Victor (Asia)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ferrerkiko, Mar 20, 2010.

1. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Chann

Here's my review. I think of how a racquet feels and plays compared to other racquets in my reviews rather than some of the stuff the technical guys look for. SO here's my review, which has not yet been published on my blog.

Background
    As I work for a badminton retailer, I am occasionally asked to review other manufacturer’s racquets. Against this backcloth, I recently tested a Victor Bravesword 10 badminton racquet and got a huge surprise.
    A few years ago, the Victor brand was extremely small in UK, mainly considered a European brand. We knew very little about their products and level of quality. That changed just over a year ago when it was announced that they were the new sponsors of the Korean National Badminton Team. This was a serious leap forward for Victor and ultimately gave them an international seal of approval in terms of quality. After all, if a racquet is good enough for Lee Yong Dae, current Olympic Mixed Doubles champion and World Mens Doubles Silver Medallist, and his team, then it must be good!
    On to my review…
    The Bravesword 10 is the “second” racquet in the Bravesword series, the cream of the Victor badminton range, sitting either side of the 9 and 11.
    It’s a good looking racquet in charcoal grey, with flashes of red, white and what looks like a hologram strip along the side of the head. It arrived in a full length bag in red with the name on the bag to differentiate it from the 9 and 11. This is a high quality full-cover bag too, nothing flimsy here.
    Grip size is G3 which is the smaller of the two grip sizes on Victor racquets. It’s equivalent to a size 3.5 inches or Yonex G4, which is a bit confusing. Weight is 86g. Interestingly, this racquet has a maximum recommended stringing tension of 30lbs so it’s got to be very strong and should be extremely popular in the Asian market where strings tensions are so much higher.
    This is a fairly even balanced racquet, slightly head heavy, but not too much. The shaft is designated stiff.
    Usually when I test and review racquets, I like to play with the racquet factory strung. On this occasion, the Bravesword 10 had been custom strung to around 26lbs. Rather than be disappointed, I was absolutely delighted and you’ll see why when you read on.
    Bravesword technology revolves around the shape of the frame – which is actually the shape of a sword. And this racquet certainly sounds like one as you can hear it cut through the air!
    Overhead Performance
    Do you ever pick up a racquet and just know it’s going to be good? When I walked on to court with Bravesword 10, I had one of those moments.
    The first hit confirmed that this racquet had that special quality. Clears were effortless and there was plenty of touch for drop shots. The racquet really cuts through the air quickly which allows for great speed, although the control is still there. The string tension felt “right” for this racquet. Sometimes they can be strung too tight that it’s harder to generate power. It would be exciting to experiment with string tensions on this racquet as I feel it’s got even more to offer.
    There’s a little weight in the head, which is good as you can feel the flow of the racquet in the swing, and enhances performance and control.
    The combination of the air resistance qualities of the racquet, the stiff shaft and the slight weight in the head, generate a lot of power. Yes, this is definitely a powerful racquet.
    Defence
    Defensively this racquet was easy to use. Again, the air resistance qualities of the head made the racquet easy to manoeuvre and the slight weight in the head was insufficient to counter this speed. In fact, the combination worked very well indeed as you felt there was some meat behind drive returns.
    Net Area
    A racquet that performs well in defence always performs well around the net area. After all, we’re talking about generating controlled racquet speed here, in very short bursts with the slightest touch for the really tight net shots. Again, BS10 was outstanding.
    Summary
    It’s been a long time since I’ve had the pleasure of testing another manufacturer’s racquet of such quality. The Bravesword 10 was outstanding in every area I tested. RRP is £109.95 which is incredible for a racquet of this quality. Retailers will discount to under £100 so you’re getting an absolute bargain here.
    The Bravesword 10 has the accolade of being my first 5 star racquet in the Victor range and also my first 5 star racquet out of all the other manufacturer’s ranges I’ve tested. Credit to Victor here for producing such a brilliant racquet.
    There’s no question that the Victor brand is now world class. Whilst it’s relatively unknown in UK at the moment, I’m sure that their quality and pricing will easily find a way into the market. You’d be wise to test Victor’s Bravesword 10 if you can find one, because this level of quality deserves a place next to the most well-known brands.
    To your success
    Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

2. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Marpan

If you don't mind heavy-heavy racquets, then this one could be for you. SIW35 is a really stiff racquet and is weighted around the top of the head. This allows the weight to follow your swing so you get bucket loads of ooommmph.

When you crack a smash with SIW it's like launching a missile from a tank.

You'd really need to test this racquet and judge for yourself. If you're a wrist only player, you would need to add more to your technique, which isn't a bad thing.

Hope this helps.

