Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. nungquynh

nungquynh Regular Member

banking officer
    I heard from fb that he may or may not participate in the SSF and that is not the ending decision. Hope to see him in the SSF in two weeks later. But, i think he is very tired and he need to rest and relax after all. This year is enought for him, and he will prepare for the next year, by joining to compete two or three tournaments such as: AE, WC and Surdiman cup. That's all.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How can LCW miss the SSF? Hope not,seriously. Without Lin Dan, Cai/Fu and now LCW, the SSF will be an anti-climax. I'd love to see a LCW-Chen Long Final.

3. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    A married man is a different man with somewhat changed priorities Justin. :D

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand but his drive,motivation and hunger for success is much higher than Lin Dan's at the moment. That's why he says his pressure to perform well is greater after marriage to earn milk powder money.:D He also says he's putting his honeymoon on hold which is why it comes as a surprise to me that he would even consider skipping the SSF ( I still cannot believe it).

I should think he can take a short break,which I encourage, after the SSF - it's too important a tournament with high ranking points and attractive prizemoney to forgo. Whatever, I respect his decision, he should know what's best for himself and his family.:)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What else would he want from badminton?

Only the world champs and Olympics. Super series finals, on a relative scale, is not up there.

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Is about the money, money, money
    He need the money,money, money

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Even if he does not play, he can still command sizeable appearance fee.

If money was so important, he would not have withdrawn from Macau Open with the appearance fee and small amount of prize money.

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

If LCW is so worried about money, then perhaps it is HIGH TIME for him to see a FINANCIAL ADVISOR, to learn to invest his winnings properly and wisely instead of splashing out on depreciating assets - namely FAST CARS !! Come on, one or two cars, ok ... 4 or 5 ????

As for milk powder money, hahhaa SELL THE BENTLEY and other cars, and his kids can be fed for LIFE on LOBSTERS ! !:p

More like LCW is TALKING COCK if he really mentioned about milk powder money !! :rolleyes:

#8928 maxout, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, if LCW attends Super Series Final, it is more likely that he will meet CL in the Final. This time he has to make sure that he could beat CL rather than giving more psychology advantage to CL after beaten by CL at HK Open. Not to mention LCW's weakness/es been exploited out once again.

If LCW wants to win 2016 OG, he should be more picky in choosing whether to participate in a tournament or not. So that his weakness will not be easily exploited by CBA. Have a look like LD, he is very picky in choosing which tournaments he wants to participate in, and since there is no other shuttlers who could push LD to the limit beside LCW, his weakness/es is covered. CL might be able to push LD to the limit, but it will be done in CBA HQ, not available for public view, thus LD weakness/es been covered once again. As we all know, it is a very challenging task for LCW to win 2016 OG, since he could only exploit out LD weakness/es when both of them face each other which really rare, on the other hand, CBA has CL or even DPY & WZM who could exploit LCW weakness/es. LCW goes on court, facing LD with list of LD weakness/es from past meeting, while LD has been briefed up by CBA on LCW current performance and weakness/es due to observation facing CL, DPY, & WZM. LD and LCW are both great athlete exploiting out their weakness/es are definitely unlike walk in the park, however if there are more trials, it would lead to some clues.

In my humble opinion, if LCW wants to have bigger chance winning GOld in Rio, he should be more picky for participating in tournaments, let Liew Daren & Chong Wei Feng to participate more, thus facing CL, DPY & WZM more. The more they clash each other, the faster Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng will improve. it will be LCW,Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng vs LD, CL, WZM, & DPY, still better than LCW vs LD, CL, WZM,& DPY. At the end, it would be beneficial for BAM as well. Additionally, the number of backup shuttlers in CBA will create intense inner competition as well, thus senior shuttlers could think of none other than keeps on improving or else they will be sacked up. This training environment is very conducive to the player and to the country generally. BAM will have to create this environment as well, so that Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng will not be slacked off.

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

SS Finals- isnt compulsory to participate if one qualify? If not, need pay USD5,000 penalty.Same goes for SS Premier, at least must participate in promotional activities.SS- must participate a total of 10 including SS Premier. That doesnt leave many that LCW can skip.

11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Indeed. This are the 2 most prestigeous title that are still missing from his belt after several close attempts. Countless critics and opinion has been given and at one point when we thought that he was that near to grab it but at the end, the near was still very closely far and it is that superguy name LD from China whom again and again was superbly responsible to break his and Malaysia heart to see a World and Olympic champion from Malaysia for the first time. Now, other than LD, another guy from his country that was previously in the same batch with Arif has now able to mount a similar level of threat in Datuk quest to become World and Olympic Champion and he is no other than the tall CL.

