Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Also, get away from that panhandle grip asap.

2. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Few key things :).

Yeah short n sharp is the goal here:
    Frying pan grip is real bad :/ google/youtube correct grip
    In terms of foot work, your best bet is to again youtube basic footwork. Strokes are being hit way to low, its a common habbit amoungst players, you need to force out of this habbit asap. Practice by taking the shuttle only at its highest point. Ur basic technique for overhead shots. theres not really that many good videos on it :/. Id love to show you my six steps i was taught, that are very simple yet extremely effective but uploading takes about 6 centuries in australia. thanks.

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    What do you mean pan handle grip could you explain it for me? :0

As for footwork I don't need too because I'm still working on it at my training with my coach and a group of people, but thank you!

4. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

so if u youtube proper grip, you'll notice its like shaking someones hand, for forehand, and a little different for backhand... but your base grip should be like shaking someones hand grip, yours is like your holding a frying pan, its hard to explain youtube badminton correct grip :D

5. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

hmm maybe in easier words to understand: When you hold your racket, the "V" inbetween your thumb and index finger should be aprox, middle of the side of the grip. Side being the shorter side in WIDTH. your "V" is inbetween the longer WIDTH side aka: frying pan as its commonly referred to.

6. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Usually I'm told to hold the racquet as if you're shaking a hand, okay I kinda understand I will search it up when I get home, thanks.

Okay I get it now thanks

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

pan handle grip - put your racket on the floor and pick it up by the handle - you now have pan handle grip.

Now hold the racket near the T so that you have four fingers on one side of the string bed and your thumb on the other side. Now slide you hand down to the handle (use your other hand to hold the racket) - you will notice the racket is nearly at 90 degrees different angle.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Just go visit badmintonbible.com for proper grip.

And at your high beginner level, you should really reconsider whether you should even play with such head heavy and stiff rackets like VT80 and VTZF. And especially at such high tensions for plastic. You're just setting yourself up for repetitive strain injuries to the shoulder and elbow.

9. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Obviously what people have said, the grip is really important.

Since your serve was the first shot I saw properly, instead of using your whole arm, try and use your wrist, this way you are also able to have a bit of deception as well as having more control, a possibly shot from using your wrist could be flick serve.

Due to your grip. You should try and have your body facing (near) parallel to the side line so when you hit the shuttle, your body follows through, in the sense that you swap your feet from having the right foot behind your left foot to having your right in front of your left foot.

Keep posting videos, it helps not only yourself see, how you are improving but also how people on the forum can help you in the forum

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Okay will do! Thanks everyone. I'll try to play singles and record that match it should be better , it will be a week or so thanks. I appreciate all the help I can get! :D

11. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I'm already used to it though :0 I'll try though

12. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

You can keep the pan handle for backhand clears, works wonders for me.

At 3:18 in the video, try having both feet on the ground before doing a backhand, this can help you with balancing your body. Also when doing flat attacks, don't follow through so much with your arm. You should push the bird out by flicking your wrist, following a bit with your forearm at most.

You said you're working on your footwork, which is good. Keep improving!

#1912 Steve the noob, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  13. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    When I was doing that backhand sorry I knew what I was doing but I accidentally did something wrong when I was about to lunge , thanks Steve.

14. vixter

vixter Regular Member

swunk, I find this a naive and disrespectful reply! No offense. ;)

Everyone has different styles. One player may play more "stiff" while another plays more "relaxed". This is no indication of playing strength. Just because you liked the other player's style more, it's not cool to say that you think he played at "40%" and that he maybe didn't even want to play with the poster in question because of his alleged superiority?!... lol

When I watch this one, I can not say who wins the majority of their meetings. Couldn't judge that from only one set now could I?

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[VIDEO=youtube;0RyiHBPCoCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RyiHBPCoCE[/VIDEO]

MD match from the same day as the other matches, but the first team match (we play 2 team matches consecutively on a match day). Not so interesting as the score was pretty clear, 7 and 9 I believe, but the view is much better. You can also see our favored game situation, which is me serving and closing down the net and my partner working from the back, iirc we had a couple longer runs on my serve.

If all goes well (i.e. no one gets injured again), I'll have a little Christmas special for you - our next match is on December 22nd :D

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Looks like your partner has improved his serves. A bit stiff but much better. Tell him not to hit it but to push it over.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You're aware this isn't the guy I played the tournaments with? This guy's serves are usually not bad, and combined with my reach and decent 3rd shot we don't get put under much pressure when we serve. Also, this is the same day as the XD and MD, but I didn't get to upload it for a while for different reasons. Mainly, me being too lazy to go to University just to upload it and forgetting it when I went to study :D

18. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Haven't posted here in a while, took some footage at training to test out my new cell phone camera (Sony Xperia Z1) and and quite pleased with the results. Anyways just 16 sets of 20 shuttles multi shuttle with a 2 minute break at the halfway (8 sets) point. Nothing super special just thought I would share if anybody is/was interested.

[video=youtube;O1igy_kSvM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1igy_kSvM8[/video]

19. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
  20. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member