Who will be the MAS No.2 Mens Singles player in 2011?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Feb 10, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Zulfadli’s feat shows he can be an able replacement for Lee Chong Wei

At the AJC11, Zulfadli did just that; and won the Boys Singles title. :):):)

And now, some have said that Zulfadli can be an able replacement for Lee Chong Wei.

Zulfadli’s feat shows he can be an able replacement for Chong Wei
    By RAJES PAUL
    Monday July 11, 2011

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/7/11/sports/9076365&sec=sports

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

KUALA LUMPUR: Three points were made clear when youngster Zulfadli Zulkifli accomplished the historic feat of becoming Malaysia’s first boy’s singles badminton champion at the Asian Junior Championships in Lucknow, India on Sunday.

Firstly, his breakthrough showed that there are talents in Malaysia to take over the mantle from world No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei, who plans to slow down after the London Olympic Games next year.

Yesterday, the 18-year-old Zulfadli raised a glimmer of hope for a better future in the singles department when he beat India’s Verma Sameer 21-15, 21-17 to end Malaysia’s agonising 14-year wait for the elusive title.

He has put himself as one of the strong contenders to become the country’s first singles champion at the World Junior Championships, which will be held in Taiwan in October.

China’s current stars like Lin Dan, Chen Jin, Chen Long and South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan all went on to have successful senior careers after winning the Asian junior title and hopes are high for Zulfadli to follow suit.

With proper guidance and grooming Zulfadli can be Malaysia’s flag bearer in all major tournaments leading to the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil .

“This is a great start for me. I hope to achieve more good results. I still have a long way to go but I am determined to work hard in my mission to become the country’s top player” said Zulfadli.

Secondly, Zulfadli’s win is also seen as a big boost for independent shuttlers and clubs. Clubs and private badminton academies will now be more motivated to continue with their efforts to produce champions to complement the work done by the Bad*min*ton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

The lanky Zulfadli’s win is unique in a way because he did not come through the BAM’s centralised training system. In fact, he benefited mainly from his father Zulkifli Sidek’s personal coaching and also due to some short stints with state teams. He was also lucky that KL Rackets (KLRC) funded him for local and international tournaments.

His breakthrough certainly gives hope to those aspiring shuttlers who had failed to make the yearly selection into the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS), where the BAM’s best juniors are housed.

Finally, Zulfadli’s achievement in India has in a way raised concern over the junior programme in BAM – especially in the singles department.

He has been successful when many other BAM shuttlers had failed. Over the last few years, three shuttlers – Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin and Loh Wei Sheng froze in their respective final appearances and settled for the runner-up spots in the Asian junior meet.

The success of an outsider surely raises many questions on what has been happening inside BJSS.

Do they have the right coaches to groom the singles players? Are the right singles players selected into the BJSS? Are the international exposures enough for the juniors in BJSS to toughen them up mentally? What gets priority in BJSS – studies or sports?

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think that BAM might feel a little embarrassed at the fact that their best hope is a player, who isn't in there sports school, obviously something is going wrong somewhere if this is the case. There is obviously a problem somewhere cause apart from LCW there isn't really anyone who is young and able to stand up to the top 20. Take nothing away from ZZ and his father, obviously they are doing the right things. (maybe BJSS should recruit ZZ father as coach go share the secrets ?:p)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I don't think that BAM might feel a little embarrassed

IMHO, BAM shouldn't feel embarrassed. BAM is there for any player requiring help/assistance.

If a player can do it on his/her own with independent sponsors and independent coaches (without BAM), then most tax-paying Malaysians should find this a better option. :):):)

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

what i meant was that BJSS should be embarassed that their program isnt atm able to produce players capable of succeeding LCW and instead its a independent player, not involved with BJSS that is their best chance. Anyway if the taxpayer isnt funding ZZ then they are funding players that havent won anything major before, and will end up outside the top 30 in the world at best.

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    True, they shouldn't feel embarrassed but are they?

Despite many persuasion by NCC to join BAM, zz still has not make any decision.

It would be interesting to find out why :D.

#165 pBmMalaysia, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Allow me to play Badminton, and not be involved in politics

I believe that Zulfadli Zulkifli has already made up his mind. :):):)

I sense that Zulfadli Zulkifli is thinking; "Allow me to play Badminton, and not be involved in politics".

:):):)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Wong Choong Hann is back as MAS Mens Singles No.2 at the 2011 World Championships

Dunlop-sponsored Wong Choong Hann, who outdid all the Malaysian youngsters to qualify for his eighth world championships, has a tricky first round opener against Taiwan’s Hsieh Yu-hsing. If he wins, he may take on Boonsak.

Ironically, Wong Choong Hann is Malaysia’s best men singles performer in the world series when he won a silver medal at the 2003 world meet in Birmingham after going down fighting to Xia Xuanze of China.

2011 World Championships Mens Singles Draw;

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=E563A742-DF5A-44B0-8253-B53004FAEB4D&draw=1

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Semi finals not impossible if he goes crazy. ;)

9. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Provided that all his opponent goes crazy also:D

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    then everyone will crazy as well
    lol

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Beating Boonsak, NTM and PG in a row? :p:p He's not LCW lah!

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    for this I leave it to him if he wants to get crazzzyyy... ;)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Wong Choong Hann's Head-to-Head records against BP, NTM & PG

Wong Choong Hann's Head-to-Head records;

* Against Boonsak Ponsana......3-3 (WCH has equal successes)
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/r...-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&t1p1=50152&t2p1=63707

* Against Nguyen Tien Minh......1-2 (WCH is 1 behind)
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/r...-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&t1p1=50152&t2p1=63707

* Against Peter Gade................6-8 (WCH is 2 behind)

14. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

WCH is only two games down against PG.. thats surprising...

15. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Hope he can become super-duper crazy and win the title for mas.:p

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Players' H-2-H records/results

Just realised that the links that I have posted were not showing the players' H-2-H records/results. :eek::eek::eek:

Just fill in their names to find out.

Yes, against Peter Gade (6-8), Wong Choong Hann is 2 matches behind. ;););)

#176 chris-ccc, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i haven't read the entire thread (11 pages!) but simply reading the title of this thread just perked this question : whoever the player is, will he even make an impact in the MS dept.?

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Simple answer: No.

Not in year 2011, as we have witnessed (after half a year has passed).