Paul

3. chann

chann Regular Member

just manage to get a nice 2nd hand bs10 from a nice gentlemen

( all the victors are made in taiwan , sg coded , all 3u 2g)

Head Heaviness ( BS 11 > BS 10 > SW 35 > BS 09) *
    Shaft stiffness ( BS 10 >SW 35 > BS 11 > BS 09)
    Power (BS11/SW35 > BS10 > BS09) *

* still abit confusing over which is head heavier between the bs10 and sw35 but both rackets have their heaviness at the top part of the frame

*bs 10 is at 2nd place for now as a prediction, will give it some try at a game sometime this week and update when needed.

Btw paul , VERY nice and true review.

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

No way is SW35 less head heavy than BS11.

Head heavyness SW35>BS10/BS11>BS09
    Stiffness SW35>BS10>BS11>BS09
    Power SW35 !!!!

5. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Totally agree with LD Rules. SIW is by far the heaviest head in the Victor series, and probably the stiffest shaft too.

Paul

6. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

I found something weird in your chart compared to another chart (look at bravesword 11)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Error in the chart or probably the axis is different ?.

7. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Head Heaviness : SW35, BS11, SW36, BS09 and BS10.
    Stiffness: SW35, BS10, SW36, BS11 and BS09.

SW35 bp: 300 or above (Definitely Head Heavy)
    SW36 bp: 290 or above (Slight Head Heavy)
    BS09 bp: 280 or above (Even to slight Head Heavy)
    BS10 bp: 280 or above (Even Balanced)
    BS11 bp: 290 or above (Slight to Head Heavy)

The balance point are all rough estimate. Some racket can be off spec. I have a 4U BS11 which feels heavier than a 3U BS11 by alot and not because of the grip size.

The new BS10 and 11 swing the fastest follow by BS09 and then SW35 and 36.

SW35 is the most powerful and BS09 is the most user friendly racket. If you are more of a smashing type of player, SW35 or 36 is easier to smash with. For driving and defending, I prefer BS series as it is easier to drive the shuttle. Probably due to the frame. I have tried all the 5 rackets and sold some. Currently only left BS09 and BS11. SW35 and BS10 is too stiff. Personally BS10 is even harder to play with than SW35 because BS10 is not that head heavy and stiff, it is hard to generate power unless you got a very strong wrist. Hope this help to clear some doubts and help fellow forumers to make more informed choice on choosing victor new rackets. No chance to try the Spira 21. ;)

8. Danielsan

Danielsan Regular Member

Thanks for the wonderful insides to the various rackets! Think im leaning more towards getting BS11 & SW36 now..

Cheers!!

9. chann

chann Regular Member

seriously , my bs11 is the heaviest compared to sw35 and bs10. if you are in singapore i would like to invite you to come and test it :D

all i can think of is , my bs11 might be off spec.

10. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Comparing my SW35 to an AT700 original (never owned nor have had the opportunity to try it or ever held one in my hands), which is head heavier and stiffer? Tks.

11. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Yes, do take note that as victor do not specify the specs, it might be off spec. To answer your question, sw35 is stiffer than at 700.

12. chann

chann Regular Member

hope this victor thread keeps going instead of having other victor threads about each individual racquet popping everywhere.

13. RSLvictorSOTX

Hey thanks, what about the head heaviness factor?

14. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    I have a chance to have a hit with the old and new AT700 and i feel the AT700 2nd gen is heavier than the 1st Gen AT700. I am not 100% sure but i feel the head heaviness is comparable. However, SW35 hits harder as it is really stiffer. My advice to you is when you decide to get the model you want. Choose from a few of them. It might really feel quite different. It is the same with Yonex racket too. As long as you can handle the racket, SW35 is one of the best attacking racket with excellent feel you can get on the market right now.

15. chann

chann Regular Member

hello huangxl , just curious , what strings and tension are you using on your bs 9 and bs 11? :)

16. RSLvictorSOTX

Copy that with thanks.

17. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I am using B.S 9 with victor VS 850 string at tension 28.

18. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    i am using zymax 62 at 25lbs ecp

19. chann

chann Regular Member

used to use zymax 62 27lbs on my apacs lethal 70 , then it snapped within an hour.

now i'm using vs650 on my bs11 and sw 35 @ 25lbs and bg66sharp @ 26lbs on the bs10.

prefer the bg66 sharp @ 26lbs over the vs650s, any recommendation close to the bg66 sharps? bg80 bg68?

20. Marpan

Marpan Regular Member

I would like to ask a question regarding SW35...since is one of the best racquet on the market.. Do you think anyone can break TBH Arc Saber Z speed record??

I just brought a SW35, it feels lighter than Arc Saber Z. I am hoping to have the same feeling as most of the Readers describe....