Front Court Improvement and Racket Selection

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by roystenemmor, Sep 2, 2012.

1. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

I just started playing badminton 2 years ago and my first racket was NS9900. I still using that racket right now because of the not-so-heavy head racket compares to other Yonex. Right now I'm thinking of buying new racket (currently have just one) which suits my style of playing. I usually play doubles and prefer more time in rear court (smashing) rather than in the front court (net play), because honestly I'm not a good player when it comes to net play. I need a racket which can help me improves (of course i train for net play every time i warm up as well) my playing in front court. I am thinking of Victor BS09 - BS12 or Yonex Nanoray 700RP & 700FX. Please advice me on this. Thank you.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You're already using one of the best rackets around (if not the best from Yonex) for front court play! :)

My suggestion would be to select a better feel string like vs850 with rough texture for better touch and control.

3. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

Thanks Visor. Will try to restring my current racket with VS850. Just for your info, i'm using BG66 Ultimax tension 23x25lbs

4. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    you're also using one of the best yonex's strings....
    a very fine string, good for repulsion, control and touch....
    but it's up to you, string choice also very personal like rackets.....

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Repulsion yes, but touch and control no, there are better strings out there.

6. Gunnersfan

Student
    like i said, string also very personal like rackets.....
    what we feel maybe different because of several factor like technique and strength.....

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    the most improvement will come from training, spend more time thinking about your training, changing your racket will only be very very marginal!

but if you must buy a second racket/spare racket, why not the same? ns9900. that way if you do end up playing a game and one string breaks, your spare will feel the same and you won't have to adjust your swing to a new racket.

#7 gundamzaku, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  8. Gunnersfan

Student
    i absolutely agree....
    imo, the racket is as good as the people who holds it....
    it's true there are difference between head light and head heavy, stiff and flexible shaft and etc. but in the end it's our technique and skill that will play important role in our game....
    to improve technique is only by training, not changing rackets or strings......
    a good racket doesnt make up a good technique....

9. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

Thanks Gunnerfan, maybe. Do you think i should lowered the tension a bit with BG66 Ultimax or VS850?

10. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

I agree with both of you Gunnerfan and Visor. Maybe i need to spend more time with net play and work hard on my soft touch. Sometimes i prefer to do deceptive flick or lift rather than net play

11. visor

visor Regular Member

IMHO, bg66um freshly strung is fine but loses its feel and playability very quickly after 2-3 weeks.

Vs850 with one of the roughest textures around and excellent feel provides the best touch for delicate accurate play at front and midcourt. Which is what the OP wants. Repulsion and power is not too bad either. I would suggest you raise the tension by 1-2lbs for better control and feel.

Do a search and you'll find out what's been said of these strings.

12. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

Thanks gundamzaku. I'm thinking of that way too.

13. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

Visor, another thing is i'm reconsidering to restring my racket by raising it as you mentioned. I will try it tonight and see if it suits me. Thanks

14. Gunnersfan

Student
    im not sure what string to suggest but i tried BG65, BG85, BG80 and BG66UM....
    i feel a fine string gives me more in control and repulsion....
    other way to gain more control is to increase string tension but beware not to increase excessively as it may backfire yourself.....
    high tension gives more control but less power and vice versa....

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The BS09 is an excellent "front" racket, and you might find it more powerful than the NS9900 because the BS09 is less stiff; I wouldn't recommend an NS9900 to a two-year player unless they'd been getting professional coaching:).

16. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

BG66UM - Good when freshly strung, but it really feel bad after 2-3weeks like Visor mentioned as above, which i also experienced before, it loses repulsion and hitting sound badly, i cut it after 3 weeks for this string and will never use this string anymore.

VS850 - Also cant really maintain tension, strung it higher than your usual tension, however it is still playable after 3 weeks, better than bg66UM IMO

17. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    also another thing about the VS850 after a few weeks is that the string no longer feel grisp. it's actually sorta dull, which makes you not want to hit with it. but by the time third week rolls around, my string is so worn it's about to break so i just play till it snaps and restring it with a new set of vs850 :)

18. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

Thanks Mark for your opinion. I still like my NS9900 since i've been using it for more than 2 years. The only problem so far is not really with the racket but the way i execute net play. Last night i used VS850, the texture a bit rough than BG66 Ultimax with tension 23 x 25lbs and easier for me to control my net play rather than just lifting it to rear court for my opponent to smash. Anyway, i do need a spare racket otherwise from what my friend said, "You will not want to retire playing badminton just by one SPECIES of racket, do you?" LoL

19. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're considering another racket, Nanoray 800 should be out already. That would be very close to the NS9900.

20. roystenemmor

roystenemmor New Member

Thanks Mark for your opinion. I still like my NS9900 since i've been using it for more than 2 years. The only problem so far is not really with the racket but the way i execute net play. Last night i used VS850, the texture a bit rough than BG66 Ultimax with tension 23 x 25lbs and easier for me to control my net play rather than just lifting it to rear court for my opponent to smash. Anyway, i do need a spare racket otherwise from what my friend said, "You will not want to retire playing badminton just by one SPECIES of racket, do you?" LoL