Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Khairy launches broadside at BAM after continuous failure

by rajes paul
    [​IMG] Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin speaking to the media after chairing the post-mortem of the Myanmar SEA Games. He wants to meet BAM next week to discuss their future.

BUKIT JALIL: Buck up, BAM!

That is the loud and clear message that Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin is sending to the Badminton Association of Malaysia leadership under Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff.

On Thursday, Khairy voiced his dissatisfaction with the BAM management and players, questioning why a country with a wealth of talents still depended on just one player - world No. 1 men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei.

Khairy believes that the current leadership under Tengku Mahaleel is not addressing the issue head-on.

Concerned over the lack of talents coming through the ranks, Khairy wants to meet up with Tengku Mahaleel and his team next week to discuss the future of badminton.

“Time has been given to the new leadership to make some changes but I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet,” said Khairy.

“I know the new leadership tried to do something different but it is not quite working. I am very worried ... very very worried indeed.

“The players’ performances at the SEA Games has dropped. At the Malaysian Open, most of the players crashed out on the opening day. That is disappointing and (that’s why) I am here (at Putra Stadium) ... I did not plan to be here today.

“We are still depending on our ageing world No. 1 player Chong Wei, who is also my friend. That is not acceptable anymore,” he said.

Khairy listed several areas that he wants BAM to explain and clarify.

“At the management level, I am concerned that the president is holding on to too many responsibilities. I do not see the delegation of work and I am still unclear on the roles of certain committees,” he said.

Currently, Tengku Mahaleel is also the acting Talent Management Group (TMG) director following former international Tan Aik Mong’s decision to quit the post 18 days after he started in Septemter. Tengku Mahaleel is also the coaching and training committee chairman, a post previously held by the national body’s secretary Ng Chin Chai.

There is no national coaching director to hold the team together at the national level.

“Last year, we did not send many players to compete abroad. They need all the exposure if we want to depend on more than one player.

“On development, I feel that the planning by the states is still insufficient. Players are deprived of tournaments at the states. This is one of the few issues that I want to discuss with the leadership.

“I am not blaming this new leadership for the recent drop in performances; I am just expressing my concern. If we take no corrective action, this situation will continue.

“What we have in place right now is not enough. I have confidence that the current leadership can turn things around,” added Khairy.The rap on the knuckles comes just two days before the BAM council meeting, scheduled for Saturday.It will surely be a wake-up call for all the council members.

Khairy is not sleeping, I hope or he is blind.

Khairy said 'Time has been given to the new leadership to make some changes but I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet'...The rot in mismanaging BAM has happened decade/years in the making and today MAS has only 1 world class but aging player to show up. Dah, am I surprised? Blame on those stooges.
    Tengku just inherited the job last year i.e. <1 year.

Khairy said '“I know the new leadership tried to do something different but it is not quite working'...Everyone who is not blind can see BAM needs wholesale changes and it will be a rebuilding process but Tengku cannot even get his plan underway as Khairy's friend LCW got pissed of because Rashid got pissed of, so Khairy's friend dialed the PM's wife and derailed Tengku's plan and habis TAM. So, who's to blame, Khairy...your cry baby friend lah.

Khairy said 'Last year, we did not send many players to compete abroad. They need all the exposure if we want to depend on more than one player'. Why only last year? actually these other players should be sent out as often as Dato, KKK/TBH but because this trio hog the limelight and funding, after the BAM stooges paid themselves, what's left but breadcrumps to feed these other players. LCW and KKK/TBH has been flying all over to gain those experiences and cashing in BAM bonus $$$, so these players cannot fly out to play. So, no fly-play, no exposure lah. Even if these other players compete more last year, it is a crash course for one year does not a player make, as simple as that.

TAM must be a good guy in his past life, the Angel relieves him of this mudslide.

#1883 OneToughBirdie, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    [h=2]A long dry spell ahead if Chong Wei retires[/h]by rajes paul

