can badminton benefit from weight training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thumpsky, Jun 4, 2012.

1. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

That is a lot of info to digest. I find information regarding the horse as refreshing. You learn something new every day.:D

Regarding the workout routine and repetitions, it depends more on body type and genetics as Elisha stated above. I have practiced weights from low reps to high reps. I studied and followed workout routines i took from health magazines. They were not random. I have tried dumb bells, self body weights (pull ups/push ups), wrist extensions, spring grips, grip coil, etc. Every work out routines work for certain people. That was what i concluded from my hits and misses.

Increasing the lifting weights are not good indicators to check muscle loss. Instead of getting ripped, you might end up bulky. This is because you are increasing the weights. This will train more muscles and make it bigger instead.

#41 NeverWalkAlone, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    It is true that muscle development is related to genetic. Some people are easier to develop muscle, & some peoples are not, but it is still possible. If you want to gain muscle, the first thing you have to do is turn your body into calorie surplus. With that said, the amount of calories you burn a day is lesser than the amount of calories taken in your body. Thus excess calories will be converted into muscle and fat. An ample amount of good and clean protein is necessary as well as having enough sleep, as our body develop muscle when we are resting.

In your posts above, i also notice that you feel sluggish after doing workouts and it lasted for a week. Feeling sluggish could be a sign of over training. My suspects are that you either are not having enough sleep, or are not taking sufficient amount of clean & good protein or both. Review your workout routine and listen to your body.

A sign of muscle loss could be inspected when our body could not lift the weights that we previously able to lift, i have stated it in my earlier post.

Increasing our lifting weight could & could not make our self bulky. It depends on our goal thus calories intake. Increasing our lifting weight could not make our self bulky, if our goal is to loss fat while maintaining muscle. Thus, you have to place your body in a calorie deficit status. At this stage, calories that we burn exceed calories supplied in our body, to compensate the deficit our body will dig up its storage, whether converting fat or muscle into calories. Since, we are doing weight lifting our muscle are being stimulated, and by taking an ample amount of protein, our muscle could recover and we are not losing it. On the other hand, we lose our fat, since there are no excess calories to be converted into fat. Additionally, increasing our lifting weight could make our self bulky. Your body have to be in an excess calories stage for you to bulk up. Thus, our body will convert the excess calories into fat and muscle. It is impossible to only convert our excess calories into muscle and not fat as it is body mechanism. Therefore, bodybuilder will be in a bulking mode, when they are not entering any contest, and they will be in a loss fat while maintaining muscle mode, as they need to show their muscle by shredding fats when they have contest to attend.

Hope that helps ;)

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Being skinny does not necessarily mean that you do not have excess fat. You still have excess fat, you still have muscle just that your muscle are not that defined since it is covered by fat. You are of course able to bulk up first and shredding some fat later on. Additionally, you are also able to shred some fat first, until you could see your muscle and decide yourself, if you are satisfied, that's good. If you want to have more muscle, then it is time to bulk up. When a guy losing their fat and not muscle, separation between muscle is visible and more defined in correspond to the decrement in body fat. Your body looks fitter and better, although you are losing weight.

If i were you, i will look into my height and weight, and i will compare it to the height and weight that the player posses. LD, LCW, & CL all have similar pattern on their height and weight which their weight is their height deducted by 110, with exception of LD which is deducted by 108, but it is around that. So, why don't you take your height deducted by 110, and work from there. ;)

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh I see -- you're right, that's quite different.

Not sure why that is happening. One thing to consider: do you stretch after weights, and do you stretch after badminton?

Some types of exercise, including badminton and weight training, can cause muscles to get shorter. This can affect your stability and speed on court. Stretching can help return muscles to their normal length.

5. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

So you are saying that my target weight should be my height minus 110?

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I don't know that theory would work too well. They all seem to be about 40% weight with regards to height. So take your weight in kg and divide this by your height in cm then multiply by 100. much more than 40% your too heavy.

7. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Yh, what I did was multiply my height by 40% to get a weight that I should be aiming around. I was thinking I should bulk up until I get to a little over my target weight and then cut, I would like a ripped look.

#47 samir12, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ha ha wouldn't we all.
    Good Luck.

9. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Good to hear it. Don't forget changing your body is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Give your body some time. Please fill your body with a good and clean protein after workout.

Good luck.

10. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Thanks, yh I try to stay away from the fried chicken :p

11. Chandra Phuyal

Chandra Phuyal New Member

Student
    Yes, weight traning is muchmore benifit for the badminton because it helps to balance our body at the time of tournament also give confidence to win the game. Sothat,weight traning is muchmore benifit for the badminton players.

12. lucius

lucius Regular Member

Assistant
    Build muscle with cardio exercise , and badminton practice , it benefits. Build muscle without cardio , then you might bulk up and have a muscular look body , but doesnt benefits to badminton. Also , dont try HIIT , science will proof that it can destory your breathing systems soon. Maybe you can check out how bruce lee's training routine for a reference.

#52 lucius, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

I stumbled upon an article on the internet last month. It was a dance fitness article. The article stated that i need to lift heavier instead of lighter weights to perform better. Heavy to moderate weights will require muscle to work and stimulate more to adapt with the loads. Light weights will require muscle to adapt less since we can already cope with the loads. Muscle will only have more endurance, not strength. Yet badminton moves are explosives. I doubt that strokes will improve with muscle endurance alone.

I followed the article and it works for me. I feel that i can now translate the weight training benefits from gym to court. We really need weights training to perform better in badminton. I feel that wrist and back pain are gradually reduced after resuming weights training. It feels good that i can do both exercises that i enjoyed simultaneously and not impair performance one over the other.

14. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

A few months back I trained on my forearms. The next badminton session toke me about 10-20 mins of rallies to adjust my brain to my swing speed, as I was essentially moving faster than my brain told my arm to.

I will agree that certain weight lifting exercises can help a badminton player (I.E. Forearms, triceps, shoulders and back). This will help strengthen and increase power of the shots like smashing and back hands (assuming you are constantly using proper technique). Building muscles in unnecessary places will add extra weight that your legs will have to carry.

15. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    it helps me maintain my normal weight

I do admit it help me a lot to maintain my normal weight. Playing badminton keeps me in good shape and discipline myself. I lose weight but Im more on endurance, improving myself in playing, make friends and enjoy on what Im doing. Making you smile a lot also helps you make young, feel young and lose more weight.

16. nahmed003472

nahmed003472 Regular Member

In the 1940/50s attitudes towards weight training for athletes were bleak people used to think weight training was only for weightlifters. If you lifted weights back then you wouldnt get picked for the track team or gymnastics team. Today in 21century its the other way round and as a result the vast majority of elite athletes even the women do some type of weight resistant training. For badminton specific weight training a lot of shoulder and leg exercises would be a good idea.