Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avataar

avataar Regular Member

this year my focus is to train hard and play less tournaments - saina's comments minutes after her 1st rd win at the BAC

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    It's all or nothing in Nehwal's quest to be best in the world

World's number ten badminton player dreams of Olympic gold
    [​IMG]
    • The world’s No 10 best badminton player Saina Nehwal at the BITS Pilani, Dubai.
    • Image Credit: Abdel-krim Ka llouche/Gulf News
    Dubai: It has always been 100 per cent or nothing for Saina Nehwal.

She knew she couldn't serve two masters at the same time so she chose to set her books aside and pursue a career in badminton instead.

A decision to place anything above studying in a degree-hungry country such as India is sure to be frowned upon.

However, her stunning results and rise to number five in the world rankings have proved that Nehwal has indeed exercised good judgment in choosing the court over the classroom.

At 20, she is easily India's most successful sportswoman with numerous coveted trophies, including the BWF Super Series Indonesia Open and two Commonwealth Youth Games titles in her display cabinet.

"I wanted to focus on one thing and that's why I gave up [on studies after 12th Grade]," Nehwal said.

"The game is more important and that's what I want to focus on right now.

"When I am done with playing I will think about graduating."
    Nehwal was recently the guest of honour at the prize giving ceremony of the seventh BITS Sports Festival at BITS Pilani, Dubai.

"My father is a scientist and he wanted me to take up medicine, but after playing well at a young age and representing India at the Olympics, and reaching the top eight in the world and then number five, everything seemed to be happening so good that I don't want to change a thing or even focus on anything other than badminton."

Nehwal said the next few years would be crucial to her career as she hoped to improve her world ranking and add to her dazzling list of successes.

"Five years from now I see myself as the world number one; as someone who has won the world championship — won the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, as someone who has won everything" she said.

"I believe I have the potential to do that because of the way I am playing against all the top players.

"I have been beating them regularly. If I work hard I know I will win good tournaments.

"An Olympic gold has always been my dream. I think I got ahead of myself and started thinking of the semis instead of focusing on my quarter-final match when I drew a blank and lost [at the 2008 Beijing Games]. When you really want something, sometimes you don't get it."

A semi-finalist at this year's All England Championships, Nehwal said her current coach Pullela Gopichand had a big hand in her transformation into an "international-level" player.

"I've been with him for the last four to five years," she said.

"I was a no-one a few years back, but he helped me improve. I was good at smashing and playing that fast, aggressive game, but he helped me with the good strokes."

Fact file
    • Name: Saina Nehwal
    • Date of birth: March 17, 1990
    • Height: 5ft 5in
    • Nationality: India
    • Style: Right-handed
    • Highest ranking: World No5
    • Current ranking: World No 10
    • Major tournaments won: BWF Super Series Indonesia Open (2009); Commonwealth Youth Games (2004, 2008); Philippines Open (2006); Yonex Chinese Taipei Open (2008); World Junior Badminton Championship (2008)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It looks like Saina is happy continuing with Badminton

Our lives are usually determined by our dreams. We usually follow that dream which makes us happier.

It looks like Saina is happy continuing with Badminton.

Let us wish that Saina can make more of her dreams come true.

4. SibugiChai

YAB
    lotta people follow their dream but it turns out to be nightmares...

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If our dreams have not come true ......

If our dreams have not come true, and/or do not make us happier, then we need to follow another dream.

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

News article about Saina...

Badminton: Saina's Dubai desire

World No. 6 tells XPRESS she hopes to play here in the near future after her first visit to the city

By Jaydip Sengupta, Sports Writer
    Published: 00:00 April 29, 2010

Dubai: Saina Nehwal was back in school...well, college for a few hours at least. Dropping in for a quick visit to grace the BITS Sports Festival at BITS Pilani, the World No. 6 shuttler regaled students to three games of exhibition stuff, as they cheered her every move.

She was scheduled to play just one game, but so caught up was she with the mood of the occasion that she extended her stint on the court.

