Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect
    I am probably an intermediate player, this video is 18 months old I was just back from a knee injury, from then till now I have lost 20 pounds and have started moving better, I am playing with my regular partner so any tips with respect to rotations, techniques/flaws would be greatly appreciated. (Pls ignore the music, it is cheesy and I dont have any video editing experience to remove that.) Thanks for watching. I am the bald guy in a marron t shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un5Er82AcCw

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Video is private

3. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect
    Thanks Exert, first time uploading to youtube, made it public.

4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    No problem :) going to watch now

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Sometimes you're slow on getting back on the court when your opponent is clearing it to you after yo smash, you should always have your ready stance and your racquet up, sometimes you have your racquet down and standing like a stick :0, just a suggestion but this isn't entirely right but you should short serve more against a smashing opponent because if you serve high they're just going to kill that shuttle right at you D:, I'm not very good either just this is my perspective.

6. triam

triam Regular Member

IT architect
    Thanks I will keep that in mind,

7. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    No problem :) have fun

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Before the rally really begins, just by looking at the size of your legs, how to wipe the floor with your shoes, your wiggling, and your posture, I already know something good is coming... :)

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ugh. As I missed the last match of 2013 thanks to a particularly persistent cold and some more calf troubles, I decided to tape a bit of 2014's first training session. It doesn't really make anyone look good - slow movement, questionable shot choices, and girly smashes galore, and that's just my problems! :D

Anyhow, for those interested, here it is. Yesterday went much better already, I hope Sunday's matches are back to a decent level (by my standard, at least). Gonna try and tape some of those as well, let's see if there's really a difference or if I just got used to the slow pace :D

[video=youtube;wTsEs6PgzZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTsEs6PgzZA[/video]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTsEs6PgzZA

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ ouch, does Maklike know that you're making White Label look bad with those girlie smashes? :p ;)

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's not his racket, so he could either argue I wouldn't smash quite as badly with one of his toys, or he could decide skipping me when a prototype comes to Europe for testing :D
    I guess it was mostly an issue of timing and commitment (upper body rotation especially) - yesterday they weren't quite as pitiful anymore :D

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Your smash two things, you sliced all in the first 10mins dunno if that was intentional but you losing lots of power if your not catching flush, second, you need to work on preparation for your smash to help concentrate the power, (you do no pause + position). Pause will help with timing problem too

One other thing, I see many players doing this problem. 7.58 you play a flattish clear then just stay in the position of right foot far in front "posing";). He catches you out on forehand side because it's slow for you to defend that side due to you foot position. If you play a flat straight/short clear like that remember burst of speed to jump back into a ready position so you can defend it well. 9 times in 10 if you play that shot it is gonna be put straight back at you really quickly.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks! About the slice - I do a lot of sliced drops, but in doubles, when I smash I really want to hit it fast, so I guess it was unintentional. The timing was because of the 3 weeks break, it was way better yesterday and I hope I won't mistime any or at least very few shots Sunday. I really need to work on my footwork again, your point about me not preparing my smash is spot on, but that is because I usually don't have the time to do that. Gonna do more gym work again, and when my calf&Achilles pain is gone completely more courtwork as well.
    The point about the defense is spot on as well, but that is proving hard to correct as I'm not doing that on purpose. Really have a long list of things to work on, I can only hope I get to do all of it :D

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Double post.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Good luck, coming back after filling your boots at christmas is always hard. I think it may help if you think more about why you are playing your shots and that shot in particular in order to anticipate the reply. That flat/short clear is a good shot to play in the sense that he can't smash it steep and it is hard for him to control a clear back(although he could) so almost you play this to lure him in to a flat drive back whilst you are mid front court. You lured him perfectly but couldn't complete because you were still not ready even though you kinda new what was gonna happen one shot before.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As mentioned before, we had 2 team matches yesterday, and I was able to tape my matches. As we had the luxury of playing with 5 and 6 men respectively, I was only needed in the MD (still not quite recovered from the calf injury). First match was a tight affair, second one a bit clearer, despite me playing with an unfamiliar partner in that one.
    Pretty satisfied with the difference compared to the training vid :D Smashes were actually smashesat times, and the movement was more fluid already.
    Looking forward to getting back to training now. The Blackroll had an astonishing influence on the calf pain! Apparently there's lots of small muscles that can get very tight and painful - and tight calf muscles are always bad for your Achilles! ;)

[video=youtube;xjdmURPYkvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjdmURPYkvE[/video]

[video=youtube;9b8b03iebME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8b03iebME[/video]

#1956 j4ckie, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  17. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=R_6gaESzJcE basically all I'm looking for is am I using my grip right? As I have been trying to break my pan handle habit, I apologize for the angle and the ignorant people who walk on the courts.

#1957 Exert, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  18. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I am the one without the dyed blonde hair with the white and red yonex shirt , incorrect grip as in panhandle.

19. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Your grip is slightly wrong, but its better than before, which will help you to improve on your technique.

20. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member