Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Rankings released on Thursday 23-Feb-2012

It has been 3 months' ago since I last updated the rankings.

Let's have a look at it again (based on the rankings released on Thursday 23-Feb-2012). The Top 5 positions remaining unchanged.

Source: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........98249 points (10 out of 16 tournaments)
    2. Lin Dan (CHN)..................91576 points (10 out of 16 tournaments)
    3. Chen Long (CHN)..............85913 points (10 out of 17 tournaments)
    4. Peter Gade (DEN).............73863 points (10 out of 15 tournaments)
    5. Chen Jin (CHN).................71028 points (10 out of 19 tournaments)

Chen Jin is working very hard - with 19 tournaments played (trying to overtake Peter Gade).

#1021 chris-ccc, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Rankings released on Thursday 15-Mar-2012

Today, Saturday 17-Mar-2012, we are 132 days away from the London Summer Olympic Games.

Last Sunday, 11-Mar-2012, Lee Chong Wei retired at the All England Finals, giving the championship title to Lin Dan.

Lee Chong Wei has shoulder injury and will be skipping his next tournament, the Swiss Open, which is playing now (as I type).

Let's have a look at the rankings released on Thursday 15-Mar-2012. The Top 5 positions have remained unchanged.

Source: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........96599 points (10 out of 16 tournaments)
    2. Lin Dan (CHN)..................93226 points (10 out of 16 tournaments)
    3. Chen Long (CHN)..............84633 points (10 out of 17 tournaments)
    4. Peter Gade (DEN).............73863 points (10 out of 15 tournaments)
    5. Chen Jin (CHN).................70118 points (10 out of 19 tournaments)

Chen Jin, with 19 tournaments played, is still working very hard to overtake Peter Gade.

3. Joven

Joven Regular Member

Holiday Consultant
    I thought as of now Lin Dan is the no. 1 badminton player today because he defeated lee chong wei last 2011 right?

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    So whoever beats LD, he will be no. 1. Am I right?

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

not necessary, to be the No.1, he'll gonna beat the No.2 and onwards...

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

For some reason i didn't see Lee Chong Wei's own thread now?
    Edited: it's in the chit chat section...

#1026 george@chongwei, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. Holy Banana

Holy Banana Regular Member

well chong wei aim is on the olympic medal and the world championships so wouldnt mind if he lose the world no 1 status

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Chong Wei will recover in time, says coach Seu Bock

True... LCW is missing at the 2012 Badminton Asia Championships this week;
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=6827E1D2-DD7D-451F-BE52-EA4FA37FFAF5&draw=1

However, LCW will participate in next week's 2012 India Open SS.

Today, Friday 20-Apr-2012, thestar released this news;

Chong Wei will recover in time, says coach Seu Bock

PETALING JAYA: National singles coach Tey Seu Bock believes world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei will recover from his latest setback in time to compete in the India Open in New Delhi next week.

Chong Wei came down with high fever on Tuesday after training and missed Wednesday’s workout. He did some light exercise yesterday and is expected to return to full training today.

Seu Bock believes that making a strong return to competitive action following the illness is the main priority now as Chong Wei has not seen action since injuring his shoulder in the All England last month.

“The past two weeks have been spent on intense training sessions and, as Chong Wei is not that young anymore, the recovery period can be a little slow,” said Seu Bock.

“It was unfortunate that he came down with fever after Tuesday’s session but he’s better now ande will be back in training tomorrow.

“My main concern is whether he can make a winning return in India next week following his recovery from the shoulder injury.

“I’m hoping that he’ll be fine, What’s important is that he doesn’t have any phobia regarding his injury and just play his usual game.

“Even if he doesn’t win, it’ll be fine because we’re looking to monitor his progress and see if he needs any adjustment to his game,” said Seu Bock.

Chong Wei, the top seed for the India Open, is expected to have an easy run to the final barring any upsets.

He faces Taiwan’s Hsueh Hsuan Yi in the first round and a win should pit him against either India’s Ajay Jayaram or England’s Rajiv Ouseph.

Also in his half of the draw are Indonesians Simon Santoso and Taufik Hidayat and Japanese dangerman Sho Sasaki while Danish veteran Peter Gade is seeded second in the absence of top Chinese Lin Dan and Chen Long.

Seu Bock declined to comment on Chong Wei’s failure to attend the National Sports Awards on Tuesday night which drew flak from several quarters, including National Sports Council (NSC) director-general Datuk Zolkples Embong.

Chong Wei won the National Sportsman Award but was represented by his brother, Lee Chong Hoon, at the event. Chong Wei cited being down with fever for his absence.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/4/20/sports/11141623&sec=sports

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We have come to the end of this thread

So... We have arrived at the end of this thread.

