I watched the LCW - PG game last night and it looks like there was a bit of over confidence there in LCW's game, in the second set. He almost looked bored, but got back into stride in the third game where his attacks were more ferocious. Kudos to PG for entertaining the fans with his court genius and signature drop shots. He's a great ambassador for badminton and will be missed when he retires.

17. deber

deber Regular Member

dosnt yonex sponser him?

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

He's a fighter. :cool:.. a good fight given from him to LCW on sunday.

19. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Bros : Does any bros here have any review of ARC10PG Peter gade racket. Wonder how is this racket ?

Thought of buying it , and wonder can it string to 28 tension ?

20. deber

deber Regular Member

I had PG arcsaber 10 for 5 months (it just broke last week). it was my favorite racket, i loved it so much. now nowhere sells them anymore so i switched to VT 80 witch is Peters new racket.