Weight training and first day back to badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Sep 13, 2002.

?

Do you strength/weight/cardio train?

1. Yes, regularly

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yes, occasionally

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, I don't need to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I don't have the time/willpower/whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Don't over weights, more repetition on less weight is better. Less injury. The idea is just to work out on the muscles. ;)

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    muscular endurance in other words, so your muscles can preform longer under stress and not fatigue as quickley

3. caduceusnz

caduceusnz Regular Member

The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Badminton

Has anyone used this book, and if so, thoughts on it? Thanks.

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    at the moment i am trying to change my body. An emmense amount of physical training is required so this is what i am doing.

Currently i am doing a 5 night trianing split.
    MONDAY - Chest training
    Dumbell press - 10 reps 25kg flat dumbell press
    - 10 reps 30kg flat dumbell press
    - 8 reps 32.5kg flat dumbell press

Bench press - 10 reps 50kg
    - 10 reps 60kg
    - 10 reps 70kg if i can push it if not another set of 60kg

Cable Fly - 10 reps 3 plates on lowest height
    - 10 reps 3 plates middle height
    - 10 reps 3 plates highest height

Peck deck - 10 reps 6 plates
    - 10 reps 6 plates
    - 10 reps 7 plates

3 Kilometre run.

TUESDAY - Biceps
    Dumbell curls - 3 sets 10 reps of 12.5 - 15kg dumbells

Barbell curl - normally around 30 kg curls 3 sets of 10 reps

Hammer curls - 3 sets of 10 reps 12.5 kgs

21's - 3 21's on around 20kgs depending how strong i am feelings

3kilometre run.

WEDNESDAY - Triceps
    Close grip bench press - 50 or 60kgs 3 sets of 10 reps

Triangle pull down - 10 reps 5 plates
    - 10 reps 6 plates
    - 10 reps 7 plates

scull crushers - 3 sets of around 20kgs 10 reps in each

dips 3 sets of 8-10.

3kilometre run.

THURSDAY - BACK

Standing bentover rows - 3 sets of 10 reps 60kgs - 70kgs

Lat pull downs - 10 reps 6 plates
    - 10 reps 7 plates
    - 10 reps 7 or 8 plates

wide grip pull ups - 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps

bent over dumbell pull - 30kg dumbell 3 sets of 10 reps PER ARM sometimes 35kg dumbell.

3kilometre run.

FRIDAY - SHOULDERS

Shoulder press - 20kg dumbells 3 sets of 10 reps.

Standing military press - 30kg 3 sets of 8-10

seated military press - 50kg 3 sets of 8-10

Standing dumbell front raises - 3 sets of 10 reps per arm 12.6 kg dumbells

3kilometre run.

Every 3 weeks i am adding 1km to the run and as i get stronger the weight increases slightly.

Im hoping to drop my weight from my year off training and get back into peak physical fitness!!!!!

#84 bradmyster, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. Dchee

Dchee New Member

Dude..this is not body building time...ur way is for like football players..cmon a badminton player wouldn't spend their time lifting weights a whole weekly basics...they would rather go to the courts and try to improve their footwork.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, you'd be surprised ;)
    A great many badminton players take weight training very seriously.

7. bradmyster

yup and there is a tremendous amount of different between size training and strength training... you could be as skinny as lee chong wei and be able to bench as much as i can...it all depends on how you train and how tight your muscle fibres are...as wel as how fast they twitch.

If i was doing size training id be eating a heapload with lots of suppliments including protein creatine etc etc. I take an energy supliment and tahts it...i eat a salad serving for lunch each day and a small meal for dinner.

sooo hopefully as i said fitness and strength will skyrocket!!!

8. caduceusnz

The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Badminton

Any advances on this book I asked about a few weeks ago?

9. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    for badminton, I think the key to any weight training is to do eccentric lifting...since that is best for injury prevention...also...eccentric lifting is better for gaining power (strength/time) and obviously...training for muscle endurance as opposed to muscle strength is the way to go.

10. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

I am surprised at the lack of mention of jump roping as part of their workout. It is very effective in training leg muscles, especially if you do one jump per two spins of the rope.

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Nice your training plan is very similar to mine, although I'm trying to slowly get my strength back after suffering another herniated disc :'(....

Have you tried T-bol lor Nocedex XT?

12. bradmyster

nope have not tried those!
    my training schedule has changed alot!!
    as i get fitter and stronger it changes haha

also due to a few major injuries iv had over the last couple of months.

I now train strength weight training monday tuesday wednesday nights. Badminton training Mon Tues Thurs Fri Sat Sunday!! (sunday if i havnt been out the night before haha)

13. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

Bradmyster, would you please kindly share your training program? As in what excercises and how many reps/sets. Your post on strength training, without an increase in mass as well as your diet is very intriguing.