Lee Chong Wei will remain as World No.1 for the 2012 OG, and will be seeded as Mens Singles No.1.

Come this Thursday (03-May-2012), I shall post the BWF Ranking List, giving the seedings of our Badminton Olympians for the Year 2012.

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

The thread title says until OG 2012.
    Still got 3 months to go yet

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

You are correct.

I was thinking of LCW as the No.1 seed at the 2012 OG.

But LCW could be dropped from World No.1 (although Seeded as No.1) when the OG commences.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lee wants to be left alone so he can focus on winning gold at the London Games

I couldn't believe it when I read this article;
    http://www.todayonline.com/Sports/EDC120509-0000037/Lees-Olympic-bubble

Bodyguards protect world No 1 shuttler who admits injury phobia in lead-up to London

by Dan Guen Chin
    04:45 AM May 09, 2012

SINGAPORE - The pursuit to win his country's first ever Olympic badminton gold medal has left Malaysian star Lee Chong Wei in a virtual cocoon.

Since February, the world No 1's every waking moment has been accompanied by two bodyguards selected from the best of the Malaysian Police Special Forces wherever he goes, a move by the Home Ministry to protect him from unwanted attention.

Lee picked up his 43rd career win with a 3-0 victory over Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro at the recent Malaysian Grand Prix Gold tournament in Johor Bahru.

However, fans, well-wishers and even the media have been told to keep their distance.

Even though there are still 79 days to the London Olympics, Lee doesn't mind being confined in this bubble as he told Today that bettering his silver medal finish at the Beijing Games four years ago will be even harder this time.

"The Chinese are all out to beat me. They have got Chen Jin, Chen Long and of course Lin Dan, all seeded in the top three bracket, to deny me the title," said Lee.

"That is why I need to prepare well for the Olympics, without the interruption and all the unwanted attention. I need to be left alone sometimes to stay focused on the mission ahead."

The London Games will be held from July 27 to Aug 12, with the badminton competition scheduled for July 28 to Aug 5 at the Wembley Arena, where Lee lost 2-1 to Lin in the final of last year's World Championships.

With pressure mounting on him to deliver Olympic gold this time, the Malaysian badminton authorities decided it was best that Lee be left alone and not be harassed by the constant demand for his attention.

But having sustained an injury to his right shoulder which forced him to concede his quarter-final clash with Lin at the All-England Championships in March, Lee is well aware that things can still go wrong, and at 29, the demands will start to take their toll on him.

"I am still on treatment for the shoulder injury but mentally I feel a lot better now, especially after the win over Sony," Lee said.

"I have this phobia about the injury coming back to haunt me after I made my return to competition at the Indian Open two weeks ago, following a one-month rest.

"But things look OK now. I am brave enough to execute a full-blooded smash and take chances with whatever shots needed."

Lee will have two other heavyweight events to contend with in the Thomas Cup, to be held in Wuhan, China later this month and the Indonesian Open in July before the London Olympics.

Despite the immense pressure on him to deliver on all three fronts, Lee is keeping calm. He said: "The Thomas Cup is important for Malaysia, but so is the Olympics.

"I am also the defending champion in the Indonesian Open Premier series. So the next three tournaments are important to me but I am not going to think too much into it".

[​IMG]

Lee wants to be left alone so he can focus on winning gold at the London Games. GETTY IMAGES

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

After this week’s TC there will be around 500 points between LCW and LD.

Assuming LD to win the Thailand GPG next week LD will overtake LCW as World No 1 by less than 100 points.

Unless LCW going to the INA SSP and win it there, which is unlikely consider his recent injury LD will stay at World No 1 going to the London Olympics even if LCW take part in the Singapore Open and win it.

What a turn up for the books!

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Just noticed that LCW is not going to Singapore.
    Oh well, better enjoy his last few days as No 1

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    wow.. interesting turn in points. If I am lyb, I want CL to play LCW in semis. Coz, CL got a good chance to beat him or make him tired. ;)

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

no, that wouldn't affect the seeding for the Olympics.
    Seeding are based on the 3/5/2012 list.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope you are wrong because if LCW loses his WR1 ranking many fans will be disappointed, including the thread starter, especially when The dato is unlikely to win the Olympic gold medal even if he manages to recover in time.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If LCW participates at the 2012 OG, I am afraid it doesn't make any sense

IMHO, it's the right time for LCW to retire now. I posted in another thread, this post;

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

since LCW didn't entered the Singapore Open LD can skip the Thailand Open and he will still be World No 1 the week after the INA open and right up to the London Olympics.

20. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    You guys still talk about lcw Olympic dreams?

For an injury like that with his level of training plus those tough opponents?

It's a sad thing to say its over.

Stem cell no stem cell,

the preparation period is just too short for him.

Having say that I really feel sorry for him.