In a courtside chat to XPRESS, she said: "Their enthusiasm is so infectious. It is really sad that Dubai doesn't have any international tournament, or a badminton federation for that matter. I would love to play here some day.

"But at least BITS Pilani, Dubai have invited me. The one in India still haven't," she said, on what was her first visit to Dubai.

Saina's stay was short, but she still managed to take in a bit of the city. "I always wanted to see the world's tallest building and I managed to do so on my way from the airport," she said.

The 20-year-old, who cracked the top five earlier this year, is just biding her time, as she seeks to be the best player in the world. "All those above me are from China. They play against themselves all the time in order to get better. I am all alone in that respect in India, with no other player in sight. So, I have to keep playing matches against them.

---------------------------------

*Full article : gulfnews.com -- http://gulfnews.com/sport/other-sports/badminton-saina-s-dubai-desire-1.619324

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Think positive Saina. You can do it !!!

Saina could get top IND Mens Singles to play against her. IMHO, Saina is luckier than LCW, PG, TH, and many others in that respect.

Think positive Saina. You can do it !!! :):):)

8. SibugiChai

YAB
    We need to break China dominance in order for badminton to survive...

WOMEN POWER!!!!!!!!!

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Singapore Open SS: Saina Nehwal won

It's great to find Saina Nehwal winning the 2010 Singapore Open Womens Singles. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Saina Nehwal just needs more consistency in terms of beating the other top CHN players like Wang Yihan (who has been losing left, right, and centre this year), Wang Xin, and Wang Shixian. Plus....one more European top-gun....Tine Rasmussen.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    After the win, a spot of shopping

TODAY
    05:55 AM Jun 21, 2010

India's Nehwal says Chinese women no longer as strong

by Low Lin Fhoong

SINGAPORE - Change is in the air, with signs pointing to a revolution in women's badminton.

Heading that revolution are the South Korean women's team, who upset the Chinese giants 3-1 in the Uber Cup finals for the first time in 12 years to lift the coveted trophy in Kuala Lumpur last month.

India's top female player Saina Nehwal, who won the Badminton World Federation's (BWF) Junior Championship in 2008, is another who has savoured the feeling.

The 20-year-old defeated China's Wang Lin (world No 4) at last year's Indonesia Open Super Series to clinch her first major senior title, and is currently the top-ranked non-Chinese shuttler at world No 6.

The newly-crowned India Open Grand Prix Gold winner gave fans back home much to cheer about yesterday, after clinching her second super series title at the Li Ning Singapore Open at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, with a 2-0 win over 16-year-old Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan.

Victories over China's reigning world champion Lu Lan (world No 10) and Li Xuerui in Singapore have once again put her in the spotlight.

Nehwal, who was guided by 2001 All England winner Pullela Gopichand, is revelling in the attention and believes this could be the end of the Chinese women's stranglehold.

"The current players are not as strong as those like Zhang Ning, and their young ones are beatable," she said. "There is a lot of change in the game, and it's about time that happened. Everyone has good strokes, but it takes stamina and fitness to beat them.

"A lot of time in the women's game, players give up when they meet the top Chinese, but for me, even when I play the world No 1, I feel like a champion and that mentality has helped me," she added.

For her week-long effort at the Li Ling Singapore Open, the Indian took home the winner's cheque of US$15,000 ($20,700).

"This is one of my best performances and I'm happy with how I did today, but obviously the world champs in August are the next target," she said.

Nehwal heads to Jakarta to defend her title at the Indonesia Open this week.

On the cards later are the BWF World Championships, October's Commonwealth Game in New Delhi and November's Asian Games in Guangzhou.

And winning the Commonwealth Games gold in front of her home crowd will be special for the shuttler.

For now, Nehwal is just hoping to get some shopping done before she jets off to the Indonesian capital.

"I'm off to Mustafa (shopping centre) after this," she told MediaCorp.