If we want Datuk to win both of this title then theoritically this are the 2 guys that he must avoid (hoping that they're being upsetly beaten in the earlier round) or beat them in the final. Regardless of what path that Datuk may follow, he still has all the quality to beat them in any occasion equally similar with the quality that both of those player has to beat Datuk . The only exception is that those quality does not exist in those big event especially in the World and Olympic event and this are the issue that he needs to resolve.

SS

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

The most LCW can expect to win by 2013-2014 are a World Championship and Asian Games titles. By 2016, Chen Long will be the NEW DRAGON KING ... LCW and LD will be what PG and TH are today if they persist in playing until then.

If LCW wins the OG2016 - it will be a FLUKE and MIRACLE .... IMHO ...

His time and opportunity has gone and past ... just his bad luck to be born at the same time as LD !! JUST FACE FACT !! STOP DREAMING ... if Malaysia really wants 2016 OG, better start focusing on the next players APART FROM LCW that can take on CL !!

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

SSF MS winner gets USD40K as compared with Macau Open winner USD9K, a paltry sum. Also the ranking points for SSF is considerable and contributes towards ensuring his world number 1 ranking which I understand also earns monetary reward from BAM for every month and year that he does so. Therefore it makes sense for him to skip the Macau Open to better prepare for the SSF.

As for playing Chen Long, and to a lesser extent DuPY and WZM, that cannot be be helped though he can and should be more selective in the tournaments he play except that he is obligated to his sponsors,notably Yonex, to make appearances in SS tourneys. I feel he should make hay while the sun shines, in view of his age catching up and while Lin Dan is temporarily away and practically slowing down, and before Chen Long and/or someone else make it more difficult for him.

If Peter Gade, Lee Hyun-Il, Sho Sasaki and Hu Yun can continue playing their best badminton around 30 years of age , I don't see why such an immense talent as Lee CW cannot do better. Rightly so,he's set his sights on WC2013, Asian Games 2014 and Rio 2016. Wish him all the best.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In a more realistic sense, I've to agree that MAS cannot afford to count on Lee CW alone to deliver the goods,esp OG 2016. Better work harder on other prospects, namely Darren Liew, Chong Wei Feng, and, hopefully,one or two others in the near future. At the same time,the rise of other good MAS players will be required for team championships, an important target for any nation, not just individual titles.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Btw guys, LCW did not say he will continue until 2016 OG. He said until 2014. 2016 is provided his physical condition allows.

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i am surprise that many people think lcw is a money face,lui bin/muka duit
    wakakakakaka

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This is from the BWF rules for the Superseries Finals:-

Annexure E – 1.9 ‘Players who qualify for the BWF Superseries Finals must
    play. Failure to play will be considered a breach of Competition
    regulations and subject to General Competition Regulations 31 Penalties –
    31.2 Withdrawal Offence (US$ 5,000 additional penalty over and above
    normal withdrawal fees). The said player will in addition be expected to
    attend the tournament for a minimum of 2 days and take part in any
    media event arranged by BWF during that time. In addition BWF will have
    the right to consider further penalties after consideration by the
    Disciplinary Committee. BWF have the right to waive the obligation if
    medical conditions prevent travel.’

To clarify any player who fails to play, having qualified for the Finals, for
    whatever reason, (barring retirement), will incur a US$5,000 penalty in
    addition to any applicable $250 withdrawal fee, and the BWF disciplinary
    committee has the power to impose further penalties if they deem it
    appropriate. In ADDITION any player who cannot play will be expected to
    attend the tournament for a minimum of 2 days to take part in any media
    event arranged by BWF during that time.

18. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

In my opinion, Chief Yongbo is looking beyond 2014 to entrench DPY & WZM in top 5 ranking. Only top ranking players will avoid meeting No. 1 & No.2 in tournaments and therefore will give a higher probability to make it to the finals and rake in the points. Once they are up there, its easier to stay there compared with where DPY & WZM is at now. That would probably explain why LD is staying out by "allowing" the younger players to climb faster?

19. laonong

laonong Regular Member

If you analyze the data too hard, the data will confess.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hardly think so - there's no limit for any Nationality in the regular SS/PSS tournaments. LD doesn't have to skip them for any reason that would benefit the other Chinese....also, I don't think DPY will be anything more than a hindrance for any non-Chinese Gold contenders in Rio. The goal will be to get CL and WZM to the highest possible ranking, and if possible get a third guy in (kinda like CJ in London - no danger of him winning a medal, but could possibly tire out someone dangerous).
    That might be DPY, or someone else entirely (they have another 2-2.5 years to find someone more talented ;))