I was under the assumption that a reasonably large (well, larger than what is required by someone not weight training) portion of protein was required to efficiently build muscle fibres. Also, what do you mean by energy supplement? As in red bull, rockstar, monster, etc?

14. bradmyster

My training / diet has changed dramatically over the last few months.
    Diet wise i eat 2 standard serves of chicken with rice or pasta spaced out at around 11am then 1am. Thats my lunches. Then for dinner whatever we have as a family. May be steak, spaghetti, BBQ anything.

Training wise i am now training just 3 days a week at gym. Monday doing chest, Tuesday legs and abs, wednesday Biceps/triceps.
    Monday Tues Thurs Fri Sat are badminton days aswell.

If you want my training program hmmm EG chest days we will start off doing Bench press. 60kgs 10 reps, 60kgs 10 reps 70kgs 10 reps.
    Flat dumbell press. 25kgs 4 sets of 8 - 10 reps.
    Cable flys. 3 sets of 3plates..not sure of the weight...10 reps.
    Peck deck 3 sets of 5 plates. 10 reps.

So u get the basic idea. Not aiming to max out huge weights or anything just making sure i can comfortably push these weights for a few weeks until my muscle fibres tighten and strengthen. Then i will slowly increase the weight.

Legs will involve free standing squats....calf raises, quad extensions, leg press etc.

Abs on the incline bench we do lots of different situps with weight on our chest normally just a 10kgs plate or something.

Biceps/triceps all the normal dumbell curls, tricep extensions etc etc etc

Hope you get the idea ;)

15. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

do you have that book? How is it? I think I looked at a few pages and it shows exercises but I don't know how specific to badminton it is.

Reason being, the author writes similar books for other sports... so I would think it is too general.

16. caduceusnz

Lol I eventually got the book anyway.

As a general weights manual it's quite good, lots of muscle region-specific exercises, including alternative exercises depending on availability of equipment and also has advice on scheduling the training.

However, you're absolutely right, the author is not exactly a renowned badminton coach (does he even play badminton?!), so probably not very badminton-specific. I say 'probably not' because I've had minimal badminton-coaching and certainly zip in the weights area, so don't really know.

Still, I don't know about any other published manuals on badminton exercises (even Vip Malixi's Advanced Badminton Techniques is poor here e.g. suggests sit-ups, which according to many 'muscle experts' is bad for you; crunches much better). If anyone can suggest another would be great (maybe some BC member would like to do one?).

#96 caduceusnz, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  17. Kevin402can

Kevin402can Regular Member

I find that the difficulty with most weight training programs is that they take too much time, which is too bad, as done properly weight training can be very time effecient, so this is what I do to make it more time effecient.
    Instead of doing three sets just do one. Studies show that 1 set, if you make it hard enough is somewhere between 80 and 100 percent effective as three sets. Only do one exercise per body part. Stick to exercises that use lots of muscles at once, bench pressing or dipping is more effecient that do pec flys. Moves the weights slowly, at least 5 seconds up and down, you will eliminate the chance of injury and you will eliminate the need for a warm-up set. After you finish one exercise move immediately to the next one. Work out all your muscles once per week, that is enough.
    Working out like this you should be in an out of the gym in less than 45 minutes and probably less than 1/2 an hour once a week. You will see your strength go up and when your strength goes up your speed will go up and with the time you save you can practice your badminton.
    regards
    Kevin

18. caduceusnz

Thanks for the advice Kevin, but seems too good to be true! Have you got any evidence to back this up (e.g. where the studies are published), as this is quite different to most exercise regimens I've read.

There was an Australian study published earlier this year (hockey I think) that suggested stretching is not useful but warming up is.

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I've tried the one set program - not bad, but I found my strength didn't improve all that much and did very little to improve my repetive muscle endurance. Muscle shock and growth was pretty good.

20. Kevin402can

Kevin402can Regular Member

I researched it quite a bit a couple of years ago but I don't remember where all the information was found. Stuart McRobert and Mike Mentzer were two of my main sources of information. The basic idea is that recovery and growth can take quite a bit longer for the average person that is not on steroids than for the geneticaaly gifted chemically helped bodybuilder. For myself as an example, I worked out yesterday and I am sore and tired today. Why would I go to the gym again tomorrow?
    I used to be a bike racer, a sport where you spend a lot of time training. As I got older and family and work commitments grew I started training with shorter times and greater intensity and increasing recovery. I raced just as successfully. That was what convinced me that less could work better. After I stopped racing I really looked into the less is more philosophy.
    Realistically if you train with weights you will be better off than if you don't train with weights but you have to balance it with everything else. Even if other programs get faster results, if they take too much time so you don't do them, then doing less but actually doing it works better.
    regards
    Kevin