Results (x denotes seeding):

Men's singles Sony Dwi Kuncoro (INA x7) bt Boonsak Ponsana (THA x4) 21-16, 21-16

Women's singles Saina Nehwal (IND x1) bt Tai Tzu Ying (TPE) 21-18, 21-15

Men's doubles Fang Chieh Min/Lee Sheng Mu (TPE) bt Howard Bach/Tony Gunawan (USA x8) 21-14, 21-15

Women's doubles Shinta Mulia Sari/Yao Lei (SIN) bt Kim Min Jung/Lee Hyo Jung (KOR x5) 21-17, 22-20

Mixed doubles Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter Juhl (DEN x2) bt Nova Widianto/Liliyana Natsir (INA x1) 21-12, 21-15

Some pictures of the final from my album.

Attached Files:

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Wish that Saina Nehwal could continue to do well at the 2010 Indonesia Open

Wish that Saina Nehwal could continue to do well at the 2010 Indonesia Open, after winning the 2010 Singapore Open. :):):)

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    She looks so pretty when she smiles. Seriously, she can even take part in Miss Universe Pageant with those make-up! lol

16. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal doesn't wear make-up when participating in Badminton tournaments

Saina Nehwal doesn't wear make-up when participating in Badminton tournaments.

Wonder where you get your info from? :confused::confused::confused:

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    After her QF victory over China's Li Xuerui, 21-17, 21-14, Saina Nehwal joined her teammates at the players section.

I was seated nearby and took some shots of her including that of a young fan asking for her autograph. :D

She did not put on any make-up and it did not matter as she was looking good. ;)

Attached Files:

19. SibugiChai

YAB
    My best is yet to come - Saina Nehwal

World's sixth-ranked badminton player attributes her rapid rise to fitness

• By Gautam Bhattacharyya, Deputy Sports Editor
    • Published: 00:00 June 23, 2010
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Saina Nehwal of India returns to Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan during the women’s singles final at the Singapore Open Badminton Super Series last Sunday. Nehwal won the match 21-18, 21-15.
    • Image Credit: AP

Dubai: She may have just won two back-to-back titles, one of them the second Super Series title of her career, but Saina Nehwal is not the kind of sportswoman who rests on her laurels.
    Currently ranked number six in the world, the 20-year-old is now poised for a leap at the top spot — but refuses to put a date to it.
    "Yes, that's my goal and I want to give my 100 per cent towards it," Nehwal told Gulf News after winning the Singapore Open on Sunday.
    Coming on the heels of her triumph in the Indian Open Grand Prix, the singleminded Nehwal continued on her hot streak in Singapore — scalping world champion Lu Lan of China in the semifinal before beating qualifier Tzu Ying Tai of Chinese Taipei for the title.
    The Indonesian Open, which starts today, is her next target.
    Remarkable progress
    Earlier in March, the spunky Nehwal had achieved her highest ranking of number five before slipping a spot — but she said she didn't want to get bogged down too much by the business of rankings.
    "My goal has been to always work harder and do better … I did not ever bother much about the rankings," she said.
    Nehwal's progress has been remarkable since the sportswoman captured the imagination of the Indians by becoming the first Indian woman to make the quarter finals of Olympics in 2008.
    This year has seen Nehwal ride the crest of a wave, starting with being chosen as the NDTV Indian Sportsperson of the Year ahead of the likes of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Viswanathan Anand and Leander Paes.
    "Yes, it's been one of my best years on the circuit but I think my best is yet to come," Nehwal replied.
    Her answers in interview revealed her personality: simple, no-nonsense and focused.
    International title
    Nehwal said it has been the improvement in her fitness which had made the difference to her campaigns this year.
    Looking back, she said: "Firstly, I was quite relieved to win an international title at home but I want to win more such titles."
    "In Singapore, I beat Lu in the semifinals and hence I have now beaten her twice within a year. It is a morale booster and should help me," Nehwal said.
    As someone who takes enormous pride in representing her country, Nehwal said she was keenly looking forward to the multi-discipline events this year — the Commonwealth Games and then the Asian Games.
    "I want to do better in the coming events," she said.
    There is no doubt that Nehwal is the most happening sportswoman of her country at the moment — notwithstanding the return of Sania Mirza on the circuit.
    However, she indicated that she wanted to wear that status lightly: "I feel elated and proud at all the love and affection of the people".
    "However, I don't see myself as an icon but only a badminton player of India," she said.
    Factfile

