Was Chen Jin cheating?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by bogensaebel, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

i have played with people who abuse the shuttle. Eg. if they think it is too fast just insert the grip into the ring of feathers/threads and twist it round to increase the circumference. Or deliberately ruffle the feathers with the racquet etc etc.
    But manipulating the shuttle as implied may be done at pro level and may be difficult to detect.

Watck LYBs behaviour in the 1990 AE vs Park and Kim, the shuttle became too fast because of the heat and he kept on changing the shuttle as it kept overshooting the baseline.Even LYB is unaware of the tactic of sneakingly manipulating the shuttle.
    I notice that this apparent"manipulation" of the shuttle occurs only when Chen Jin plays Taufik, in other games he doesn't give much attention to the shuttle.this subject is not new, has been brought for years in BC by Taufik fans.
    If international players are doing all these why hasn't an official complaint been lodged with the BWF so that officials can look out for this event. After all an event such as the World's is on TV and can be captured by camera from many angles.Surely it is a serious matter bringing disrepute to the sport. Other than the usual complaints from Ina fans and some Msian ones, have other countries faced such problems?

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Can you please explain how, besides increasing the diameter of the feathers, a shuttlecock speed can be slowed without affecting its flight?
    The diameter across the top of the feathers increases its drag as it becomes larger. Only by bending the feathers outwards, and as a result its diameter increases, can the same shuttle slow its speed because it now becomes a higher-drag projectile.
    BTW, I do provide technical advice to professional players sometimes about shuttlecocks, as some are in the same business through family contacts.

BTW, TH did say that he lost to CJ because the latter played better. I don't recall TH saying anything about CJ manipulating the shuttle.

3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

to be honest i have no clue what you're trying to mean, but never mind.

shuttlecock tampering seems serious enough an offense and if CJ did something like that, it's quite unbelievable that no officials ever caught him at it or could find evidence of his tampering.

and if i was there seeing CJ do something to the shuttle, i still can't be in a hurry to affirm that Yes, CJ's a lowly character for resorting to lowly measures in order to win, because after all i only saw him do what i am now describing as "a strange manipulation" to the shuttle.

and for most of us who claim to be very objective about the players, we have even less need to jump to conclusions so easily and form poor opinions about others without strong evidence. what good does it do us to be opinionated? so far, i only see people getting worked up (and i get worked up reading all the comments of these 'worked-up' people) over what are really just speculations. of course, undeniably there are the ones who by nature enjoy bad-mouthing, but we don't really want to talk to these people, do we?

#143 Anatolii, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I've only read part of the thread but I agree with taneepak. Any manipulation of the shuttle on the court with one hand would be very hard to control. The shuttle would twist a lot afterwards.

I would be more inclined to think it's clever mind games by CJ to disrupt Taufik's rhythm. What I would do is to 'pretend' to manipulate the shuttle, then put more energy into the rally to win the point. Seeds of doubt get sown into Taufik's mind and then hopefully mistakes start flowing.

The referee having a word with CJ may only be 'stop messing around'.

Mindgames are also played by the crowd - cheering at lost points, disruption during the serve etc. - all to disrupt players concentration.

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    if you read my earlier posts

i didn't even want to mention anything about chen jin's manipulating shuttle

it is purely speculation even though the commentator mention something like that

it was until one member who was there and confirm that to us

of course if this member is someone who like to bad mouth i won't believe a word he said

unless you can find a reason this member kming is a bad mouth, is a liar then

i will take back what i have posted earlier. fair?

i am here not to discredit chen jin or up taufik's balls

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

i dont play tournaments and don't play to win at all costs, so I don't know how to manipulate the shuttle to my advantage

on the sly. But have you experienced buying tubes of shuttles which are too fast? How do you slow them down to a reasonable speed? Twisting tip of feathers as mentioned, increasing the circumference of the ring,fluffing up the feathers etc? are there more subtle ways (which can even escape cameras,spectators,I mean unbiased ones,or officials?
    A person is innocent until proven guilty or is the target of complaints from a wide array of sources and when accused of sth without proof needs to have his name cleared. Years back when many had yet to join the forum, the forum was full of postings from biased members accusing Bao of manipulating feathers when he played Taufik, so it is nth new.

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    A good theory no doubt.

However... At least a large part of the people posting here are 100% sure that Taufik is
    1) Low enough to resort to match delay tactics
    2) Easy to be fooled by other players.

for point 1) I've never seen Taufik complain when he played and lost to LCW, another tip top fit retriever. Why complain when playing CJ?

for point 2)... fool with the Master Taufik? That would be more difficult than fooling a live telecast me thinks

#147 jug8man, Aug 30, 2010
  8. logatech

logatech Regular Member

for point 1) This is the final of the world championships. T definitely wants to win. And delaying a match in this way is allowed by the rules. Now, how come no other players ever complained about ChenJin manipulating shuttles? It is logically possible that ChenJin only uses this when playing against Taufilk, but this does not make sense.

for point 2) Yes, Taufik can be fooled easily, not by me, but by any top players

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Perhaps if you request for some coaching lessons he will oblige you.

10. logatech

logatech Regular Member

You don't get the truth when someone swears that he is telling you the truth. You need the proof. Yes, these are just some thoughts. I can ask, is someone an idiot? I don't have proofs, but I believe that he is an idiot. You already have the conclusion before discussing it, and it seems to me that it will not bring up any health discussion in this way.

#150 logatech, Aug 30, 2010
  11. logatech

logatech Regular Member

Beside your quick and numerous posts, can you please kindly answer my question for you? Thanks

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

A poll would be interesting.

Not to decide anything or pass judgement...

But just to see / find out the forum members opinion on the whole matter. Just a suggestion.

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Forgive my unintended rudeness. Please point out which question are you refering to.

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    you are a player, taneepak i suppose and also a feather expert adviser

maybe in your group of players they are all friendly type

and you may know your trade in designing and giving expertise advise on feathers

but you don't know what happen is a court of war

when one player tries to outwit, outplay, outsmart their opponent

for a couple of canned drinks they will do anything to win including manipulating the shuttle.

so for your question i suggest you pm to those who understood what i posted

15. logatech

logatech Regular Member

1. Why no other players ever complained about CheJin manipulating shuttles during ant matches?
    2. Can you give more details (or instructions) that how you manipulating a shuttle without being spotted by close examination of naked eyes?
    Thanks

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

He's the shuttle expert, racket expert, and many other expert.

He should be teaching us the exact a-z variety of methods to manipulating shuttles, no????

17. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

If CJ didn't do it during the match, why do you bring it up?
    I'm not new to badminton but never spend time to play dirty tricks.

18. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

*chuckles* i read your posts.

on a different note, i'm sorry if kming read my previous post and reckoned too that i was suggesting that his word was unreliable. i merely said that i wouldn't brand someone guilty unless i knew exactly what he did with the shuttle.

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

OIC.

1. A good point. To catch a thief you need to be equally as sharp as a....... Besides, half the top players are his country men. Who else are capable to realize it save a few. I wonder what Gade thinks after he saw that complaint by TH. He looks perplexed on tv.... no? or is it just me again?

2. Since you asked s nicely. I know it is easy to crush the 'rings' around the feather base to make it faster. That's very easy to do unnoticed. Brushing the feathers to spread them i heard makes it slower.

I'm not an expert. PBm should be better to confirm that

20. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I'm quite surprised that some of us don't know that breaking the feathers can slow the spped of the shuttle......
    In France it's very common to do that, and if the both players are okay ,we do it even during official matches !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.