Tournament shuttle selection process

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by craigandy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=464370&dl=1

General Competition REgulations, 26.10
    26.10 Shuttles
    26.10.1 One brand of BWF approved shuttle only must be adopted for exclusive use during any tournament and the name of this brand must be advertised in the prospectus.
    26.10.2 No rationing of shuttles per match must be allowed, and all shuttles used must be a charge against the tournament and not against the players concerned.

Laws of Badminton, 3
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=422701&tid=1

The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallelto the side lines.3.2 A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of theother back boundary line as in Diagram B.​

DIAGRAM B​
    test-shuttle-speed.jpg

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Technically, before a match, usually the player is not allowed to test it. It's already done beforehand by the referee. Maybe if the tournament goes later in the day and the weather changes quite a bit.

Edit: By test, I mean do the correct procedure in testing the shuttle for speed. They can test a serve and etc.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Which shuttle will be selected to play on court (slow, medium or fast)?? who will decide it?? I think both the players need to come to a compromise for a particular type of shuttle to be selected. Referee will play a role in this??

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ There is no need for "compromise". The type of shuttle that can comply with Laws of Badminton 3 will be the one selected.

Laws of Badminton, 3
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_dow...d=422701&tid=1

The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallelto the side lines.3.2 A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of the other back boundary line as in Diagram B.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

When I was at the German Open last year I saw the referee letting a player test the shuttles just before the matches began. I think this is normal procedure, maybe they also test the shuttles again in the middle of the day to compensate the changing conditions.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks for your information. Still i have one last and final doubt about it. If a shuttle that comply with the laws of badminton 3 will be selected, which type of shuttle will be selected. I mean one player may want 'slow' type of shuttles. And one may want 'fast' type of shuttles. In that case, which one is selected and how??

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The players don't decide in a big tournament (the tournament ref does) they play with what they are given, They can appeal to the umpire during a game and would have to prove that they are totally the wrong speed(outwith the boundary) then the umpire could call for new speed shuttles and would just go to the next speed up or down.

Still puzzled about this Kim Her assumption anybody???

#27 craigandy, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

9. cwjx94

cwjx94 Regular Member

Student
    I would just like to say, during the England-Denmark match at the europeans this year, they actually do change the shuttle speeds right at the start of the match due to the players complaints. It requires proof that both pairings are unhappy with the length of shot of the shuttle as well as the tournament referee to agree to this.

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member