Weight training and first day back to badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Sep 13, 2002.

?

Do you strength/weight/cardio train?

1. Yes, regularly

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yes, occasionally

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, I don't need to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I don't have the time/willpower/whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Vining, do you recommend the Bowflex? A friend told me to use free weight whenever possible.

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I train pretty much exclusively with free weights, with some cable work for triceps and lat pulldowns.

I don't like bowflex at all, I find the resistance system to be uneven/jerky. No one I know big into weight training has one - I will give that they are convenient for space.

For badminton I'd suggest hammer strength - free weights are very good, but you can tighten up in ahurry. I found with hammer strength, I work as hard, but don't get the same stiffness becasue the hammer strength equipment provides a measure of stability.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I am a total newbie to free weight. Do you recommend a trainer? Or can I get away with just reading books borrowed from the library?

Is hammer strength the name of machines with independent legs and hands movement and uses weight plates?

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    am not into bodybuilding training but my gut feel says free weight is the way to go. KISS rules.

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Get a trainer, Pete. There's too much things that's going on. Books can be for reference, but not learning fresh.

-dave

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, I should get a trainer :D . Just did a google search and came up with www.hammerstrength.com I just remember that I used these type of mahcines back in the good old days of university :rolleyes: - the workout came very close to free weight.

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

What are your experiences with pullovers or straight arm pull-downs? When I first started working out, I really liked using the Nautilus super pullover machine. For the past few years, I've been working out of another gym without such a machine, so I didn't to that type of exercise for a while.

However, I saw a featurette on tv about some pro tennis players fitness programs which had them, and I can see how such exercises may transfer well to the conventional overhead stroke. Both involve moving the arm through a wide arc with the arm fairly extended. Unlike lat-pulldowns, the elbow position is static (with an isometric tricep contraction) rather than bending during the pulling down of the arms, which is more similar to a badminton stroke. The core is also involved in the maintenance of stability because of the constantly changing angle of resistance. Also, performing pullovers on a weight bench allow for the possibility of adapting the strength exercise into a power exercise using medicine balls.

What do you think?

8. lou_tennant

lou_tennant Regular Member

Core strength is very important, just because you work your Abs don't forget your upper and lower back and the rest of the body trunk.

In B we encounter a lot of twists, turns and stretching of the trunk. Everything needs to be in balance, and if you injure your trunk (back for example) every other body part will have plenty of time to rest. :)

Speaking from torn ligaments in my lower back during a league match, jumped for a smash, the feathered shuttle was slightly damaged and flew oddly, I twisted to make the shot...... Without my feet pressing on the floor it was all trunk muscle doing the work, my lower back took the brunt of it.

I missed two years match play, it took 12 months to get back on a court and play comfortably. Swimming (non-impact which is excellent), Aerobics, weights and stretching all help me get back in to shape.

9. Squirter

Squirter Regular Member

I've got a few questions. I've heard you shouldn't weight lift until you hit some age, was it 17 I think? Why is that?

I've heard that if you weight train when you're still in your teens (and still growing taller), you'll stop growing. Is that true?

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, you won't stop growing, but your growth may be adversely affected. Weight training may distort the growth plates (cartilage, I believe) between your bones, which will ossify when you finish growing. Until then, they are soft and bendable, and should not be put under heavy load.

Body weight resistance training is normally fine, and is sufficient for most training programmes anyway.

11. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

it won't hurt

I lift weight like crazy during summer. but now that the season start, i'm reducing it to 3 times a week. lifting weight improve your strength to some point. I see no problem with muscular badminton player or linebacker built as long as his game is not affected.

as of squat, I don' really do it in fear of injury at the wight I'm able to squat. I do leg press instead. upper body strenght, bench press, shoulder activities, situp; lots of them. back is row, always work the best.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm 6'3'' and weigh 65kg/143,3lbs (16 years old) is that considered a badminton-'body'?

#32 jerby, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  13. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Jerby - if anything you're a little skinny, but given your age, you'll likely put on some mass yet. A former canadian Champion was 6' 4" and he told me his normal playing weight was around 195 lbs.

I've been weight training hard along with running and I'm now back up to about the 205 pound mark. I'm doing a full leg work out twice a week with minor leg work ( mostly hamstrings in between)

I may go up to two days runs or add some basketball to get my weight down/cardio up.

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

me? skinny? :eek: no way!

:D absolutly right...i'm already gaining mass..i was see-thru a year ago...
    no idea what my eventual weight it..i'm just naturally skinny, so god knows...

i can't imagine how badminton would be weighing 30 lbs more..but i can reason it's easier for me to move around..

15. Logic

Logic New Member

Technique

I think having bigger arms and stronger legs may help your game alittle bit.. but i think its mostly technique.. i have a friend that's not big at all.. and he can do clears like nothing! I am still working on my clear as i just picked up Badminton again since high school... i graduated from Cambie in 2001. My clears are so weak :crying: it usually ends up setting up a perfect smash for my opponent.. lol! embarassing.. :eek:

16. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    can someone explain this to me

Wats calf-raise , bench press, and lat pull? can someone explain how to do those ?

17. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    JAS - http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/37On the left hand side of the page is a list of the various areas of the body that goes to a descritption of all the exercises you're looking for

Thry also have pictures and tips how to do each moevment.

18. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    I browsed a little for shoulders, and that one caption caught me, "Turn Your Shoulders Into Boulders" ... that's catchy, but gave me the chuckles!

Good website.

-dave

19. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    I actaully do no shoulder training at all ( like over head presses) - I've found that I lose way to much mobility and flexibility. I can barely hit an over the head to begin with.

20. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    I was looking rotator cuff exercises, to be precise ... I try to exercise my shoulders if I'm not playing for the next two days :D

-dave