[​IMG] It seems BAM are no closer to finding the successor to Lee Chong Wei who said he may retire from the game after the Asian Games in October, after winning his 10th Malaysian Open badminton championship on Sunday. - FAIHAN GHANI/ The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: For a decade, world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has feasted Malaysian fans with outstanding badminton results.
    Fans can now expect a dry season for a long time in the men’s singles department if Chong Wei retires because there are neither talents coming through nor an effective programme implemented at the grassroots level.
    On Sunday, Chong Wei defeated Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia in the men’s singles final of the Maybank Malaysian Open to win his 10th home title - a feat that no others have achieved on the international circuit.
    The two closest consistent winners on the international stage were eight-time All England champion Rudy Hartono and the late Wong Peng Soon, who had also won eight home titles.
    It should have been a joyous occasion but a tired Chong Wei revealed that he may retire after the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, if his performance drops this year.
    Before the Asiad, he will compete in the Thomas Cup Finals, Commonwealth Games and World Championships.
    Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) is expected to do all they can to persuade Chong Wei to stay on until at least the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
    They know that if they let him go, their lack of substance at the lower level will be laid bare - officially.
    Chong Wei said that Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng are the next in line to take over but sadly, the duo are battling with injuries and inconsistencies.
    “If I am not around, these two players - Daren and Wei Feng - must step up and the others in line must be given due exposure,” added Chong Wei.
    For now, those ranked lower than them like Goh Soon Huat, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Misbun Ramdan Misbun and Zulfadli Zulkiffli are struggling to find their footing. Their batch mates from abroad like Viktor Axelsen of Denmark, Tian Houwei of China and Kento Momota of Japan have stepped up to the big boys’ league.
    The BAM are coming out with plans to beef up the grassroots plans by reviving the inter-school, inter-state and inter-club competitions.
    This has been tried before and failed to either take root or take off because of poor implementation. Even if it works, it will take probably five to seven years before the nation can see some results.
    While BAM will be scrambling to look into the lack of talents coming through and strengthening the grassroots programme, national coach Tey Seu Bock is remaining focused in getting Chong Wei ready for the remaining challenges for this year.
    “He has slogged for the country for so many years and he is feeling the toll right now. I take my hat off to him for always being the one to deliver the goods for the country,” said Seu Bock.
    “I will accept any decision that Chong Wei makes about his future after the Asian Games but for now, my job is to keep him motivated throughout this year. It is an important year,” added Seu Bock.
    If indeed this is Chong Wei’s last year, the most memorable way to go out will be by becoming the country’s first world champion at the World Championships in Copenhagen in August and the Asian Games gold medallist for the first time.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) is expected to do all they can to persuade Chong Wei to stay on until at least the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro -
    LCW reply: I will let you talk to my businessman brother, his bro's said 'Boleh, we can talk...so let's start with how much funding BAM has for 2015 and then 2016, and let's discuss what portion we want....'

They know that if they let him go, their lack of substance at the lower level will be laid bare - officially.
    What gives? Who's to blame?...not Tengki/TAM, hope not. The 3 oportunistic stooges for running BAM into the ground for over a decade, hope Khairy sees this but I am not sure he is smart to see through though.

Unfortunately, the previous mismanagement has rotted for so darn long that there is no other way other than to go back to the drawing board. First politicians should butt off, including the cry baby WR1 to stop dialing the PM's wife. You play and shut up.
    I heard Morten is being interviewed...anyway whoever got the top job, see how JAP, KOR, CHN, INA operates, have faith in the guy and let him lead (sadly the top job cannot be a Malaysian, too much politics and scared shitless of being fired and butt kissing to protect job security)....PJB, LYB and Rexy run the ship their way and their ship is pointing the right direction, not BAM ship heading towards Titanic.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

i think their management team is already backed up with good suuportive management. I doubt one person can change a whole organisation by oneself. Where would a coach learn such management skills after having spent so much time on court instead of behind a desk?

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I see your point and agree...I mean to hire the right manager/coach and give him/her the power to run the team within a given timeline, politicians/players should not interfere in the transition process. The current management staff (except Tengku) and coaches (IMO except coach TSB) need an overhaul, but they are still there. I see KOR, JAP and INA (CHN of course) have a lot of prospects turning into very good players. MAS despite the huge funding has a 30+ world class player to show and the future is bleak. Even if BAM brings in a PJB or Morten, keeping the same staff would be the same old, same old, Morten or whoever is the top guy, has his hands tied.

9. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Appoint PJB or MF and let them have a free hand otherwise its a waste of
    money and might else well appoint George of the Jungle or Bugs Bunny.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    My 2 cents...

I believe that eventually, BAM's coaching committee and chairmen, directors and managers are like the iceberg:

They only represent 10% of the problem. The other 90% is hidden from the glaring public sight.

It has been mentioned earlier on this thread that a LOT of the really good talent in the country do not make it to BAM or Bukit Jalil or whatever. They never make it past the local and state-level firewalls, for a variety of reasons. Put differently, it appears the merit system is absent in its implementation, or that the selection criteria are not exactly allowing the cream to rise to the top.

If that can change, then some real long-term headway can be said to be made, because it would mean that the right people are handling things at every stage.

Until then, no world-class coach is going to be able to make a significant difference. No matter how hard you rub a piece of coal, it will not transform into a diamond.

11. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    The best juniors are the ones that are champions in their age groups and ultimately
    champions at junior national level as well. These are players that make it to BAM and Bukit
    Jalil and they ultimately do become asian junior champions and world junior champions, so
    the best talents do make it through the system - the problem is, as often said in this forum,
    everything fall flat when they are drafted to the senior team.
    Hence, a PJB or MF with a free hand, will be able to transform gold to diamond.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    NST reported 'BAM has been trying to lure former director of coaching Morten Frost Hansen but the Dane is not keen. However, Frost can be convinced if he is given full authority to manage the national senior and junior teams without interference. His goals must clearly be defined and the contract should run until the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics'.
    Then Stars reported MF 'have just got a new job last month and it will be difficult to think about another move right now,” said Frost, who is here at the Maybank Malaysian Open as a television commentator'.
    So MF is out of the running. BAM acted too late.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    BAM had TAM but didn't cherish him. The reason, everyone knows, because they have one prima donna.

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    NST reported today online news that an offer has been made to MF to become the top guru and he has full authority to run BAM and his contract runs till RIO16. What a twist of events all this happening within 24 hr in NST.
    If this is Tengku's move, then I see him passing the whip to MF to do the makeover since all these clowns resisted TAM's authority and yanked TAM out.
    Good move IMO, but until the ink is dry, what if we get blind-sided by another check-mate move coming up in another 24 hr.
    It happened to PJB coming in and going off, it could happen to MF if someone cries out loud on the cell-phone:crying:

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    From 1997 to 2000, Morten Frost was the BAM's Coaching Director.
    Having seen the worst of politics in Malaysian sport, the job is no longer appealing to him.

The lack of fresh, promising talent, especially in MS, WS and WD, also bothers him.
    In an earlier discussion, Frost had said that a long-term project was the only way to lift Malaysia to the top.
    At least five years were needed to scout, find, develop and nurture new talent before they could be let loose on the professional circuit.

However, the BAM is expecting and demanding high returns in a short time-frame... big wins at the 2014 Asian Games and at least one gold and two silvers at the 2016 Olympics.

There is simply no way a professional like Frost will take such a poisoned bait.
    Not surprisingly, the BAM sweetened this latest offer with a 'total authority' clause.
    In spite of that, Frost has repeatedly declined the job.

In any case, Frost is happily employed with an investment firm in Denmark.
    He heads Client Relations and has a major multi-departmental role.
    The firm has allowed him total freedom to use the tactical, strategic and cultural skills that he honed to perfection during his playing days.

That sounds like a firm led by clever people.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the bosses are badminton fans themselves.
    After all, who can beat a badminton player when it comes to brains? :D

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Brilliant plainspeak, OneToughBirdie!
    This is indeed the unvarnished truth :D

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Was this posted before ? :

Wake up, BAM council! Save badminton by rajes paul
    [​IMG]

Kento Momota of Japan is one of the up-and-coming players at the Maybank Malaysian Open. While countries like Japan, Indonesia and Denmark are moulding their juniors into badminton stars, Malaysia is floundering.

ONE of the highlights in the Maybank Malaysian Open was when Kento Momota of Japan defeated Viktor Axelsen of Denmark in a battle between two former world junior champions in the opening round on Wednesday.
    These youngsters showed class, power and flair. They both definitely have the makings of future stars.
    Malaysia too have Asian and world junior champions in the mix. Unfortunately, the handful of them are still struggling to raise their game at the senior level.
    Why is it that our juniors are struggling while others seem to have got their plans somewhat right?
    Frankly, it’s not that we lack the talents. It’s just that we lack the right people to manage these budding talents.
    Kento and Axelsen’s progress from the junior to the senior level did not happen overnight.
    The national coaching directors of Japan and Denmark – Park Joo-bong and Finn-Traerup Hansen – took some time to have an insight into their shuttlers’ strengths and weaknesses before drawing proper training plans with their coaches.
    The coaching directors also have very good communication with the development team as well as a good support team, who seem to know their job scope clearly as they execute their plans.
    Li Yongbo and Rexy Mainaky are doing a similar job for China and Indonesia respectively.
    All these countries also have a workable system at the grassroots level, one suited to their own demographic and cultures.
    Sadly, this is what’s lacking in Malaysia.
    We still have a fragile coaching and training structure, one that doesn’t have a good strategist leading the way.
    The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), under the leadership of Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Arif, are in a mess because the roles of the coaches and officials are not clearly defined.
    And their plans are just as hazy!
    Even Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin could not resist taking a swipe at the BAM leadership on Thursday, especially for failing to nurture new talents.
    The BAM council are holding their first meeting of the year on Saturday – and herein lies the opportunity for them to make some positive changes.
    Here is what they can do:

• Lessen the burden on Tengku Malaleel by appointing a new Talent Management Group (TMG) director and coaching and training chairman.
    Who can they appoint? Well, there are few former internationals with the right credentials, although they lack experience.
    But the council should not be afraid to throw them into the fray, set KPIs for them to achieve and see if they can deliver. This is, after all, how they do it in the other countries.

