Misbun determined to get Chong Wei back on his feet

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Tuesday August 21, 2007

Misbun determined to get Chong Wei back on his feet
    By RAJES PAUL
    thestar online

PETALING JAYA: Coach Misbun Sidek saw all his efforts go down the drain with Lee Chong Wei’s awful exit from the World Championships at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil last week. But he is determined to get the national number one back on his feet.

Misbun admitted that Chong Wei had been emotional after the 11-21, 9-21 defeat by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro but he knew the way to handle the player.

After the defeat in the third round, Chong Wei made a shocking revelation, claiming that national chief coach Yap Kim Hock had put pressure on him in his bid to become the country’s first world champion.

“Chong Wei was crying in the changing room after the defeat. He was pouring out his disappointment. I tried my best to calm him. But this is not the first time that I have seen his outburst,” said Misbun.
    Misbun recalled a time when Chong Wei threw his racquet in frustration when he was reprimanded for his lack of enthusiasm in training. Chong Wei was then placed under his charge after the departure of Indonesian coach Indra Gunawan in 2002.

“He was ranked 137th in the world. The racquet is a weapon for players and he showed disrespect. I told him not to come for training for the next two weeks. He returned after that with renewed determination and he did well from then on,” he said.
    “He also cried after losing to Chen Hong (of China) in the 2004 Athens Olympics. Chong Wei’s outbursts are rare but when it happens, it is usually triggered by something very disturbing in his heart.

“I am not defending Chong Wei or blaming him. I am like a father to him. All champions have different characteristics. He is a superior player but, like many others, Chong Wei is different too. And there is a way to tackle this.”
    Misbun added that he was saddened by the problem between Chong Wei and Kim Hock.

“It is regrettable that this had happened. But I hope that Chong Wei will get rid of this problem before resuming training for the India Open (Sept 4-9),” he said.
    “My job is to give my best in training the players and I hope my players will be focused only on one thing – doing well in international tournaments.”
    Misbun said that his frustration in the World Championships was the players’ failure to justify the hard work that he had put in to get them ready for the challenges. Besides Chong Wei, another of his player, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, was also beaten in the third round – by India’s Anup Sridhar.
    “The players were very obedient in training. They showed up early and were very enthusiastic. In fact, there were good results before the World Championships,” he said.

“But what happens on court is sometimes beyond my control. I feel like my time and efforts have been dumped into a rubbish bin.
    “I know that as a coach, there are other human and outside factors that I have to deal with. For instance, Hafiz had fever and vomited prior to his second-round match (against Ireland’s Scott Evans). I told him to withdraw but he insisted on playing. It showed his determination and he went through.”

In an effort to have a bigger pool of players in the elite squad, Misbun challenged the men’s singles back-up shuttlers to make drastic progress.
    “In the World Championships, Taufik (Hidayat) lost but another Indonesian (Sony) was there to keep the challenge going. China were not depending on only one player. Our second echelon of players are slow in progress compared to those from other countries,” said Misbun.
    “Our back-up players – both from Rashid’s (Sidek) group and mine – are coping well with the intensity of the full-time training but they are not mature in their game to challenge the big guns. This is one area that we have to give greater concentration.”
    Misbun said that some back-up players – Tan Chun Seang, Beryno Wong, Chan Kwong Beng, Chong Wei Feng, Lim Kenn and Liew Daren – had been prominent and hoped that they would learn from their seniors’ mistakes in their bids to become top players in the country.

2. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Nothing new, samo...samo....comments after each defeat...not looking forward for any change at all.

3. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    hahaha...as usual la...makes no difference:D

4. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Well the English language just limits him to tell you what's going on..I wonder if badminton players are being paid more will they be more determine to do so??

5. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    you give them chicken wing, they want drumstick...
    after giving them drumstick, they want the whole chicken:D

6. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy

Good point there...it really that a determined heart to be the best i suppose..

7. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    try to look at it in a positive way.
    fans said the same thing when LCW came back to misbun.we criticise.
    When he shows some improvement we said he did a really good choice.we gave misbun and LCW complements.
    now,he lost.and once again.....
    so,what do u think??is it fair for us to blame them now?

THEbaschti and Blurry D like this.
  8. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    A rep for you.....

9. indra

indra Regular Member

To Misbun:

Indonesia welcomes you too ...the door is wide open for you too....
    Believe me it is nice to coach in Indonesia :D

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Indra,

You've already got two great MS coaches in Hendrawan and Mulyo ..... :D

11. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

Agree. Not a player could win all the time. Those fans just want to cheer for the winner. If they don't like LCW or Misbun, Why won't they turn to support LD or Sony? If they do and I am sure they will start to bash again if LD or Sony lose!!!

12. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

i prefer them to have improvement quietly in action i/o giving long comments but doing nothing. i have confidence on Misbun/LCW teamwork. it's a MUST for Misbun as a guidance for childish LCW.

13. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    how old is LCW?

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

25? Problem is he's treated like he's 15.The guy's trying to assert himself without much success. MAS coaches need some sessions with some shrinks speedily. Otherwise their charges may continue to be victims of what I would call 'coach anxiety transfer'.( It's like how some kids have problems because of 'parent anxiety transfer'. When the parents are treated successfully, their kids' problems evaporated inexplicably)

15. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    stop bribing our coaches! misbun loyal to malaysia :D :D

16. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    like i said: we seem to have a love hate relationship with Misbun. Anything wrong, his fault... I have no idea why...

17. indra

indra Regular Member

I just don't have the heart to see Misbun and LCW being blamed by Malaysian fans...:D

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    3 words,crystal clear one.

IN YOUR DREAMS.o.k

misbun dont have any reason to go to indo.He got everything in Malaysia.absolutely everything.
    if u want him,over my dead body.!!
    im getting too emotional now.Sorry.But i mean it.

19. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Cool Down.. I fink he is just a joker.. Don't bother about it... Anyway i am sure Misbun will not listen to this suggestion rite..

20. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    majority of us love misbun!

you tell him, koo_fan!