• Place of birth: Hisar, Haryana, India
    • Height: 5ft 5in (1.65 metres)
    • Weight: 60kg (130 lb)
    • Handedness: Right
    • Coach: Pullela Gopichand
    • Women's singles:
    • Highest ranking: 5
    • Current ranking: 6
    Do you think Saina is the most happening female sports star in India right now? Can she make it to the number one spot this season?

20. SibugiChai

YAB
    My best is yet to come - Saina Nehwal

World's sixth-ranked badminton player attributes her rapid rise to fitness

• By Gautam Bhattacharyya, Deputy Sports Editor
    • Published: 00:00 June 23, 2010
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Saina Nehwal of India returns to Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan during the women’s singles final at the Singapore Open Badminton Super Series last Sunday. Nehwal won the match 21-18, 21-15.
    • Image Credit: AP

Dubai: She may have just won two back-to-back titles, one of them the second Super Series title of her career, but Saina Nehwal is not the kind of sportswoman who rests on her laurels.
    Currently ranked number six in the world, the 20-year-old is now poised for a leap at the top spot — but refuses to put a date to it.
    "Yes, that's my goal and I want to give my 100 per cent towards it," Nehwal told Gulf News after winning the Singapore Open on Sunday.
    Coming on the heels of her triumph in the Indian Open Grand Prix, the singleminded Nehwal continued on her hot streak in Singapore — scalping world champion Lu Lan of China in the semifinal before beating qualifier Tzu Ying Tai of Chinese Taipei for the title.
    The Indonesian Open, which starts today, is her next target.
    Remarkable progress
    Earlier in March, the spunky Nehwal had achieved her highest ranking of number five before slipping a spot — but she said she didn't want to get bogged down too much by the business of rankings.
    "My goal has been to always work harder and do better … I did not ever bother much about the rankings," she said.
    Nehwal's progress has been remarkable since the sportswoman captured the imagination of the Indians by becoming the first Indian woman to make the quarter finals of Olympics in 2008.
    This year has seen Nehwal ride the crest of a wave, starting with being chosen as the NDTV Indian Sportsperson of the Year ahead of the likes of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Viswanathan Anand and Leander Paes.
    "Yes, it's been one of my best years on the circuit but I think my best is yet to come," Nehwal replied.
    Her answers in interview revealed her personality: simple, no-nonsense and focused.
    International title
    Nehwal said it has been the improvement in her fitness which had made the difference to her campaigns this year.
    Looking back, she said: "Firstly, I was quite relieved to win an international title at home but I want to win more such titles."
    "In Singapore, I beat Lu in the semifinals and hence I have now beaten her twice within a year. It is a morale booster and should help me," Nehwal said.
    As someone who takes enormous pride in representing her country, Nehwal said she was keenly looking forward to the multi-discipline events this year — the Commonwealth Games and then the Asian Games.
    "I want to do better in the coming events," she said.
    There is no doubt that Nehwal is the most happening sportswoman of her country at the moment — notwithstanding the return of Sania Mirza on the circuit.
    However, she indicated that she wanted to wear that status lightly: "I feel elated and proud at all the love and affection of the people".
    "However, I don't see myself as an icon but only a badminton player of India," she said.
    Factfile

• Place of birth: Hisar, Haryana, India
    • Height: 5ft 5in (1.65 metres)
    • Weight: 60kg (130 lb)
    • Handedness: Right
    • Coach: Pullela Gopichand
    • Women's singles:
    • Highest ranking: 5
    • Current ranking: 6
    Do you think Saina is the most happening female sports star in India right now? Can she make it to the number one spot this season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.