• Identify all the potential players and kick start a new 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games programme.
    The council must be bold and name the shuttlers that they think can be turned into world and Olympic champions. And then, invest – time, money and effort – on them.

• Focus on grassroots development. The future is in their hands.
    • Get council members, who are the presidents and secretaries of the State BAs, to play a more active role to revive the sport at the lower level.
    The current sad state of affairs in the sport is not the fault of one man. Every one of the council members is to be blamed.
    The days of just sitting quietly and passively, comfortable with whatever position you have been offered, and letting the rot set in are over.
    Stand up and speak up. And save the sport.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    ...and this one :

Hard work pays, excuses remain just that by starsport editor r. manogaran
    [​IMG]Through sheer hard work and persistence, Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei has reached the pinnacle in badminton and become one of the most successful sportsman the country has ever produced. - FAIHAN GHANI/ The Star

WHAT a weekend it’s been.
    Shuttlers Goh V Shem and Lim Khim Wah gave Malaysians a pleasant surprise with their men’s doubles win on Sunday.
    There was a double dose of the feel-good factor when Lee Chong Wei made it a perfect 10 for himself by winning the Malaysian Open badminton title for the 10th time.
    Let’s hope V Shem-Khim Wah are no one-hit wonders. Malaysia is crying out for a dependable men’s doubles partnership since Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong stormed onto the scene not too long ago.
    And we all know where Kien Keat-Boon Heong are headed - the scrapyard. Yes, the pair are set to be split up or even discarded for good. They’ve been given far too many chances to get their act right but to no avail. Their egos are just too big, I guess.
    So, let’s hope V Shem-Khim Wah do not let success get to them. They have shown that they can mix it up with the big guns and prevail. Keep working hard and keep improving, guys. Don’t be satisfied. Never be satisfied!
    Well, at least Malaysian badminton looks like it has a future in the men’s doubles department.
    Can we say the same about the men’s singles?
    Chong Wei hinted that this may be his last time playing in the Malaysian Open. It was an emotional moment for him when he beat Tommy Sugiarto in Sunday’s final. It was as if he was trying to absorb the whole atmosphere for one final time.
    Malaysian badminton is facing a crisis in the men’s singles department – as well as in the women’s singles and doubles.
    Who is there to take over the mantle from Chong Wei? Who can fly Malaysia’s flag high at every tournament?
    None, thus far. Yes, there were a few but these turned out to be just pretenders to the throne.
    And that’s sad, especially for a nation that prides itself as being one of the heavyweights in the world of badminton.
    Seeing the decline in men’s singles is like watching a repeat of the downfall of the national football team decades ago.
    That’s one path that badminton does not want to go down.
    Football in Malaysia is in such a pathetic state - there are so many wrongs and so few rights.
    It’s sad to see a team, or rather their head honcho, trying to impose his will on everyone, including sports writers.
    You can’t write anything negative about the team or you risk being hauled up, and even banned from covering the team’s training and matches.
    Yes, you are expected to write only good things about them – even if they play badly and lose.
    Another major ego problem here, wouldn’t you say?
    I’ll probably get hauled up for writing this too!
    If your team play badly, that’s what we’ll write. So, grow up and accept it.
    Get your coaches to work harder and your players to be more committed.
    Don’t take it out on us. We are just doing our jobs.
    Besides, the matches are viewed on TV and in the stadium. Even if we don’t give it our honest opinion, viewers and fans will know what transpired and they definitely don’t mince their words online and in social media.
    There is no hiding the truth in the age of the Internet, so stop banning every daily whose reports do not meet your satisfaction because, believe it or not, life is like that.
    You can take criticism and sulk over it, or you can use it as constructive feedback to improve - the choice is yours.
    Chong Wei has, over the years, shown us how far hard work, determination, single-mindedness, vision and passion can take you.
    He has never looked for excuses nor tried to make others a scapegoat for his failures.
    That’s the hallmark of a true champion! Not once has he tried to cover up his own deficiencies by telling off sports writers or banning them from covering his training and matches.
    Learn to win humbly and lose graciously.
    Sports Editor R. Manogaran believes that the only way Malaysian sport will rise above mediocrity is through meritocracy. The writer also wants Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers to stop making senseless statements about going for the English Premier League title and just get on with the job!

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think the Rajes Paul article was posted earlier.

Even the good reporter avoided the 2016 Olympic preparation and looks towards the 2020. Politician will only look forward 4 years max which either re-election or step down.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    politician only looking for own interest.
    TAM is not,that's why he outplayed:D