Alternative photos

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by red00ecstrat, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    What makes me confused about this thread is that there's this very popular one for "Alternative photos", and then an absolute dearth of photos of badminton in the rest of this sub-forum.

2. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Because we tend to separate the treads to subject matters so people get what they want more easily. If you are looking for badminton photos there are many treat showing this. Suggest you look at the tournament treats...;)

3. Destricto_Ense

Student
    The threads you refer to aren't exactly evident. On the first page of threads I count 4-5 with titles that indicate they might include some photos of people playing badminton. The rest almost universally refer to the selection between Canon or Nikon, what kind of lens to use and so on. I'm just disappointed by the lack of badminton photos..

#1183 Destricto_Ense, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Most people will not place their photos here as most of those photos relates to a particular tournament so to view badminton photos you have to go to the tournament forum. There are usually one or two treads dealing specifically with badminton photos of these events. There are also photos in the players forum. The best mean to find them is via the search function but I find half the fun is just cruising the forum:D

5. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Ah, so that's how it works. Thanks for explaining.

6. viver

viver Regular Member

You may need a device to allow the shutter speed of 160s. I don't know how the D700 works. The D90 only allows a maximum exposure time of 30s. For longer amount of time, a shutter cord/wireless control device is needed.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i was thinking the same also as the Bulb option is the next option to choose. However, i've never tried that long of an exposure/shutter speed nor have thought/imagined we would need that much time. Perhaps i should try that option the next time, and if the camera allows it.:cool:
    Btw, kwun's pic's properties indicate he used a pretty "large" aperture f/5.8 + a medium ISO.

*Destricto_Ense: Yes, the title of this sub-forum "Badminton Photography" is somewhat misleading or vague, esp. after one enters and finds out most of the threads either discuss about camera equipments or techniques or photography, in general.
    As for this thread's title, well, i think the contents speak for themselves.;)
    However, if you've opened some of the threads, in this sub-forum, there are a few threads that discuss badminton-related photos/subjects (how to improve, critiques of badminton pics etc.), like these below:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66112
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40330
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59524
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60945
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56004

In short, I guess this sub-forum would deal w/ anything related to photography, which may encompass badminton as well as other subjects.
    Maybe the sub-forum title could be renamed to something more "general" in nature??
    Yes, what badwally wrote refers to specific badminton-related photos/pics.

#1187 ctjcad, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  8. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Attached Files:

9. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

small aperture + low iso + lots of light = larger aperture + medium iso + a lot less light. i was just suggesting that one way to get a slow shutter speed is to use small aperture + low iso but it depends on your environment and how long you want your exposure to be.

d90's maximum shutter speed of 30s only applies to shutter priority and manual mode. if you use aperture priority and set a small aperture + low iso then you can get a much longer exposure without using bulb mode or a cable release. i would expect canons to perform the same way otherwise aperture priority mode would be useless at night.

10. viver

viver Regular Member

You are right on the aperture priority and bulb mode. I have found that the aperture priority and bulb not always give me the desired results - too dark (I may need to learn more about the settings). I feel the manual mode allows me better results. I plan to get a cable release to experiment more the bulb feature.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Mini Me is correct. there was literally NO light where i was. what i saw with my eyes is not the bright looking sky that appears in the photo. but instead, it was completely pitch dark (it was 1am!). i had to open up the aperture and raise the ISO as well as long exposure in order to get the photo to look that way.

i could've used lower ISO and smaller aperture too, but that also means i will have to sit there in 20F temperature for 1/2 hour. which i wasn't prepared to do. haha.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    whoa. what an honour. it is my desktop background in my work, laptop as well as home computer too. :)

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..did you take additional dry test runs or was that the only capture??..lower ISO and smaller aperture will probably make it a bit sharper, but yes, probably by the time the shutter opens up, again, you'd be half frozen..:p

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    kwun should take 3-5 shots and keep the best one;):p

15. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

at short exposures a smaller aperture will usually give you sharper pictures but not at 160s. you can have your camera set on the world's sturdiest tripod but that doesn't help the clouds, water, trees, etc stay still enough to give you a sharper picture. you'll also have to contend with distortions due to air movements.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^The..^^

..only result i can think/imagine of, if kwun were to use a lower ISO, smaller aperture & same amt of shutter speed, and taken with the exact condition when the picture was taken, is a darker picture.
    Thus my initial question on whether kwun took a few other shots or was that the only shot he took?
    Thank goodness mother nature/uncontrollable elements cooperated, considering the exposure time (shutter time) used.:cool:

17. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Just sharing photo taken recently..
    [​IMG]

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Looks neat..^^

..makes me want to fly to NZ..:cool:

19. SpendorK

SpendorK Regular Member

Studio test shots with ProPhoto lighting & D3X

:)

It's just a test shots by me before proper set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Wow, these are excellent! :eek:

If you want a handsome model, let me know.
    I'd work free for free portraits like these! ;)