Useful deceptive or trick shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by waiwai8, Jun 1, 2008.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That's outrageous :eek:. Too bad about the camera angle though

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    haha no problem, theres always new stuff being added i might have some more stuff just gotta find it first see where it is and if its revelent.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no thanks........

4. waiwai8

waiwai8 Regular Member

Policy & Research Coordinator
    Your loss. Lazy.
    If you can't contribute something constructive then why post?

May be it's been mentioned but another good shot to try to imitate is Lin Dan's deception when he pretends to hit a long straight from his forehand then last moment hits it hard cross court e.g. from (his view) left to right forcing the opponent to do a quick backhand.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I have to wonder....

Deception is all about creativity, a relaxed wrist, and keeping an eye on your opponent...
    Why try and ask for any standard formula's?

In the front court alone, there uncountable variations to "flick" your opponent, or fake s straight a net a cross....
    Just experiment yourself:)

To try a few (weird but) fun ones:
    on your backhand side, do a netshot like a forehand (looks odd), and soemtimes try and do a crossnetshot (with your forehand on your backhand side)
    The same on your forehand: do a backhand netshot, or do a backhand netshot cross.

Other than that, keep trying new stuff, but one golden rule is:
    Never fake a shot away form your opponent, and hit it to him. Always fake towards him, and it it away.
    If you do the first, all deception is pretty futile....

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

you could try to make him/her rush to the net though. something like that i suppose. then when he/she does, drive it straight at him, catching him/her off guard, hopefully.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, from that perspective, smashes to the body, and pushes towards him are exceptions, I guess...
    But for lob, drops and clears, basic set-up shots, it's generally true ;)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You can get a lot of ideas from other people.

Deception can be taught. There are technical elements, just like any other shot. But the really tricky part is how to teach the tactical awareness.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Yes, it can definatly be taught....

but to look at 4-5 video's of maybe 6-8 different shots would, in my opinion, limit your strokes.
    I'd recommend general hold&flick, or reverse-slice or subtle wrist/finger-work instruction over 3-4 'standard' shorts (standard is probably an awful word for this...)

In one sense, I'd say "keep it a bit vague" and teach to think for yourself, and experiment yourself (which would open up your variations a lot).
    on the other hand, seeing shots can be very inspirational...
    Both sides have some valid points :eek:

10. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Regular Member

Student
  11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yes, thank you, that's the one I was talking about.
    That's just another hold and flick, but it's so deceiving..

Most trickshots are done by the net and they usually involve the player 'holding' before striking the shuttle.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Ahem, that's quite an old trick ;)

13. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    my favorite trickshot...
    drop to the front right. You go for the bird, standard netdrop footwork, looks like your going to drop it right back over. when you get there, bring racket around like a crosscout drop, but drop the racket down to your waist instead of hitting it and lift it to the right side.
    done properly, the go to the front left to take your drop, run to their right for a croscourt, then you lift all the way back...great singles trickshot...
    less good in doubles, but its a great positioning shot, as they basically have one player really confused, and they hafta regather themselves

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Isn't that similar to this one ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszBfSWdAys&feature=related

15. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    im not sure, because I cant view the video right now. Ill look when i get home. On a related note, instead of a lift, you can, after faking the crsscourt, drop it to the same side.
    So its fake to drop, fake crosscourt, then drop it like what they expected the first time

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  18. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    I remember there was once my opponent was anticipating that i'll return his shot with a drive to his partner, who is considerably weaker than him...(which i have done so many times previously in the game), but instead i did a deceptive shot by faking it away, but hitting to him. Turns out the shuttle passed behind him so easily:cool: Fooled:p

There are also other situations when such shots are used effectively...even in pro matches sometimes they would fake a shot away but hit it to their opponent...so it may not be totally futile;)

19. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    that is true yeah i can only see it working once in a while though like just cause it could catch them off guard here and there but also if they over anticipate wouldnt that work as well in that case? you fake away then hit it to where they are as they would be caught moving in the other direction or would that just end up being a fake since they wouldnt be in their origional position anymore? i dont know maby im trying to over think things to much with that.

I remember once playing a guy in a tournament and i was comming into the net on my backhand going to do a simple hold and crosscourt flick (suck him in and then put it to his backhand corner) but before i could even start to do anything (racquet and me were just comming in not really that easy to tell which shot was going to be played) he immediatly started to move to the back of the court so i just let the shuttle bounce off my racquet and won the point with a dumbfounded look on my face.

i not entierly sure if that kinda falls into the catagorie of a deceptive shot, sorta kinda but maby? i guess i more so faked him by faking a fake.

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

okay, one more time, I'm hoping I can put it in clear writing this time round ;)

When playing drops, clears and lifts, basic "building-shots" if you will, It is a wasted effort to fake a shot (drop clear lift) away from your opponent and then hit it towards him.
    Just one example: your opponent hits a cross clear form his forehand rearcorner to your forehand, faking a straight drop and clearing it crosscourt is useless.
    Another one, your opponent does a straight lift, you fake a cross-drop, but hit a straight smash (or sticksmash, or drop). Again, it might work, but on a general scale it's a wasted effort.

(and by faking, I don't literally mean a dry swing, but just letting your racket and body position indicate a certain shot/angle/corner... I have no better word for it :eek:)

Now, what you were all preying for, the exceptions:
    -drives to the body
    -smashes to the body
    -netshots
    -a lot of doublesplay (mostly involving the above mentioned exceptions)

I was hoping to get my point across in one post, I apologize for my vague writing:eek:

#40 jerby, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008