Why do you need a new racquet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Chu Pa, May 1, 2002.

?

Why do you need a new racquet?

1. Broke your current racquet

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Just wanted to get the latest cool racquet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Add to your collection of racquets

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. It's a classic, I must have it!!!!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Need a back-up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Impulse buy!!!!!!!!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. The racquet was made for me so I must have another just in case I break my first

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Curious to try a racquet everyone was talking about

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A little of everything mentioned

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

very interesting... i would love to hear from the "scientists" who might have an explanation to the two theories?

i myself am on the fence about which way to lean towards. i am also a member of a bicycle forum and people on that forum mentioned that a carbon bike usually only last up to 5 years...which is scary for me since i can't afford to buy a carbon bike every 15years, let alone 5! the same goes with aluminum bikes but the durability is much longer than just 5yrs.

at the same time i have personal experience with my rackets that they don't really degrade to the extend that i actually notice one is more worn than another, even when i do play with one a lot more often than the exact same copy of a particular model.

it seems like both of you made very plausible theories.....

#361 gundamzaku, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    As I said above, if the rackets are designed around the worn in stage as optimum performance as oppose to the brand new and still uncompressed stage, I don't think there'd be issues at all. I mean, there are cars, bikes, parts and other important equipment made from carbon fibre, weave and similar materials, so the compression and flex change limit cannot be as dramatic or affecting as certain product manufacturers lead on. Hell, certain vehicles that use parts made from similar materials are stress tested to absurd temperatures and levels, and I'd hope these rackets are too. Otherwise we'd have law suits left and right. Imagine a biker riding down a motorway and his bike falling apart because it was 5 years old. No chance manufacturers would risk it. Like I said, the material will just have a compression threshold unless seriously or uncharacteristically abused.

Remember, money talks. Businesses thrive on feeding the notion you constantly need the new, when the reality is often quite different.

#362 Naim.F.C, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  3. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I asked a colleague of mine who used to compete at a high level and he would change his bicycle after an average amount of kilometers (which I do not remember). He confirmed me that he could feel the flex in his carbon bike and had to change it every 2-3 years.

4. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Either he's bought in to placebo or he rides so hard that he's cracked or damaged the frame.

There's an excellent thread about the life span of carbon fibre here.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/1356/road-bike-carbon-fiber-frame-life-span

Some choice findings from the different studies.

"For carbon forks in general, there should not be any limited life span, as carbon composites themselves are not subject to fatigue failures as metals are. So the fatigue life of a properly made carbon composite is 'infinite'."

" There is no limitation because carbon has a natural flexibility. It can be used a hundred years while maintaining the same stiffness."

" The good news is the fatigue life of carbon fiber is immensely more than that of metals. While the writer expresses concern about his carbon fork lasting as long as a metal component, there is nothing to worry about in terms of fatigue life on a composite fork."

Sounds like more marketing misinformation has been regurgitated imo. Happens in every single hobby. Audiophiles will know this too well, as will videophiles and the like. The entire industry revolves around marketing misinformation, to feed in to curiosity, doubt etc. I should know... I'm in it by trade lol.

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    8-10k per bike at 2-3yrs per bike, that is some hobby, or he's a semi pro?

6. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I guess you could say that he used to be a semi pro. He did many races (if it is how it's called) In Canada and the US. Now it's only a hobby for him (getting old... nearing 40 :p).

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

A guy was whacking on one night that his NS9900 had become too flexible for him(just under 2 year old). He hits hard! I natuarally assumed he was talking rubbish so I asked to have a look. He had 2 other spare NS9900 and I had a VT80 in my hands well used heavily by me (rated stiff, NS9900 extra stiff). I felt it, hit with it and can confirm the flex on the shaft had become far greater than the other 3 rackets I mentioned.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Yep, that's how I felt with my previous MX70 rackets and now my XP70 rackets. The favourite spec ones that I play often with feel slightly flexier on bending and hitting. Maybe not noticeable to those players who're used to flexier rackets but for someone used to stiff rackets, it's there.

9. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I still using N90 1st generation , just recently bought MX90, as its very popular in forum , buy to try it out ...

10. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The final carbon fibre that we are referring to is made up for layers of carbon fibre sheet bonded by resin. The actual carbon fibre may have "infinite" fatigue life compared to metal but I think the resin is subjected to degradation.

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Has anyone mentioned this reason for needing a new racket?

To add to the repetoire of excuses for my horrible, never-improving play: "I am just getting used to this new racket/string/grip/shoe/shoelace/glass eye/daylight savings time/ etc...."

12. Deity

Deity Regular Member

LMFAOOO daylight savings time had me dying LOL its gonna be my new excuse now

13. gundamzaku

working professional

i'll take glass eye!!!! tho my partner would agree that sometimes my shots are so off that i might as well play with glass eyes!!!

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Hasn't anyone heard that pros like us can get used to a new racket within 5 minutes, if that?

So nah, can't use the new racket excuse... :p

15. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

i now have more than 28 rackets and counting on (2-3 more coming this month, i guess i could've bought a motorbike if sell all the rackets:confused:), and still can't figure the exact reason as of why! Try new ones, if doesn't like it, put it in the "coffin" under the bed, then back to the old ones! If like it, then put on the "adventure" bag, but still during the game, stick to the old ones for safe point until the string broke.

16. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I just got the Gosen Ryoga series (minus the Ougi).... planning to get the Yonex Legends collection (VT80 PG / ARC 11TH / upcoming VTZF 2 LCW). So I can say that I am a collector :D

17. rick_supernova

rick_supernova Regular Member

IT Engineer
    i need a back up for the reason i buy a racket. hehehe

18. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I've been to Malaysia and a few of the badminton shops there and the prices are sky high. I remember seeing a N90 for like 1300RM. At the time that would have been over $400CAD. Yonex new high end were 600RM+. I don't know how you guys in Malaysia do it lol since a lot of you seem to be buying in store and not online.

Anyway enjoy those rackets.

I buy rackets to try them out and see if they're good for me. So far the best racket for me is the AT900T. I'm still on the look out for my perfect racket, but AT900T is pretty damn close.

#378 phaaam, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=43065]phaaam[/MENTION]
    Isn't VT70 similar to AT900T?

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

WAY softer...