Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for the advice. As for me lacking explosiveness - I was sick for a week before the exchange, and still have problems with my nose/sinuses, so I'm really not back to form yet. Anyway, we had lots of fun, and I managed to win the very close second game, so we'll have to decide this next year in Bristol :)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just like a Taiwanese mixed doubles player....:D

3. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

Hey! I don't usually post, but I've been following along this thread for awhile now and thought I'd post a video. Most videos I've seen have been friendly games, and I haven't really seen a doubles competition game. Seemed like it'd be nice to change it up a bit.

This is a local tournament that I played in recently. I'm the one in white. Our opponents were better, but we tried our best. Sorry for the shaky camera, I didn't have a tripod so I asked a friend to hold the camera.

[video=youtube;NP_rp3KyX30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP_rp3KyX30[/video]

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Very good game. Very solid technically, the only thing I noticed is that you tried to go crosscourt too often (on defense or blocks/drop shots to the net, the better option is often to push it to the mixed point longline instead). Anyway, great to watch. I've got a tournament coming up and might film a little there to add in a little competition video as well ;)

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    @Shadowdrgn20 - nice video. You and your partner had a strong start. I saw a few points lost when your opponent has a strong backhand and was able to do a cross-court drive. You and your partner seemed to be expecting a drop or drive down the line. But kudos to you...better than me for sure.

6. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

It was a very good game to watch, but I can just about understand why you think they were better. I think in terms of ability there wasn't actually much in it. They certainly had luck on their side though ;)

What made the real difference is that they had the pace when countering and attacking, they were always looking for an opportunity to turn it in their favour. You two seemed a bit more committed to defending rather than seeking for the counter/ weakness in their attack- obviously there were times when you did it well and you won points but If you had done it more it certainly would have been a bit closer.

Easier said than done of course, but I do think if you had a different game plan you may have competed far better- the ability is certainly there!

They looked like a very solid pair, I'd like to go across the Atlantic one day to get a taste of what badminton is like there!

Like J4ckie, i'm playing in a tournament (in Belgium) at the end of the month so i'll be making sure I get it on film. :)

#1486 AimUk, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nice gameplay. It's a strong matchup. Here are some observations I noticed.

1) Serve - you serve to the same point. It's very predictable for the opponent and these opponents are very strong returning serve when you serve to that area. If you have an opponent like that, test the opponent by changing the angle which the shuttle approaches the opponent e.g. slightly outwards. You can then work out the comfort zone of the opponent. Then in the game, you can play to their comfort zone to get a predictable return or play away from their comfort zone to make them uncomfortable. This is about controlling the opponent.

2) return serve - when you were on the right hand side, you always pushed the return to the opponents backhand. Very predictable so their third shot is always going to strong especially with their skill. Put more variation into your return of serve.

3) lifts at the beginning of the game were short - that's why they buried it easier. Later, your lifts looked to be further back so you started getting some returns back. Don't forget variations in lifts as well - hit a lift higher than usual, change the direction a bit

4) So why are you defending so much? They are good on the net. However, as pointed out, on the backhand, you play to the cross court to forecourt a fair number of times which allows the opponent to predict your shot and dominate the net. I must say the men in black are very experienced so I appreciate it's difficult against them.

5) Defense position waiting to receive a smash - it's OK against lower level players but at a game of this level, I think a lower crouch defense and looking to return a smash more in front of you will give a better edge to your game.

6) You look a bit anxious and so a bit tight on your shots. Presumably your good shots aren't getting the penetration you normally get making it harder for your game to free flow.

#1487 Cheung, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;ZsRGvdpjE4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRGvdpjE4M[/video]

Singled out one of the longer rallies near the end (match point for my friend in white, I believe) and made a slowmo (1/4 speed) of it. You can see many details much better, for example how often I waste time by doing a second little step after the split step instead of pushing off immediately. On the other hand, I like my movement on my last 2 shots :)

For anyone taking videos of themselves - take a look at a good rally in slow motion!

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nice work.

0.56s - footwork. Look up "fei bo" in the forum. Flying step will speed you up so fast.

10. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

12. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

[video=youtube;ZP85LaK0_zI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP85LaK0_zI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Nothing major, basically been out of badminton since June ish, been cycling and running loads to lose some of the weight i've put on since stopping at University amongst other health issues. Think i'm down to 87.5kg from 90kg (14st :O) in a month and a half. Trying to lose a bit more but I definitely think my movement is becoming more co-ordinated and I feel fitter, maybe the weight factor but also the muscle coordination is getting there. I do need to start playing some other people too hehe.

Today really focused on trying to splitstep and move quick to the shuttle, i'm a little rusty as I haven't played in such a while but i played 8-10 am singles then 7-9pm doubles with a gym session inbetween, so really trying to whip my ass back into shape!

Any comments as always appreciated, I know i'm a little inconsistent at the moment :confused: Definitely work in progress on the whole. From my point of view, i've seen clear improvements on my last video in terms of court movement, just hoping I can get the practice in before end of the month.

Andy.

13. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Hi Andy,

I know you'll be aware of this but quite a few times you were court playing a backhand when it would have been just as easy to play "around the head". If you're starting from a good base position and the shuttle is coming from near centre then you shouldn't really need to be playing a backhand. This maybe because your racket is held pretty low and the first instinct by this is to move for a backhand. Set up a routine where you hold your racket slightly higher in preparation and skip round for round the head movement. Also as you've been out for a while the first thing to lose is quick footwork.

#1493 coachgary, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  14. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Thanks gary!

Hadn't noticed the racquet head was a bit low, will pick up on this.
    I think it's probably because as you say first thing you lose without court time is fast feet. I'll probably be implementing some plyometrics/ shadowing in the coming week in the hope i'll get that back next.

The major issue is the inital movement from the split step is perhaps a little too slow- that makes me feel like I should be taking the backhand option, I think at current if I was going for the overhead i'd still be taking without being comfortably behind the shuttle. I'm not justifying why I do this, I do need to get the overhead back in action, because it's something as someone with relatively good height I can take advantage of.

15. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Just a little question. Aren't your netposts facing the wrong way? Cause isn't the big end of the foot supposed to be outside of the court and not inside which can be pretty dangerous if you make a step at the net that goes slightly under the net. You could bump into the foot of the net post and stumble or injure yourself I think. Also maybe its just the angle, but the net seems to hang a bit low in the middle of the court. I know a net isn't supposed be totally straight, but it just seems quite low. :)

16. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

chance:

no the net posts of them type are setup correct. They're cheapo ones common in sports centres in uk. probably explains why net hangs a bit low aswell.

Aimuk:

nice playing. Whats your standard? do you have a badminton england grade or know what it would be or national ranking

17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Hey bbird, yeah the camera angle is the main reason it looks wonky, having a wide angle lens at the side of the court makes it seem far worse, especially when the centre point is on the right hand side of the court. I'm usually fussy about nets and I made sure it was as straight as I could pull it, but yes, those posts are right and unfortunately that's the most common type in this county. It should probably be upgraded though as that is a badminton specific hall and there's no need for ones that you can stow away easily.

I've finished university so I haven't been playing as I said, but I'd be playing Dorset county matches next year, provided I get in shape- probably not first team though. Don't have times for a ranking now, but I've beaten players in the top 100 in singles when I played tournaments and i'm playing either C1 or B2 in belgium at the end of the month. Think BE gave me an F ranking based on 3 tournaments for this year, it's a new system and i'm one of those exeptions that doesn't play regular circuits. Doubles is far more of a strength for me though, I just haven't had the chance to get a match up yet ;)

18. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Have been watching many videos of you guys playing now and would like to upload one myself! I´ts a game between me and my doubles partner. We played 6 sets in a row without rest (I believe that this was the fourth) so we were pretty tired. Oh well. [video=youtube;8UW9_BCMTWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UW9_BCMTWM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I´m the guy in yellow.

19. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

One thing I realised is that around the net you should try and lunge more then walking into the net, you are pulling your left leg with you, that what happened to me as well... You should try your left leg extended and try not to bring it with you as you step into the net shot. It just helps you get back into position

20. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

how old are you Signature?

seems pretty solid...