Power Overall

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ilostmybrain, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Hello everyone

I've been playing for quite a while now, and i always feel...rather weak, my smashes usually get the job done (but it's usually against people who can barely play), when i play with people who are significantly stronger, my smash is rather...pathetic compared to there's. Also, it is not just my smashing power, but i also try to aim for the power in my legs, i'm not the strongest singles player around so....

Here is what i have been told and currently doing...

For about 2-3 months, I have been doing around 200-300 push ups a day, around 80-100 bench dips, and 50 starjumps, and 30 by 30 (30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest) of chinese foot work and around 15-30 minutes of skipping rope a day. Oh and the wrist curls with the dumb bells.

Just tell me, should i be doing more? Are any of these exercises rather useless and i'm wasting my time? Etc....

P.S, i'm currently 15 and I can do around 50-90 push ups without stopping, is that good, average or rather bad?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

can you easily clear baseline to baseline?

3. ilostmybrain

Student
    Yup, of course lol, I'm an Ontario B-C level player

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    This could be one of several things, but these are just guesses
    Poor Technique - I don't know how good Ontario B-C is though
    Overtraining - if you are doing all these exercises per day then you should maybe think about doing them every other day to give your muscles time to recover and build.
    Relaxation - Make sure you are very relaxed up until the point of contact with the shuttle, muscles don't work as effectively when you tense up. If you are trying too hard to make power then you will lose power.

And the push-ups in one go 50 is good, but 50-90 is a wide range.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah, in that case, it's your stroke technique and your string tension that you have to optimize. Search in the technique forum for some YouTube videos on how to smash better, especially the one by Fu Haifeng.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah you need to leave 48 hrs in between exercising the same mucle group to allow to repair also feed your muscles with protien from certain foods or shakes directly after your work out. I have seen teenage girls with next to no muscle bulk smash hard so technique is important. Before you damage yourself over exercising why not book one lesson with a decent coach and get him to ok or correct your Technique. If your technique is wrong you would be better of spending your time correcting that.
    P.s where abouts do you do your chinese footwork? it totally cracks me up.(sorry not helping i know)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIJYKdeOHY&feature=related

7. ilostmybrain

Student
    Heh, i usually do it at home, or during training

8. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Something I see with certain people at my club, they try to smash purely on technique. Ofcourse this is great when you need to smash 10 times in a row and have long games and rallies, but sometimes (for example when somebody hits you with a crappy high serve in a single game) you just gotta smash it so hard they get scared of it.

Put some anger and raw power in it, forget about technique (if you manage to put some in without holding back on raw power it's even better). I have only been playing badminton for about 4 years now but my smashes (as is comes to power) are equal or better when compared to those at my club who have been playing for over 15 years. My placement may not be as accurate, but when needed, I manage to make the shuttle hit the ground on their side of the net almost always when I get a good chance to smash, with almost no technique, just raw power which want to smash a hole in the ground on the other side of the net.

9. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Overtraining is definitively a concern here. Don't forget that the "limiting factor" to your performance on court is not your physical fitness (it seems you are already pretty fit anyway) but your technique, tactical awareness etc so you need to make sure you get enough rest between your workouts and also between the time you workout and the time you play badminton. Professonals usually recomment at least 4 hours rest between off court workouts and on court badminton training.

How many times per week do you play? I suggest you workout between 2-4 times per week (off court) max and focus mainly on performing well (i.e. being rested and focussed) and getting quality time when you are on court.

Last thing: doing series of more than 20 reps does very little to improve strenght and power. You might want to change the way you workout by using a bit more weight and doing less repetitions.
    Take a look at this article for badminton-specific fitness training. It might be a little advanced for you but it could give you a few ideas: http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/building-badminton-athletes/

Good luck
    Mathieu

10. indrato

indrato Regular Member

50 Push up in one go? woow, it meas i am really WEAK. I can only do 15 max. Ahahaha well i am not surprised because from i was a kid i am only play computer games never do physical training, only play football a little.

I believe your strength is quite good, so it means your technic is lacking, or perhaps smash placement is not good.

11. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    technique technique technique.
    don't worry about overtraining, lot of national junior players in Asia train AT LEAST 6hrs a day, EVERY DAY.

12. thejym

thejym Regular Member

It sounds to me like you are in pretty good shape. Then again, most 15-year-olds have a good amount of energy. Having coached my 13-year-old brother for years, I can tell you that you're really better off focusing on technique in the upcoming future. Try to find a coach or self-learn, but really focus on technique and be VERY picky with yourself. The sooner you get things as close to perfect as they can, the sooner your practicing will really be helpful.

My simple reasoning is this: if you practice the wrong technique for years, and you decide to learn the proper technique... you'll pretty much lose a lot of the feeling and you will have to develop a new feeling from scratch. Why not just learn this in the beginning, so that every minute of practice after this will improve your power, consistency, and accuracy?

Here's a video that should help you improve your smash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ&list=PLCF9214C6074730BE&featur e=mh_lolz

[video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ&list=PLCF9214C6074730BE&featur e=mh_lolz[/video]

I spent a lot of time with my brother working on his strokes, and I will still continue to do so despite most people saying that his technique is very "good". "Good" can always be improved to "great". "Great" can get better. I guarantee you are physically stronger than him, but he will give you a good run on court and hit as hard or harder than you.

P.S. Players in Asia do train six hours a day, but the six hours doesn't involve running the whole time. They spend a fair amount of time refining technique, like net shots, serves, or just doing more stationary shots. Just to put that out there... take this to mean whatever you wish ;)

13. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    1)The players on the national teams are under the supervision of high level coaches and physical therapists, who put a lot of time into planning their practice sessions in order to avoid/manage fatigue and overtraining.

2)They DO practice their technique quite alot and they DO have some routines that are close to stationnary or that have lower intensity compared to match play (China team training to hit the tape with net shots, low movement involved; service, reception, third shot for doubles players; stick smashes with the danish team, we all saw those routines with national teams).

3)They gradually build up to attain that high volume of practice per day

4) Most of them don't have a lot of obligations outside the court as they are fulltime/professional players: No school (or special schools adapted to their training schedule), no work etc for them which makes it much easier to recover.

5) They also often split their training in 2: 3 hours in the morning, recovery and 3 hours in the afternoon which makes it much more managable (most of us can't because we have other obligations during the day).

6) In order to play for those national teams, you need to be selected which means you have a high tolerance to this training volume and very high levels of fitness already (and talent obvioiusly) but it does not mean it's the case for everybody on the forums. It's like if you told everyone to smash 90% of the time from the baseline in singles because Lin Dan could do it when he won the Begin olympics.... just does not make any sense.

and lastly, the asians training philosophy is to train alot, but it does not mean that they can't suffer from overtraining and overuse injuries: Look at Lee yong Dae who had a badly injured elbow in his early twenties, those types of injuries are partly caused by overuse because he trained alot and did not recover enough.

So yes, it's my opinion that overtraining is a concern, you can refer to my previous post for my recommendations and if you disagree you can just bring some reasonable arguments to your point rather than laugh about what I (or thejym) wrote...

Mathieu

#13 Mathieu, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
  14. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

Wow... you make me feel fat now LOL I wish there was coaching here in Guelph :p
    your fitness level is amazing imo

And I agree to the people's comments above^ allow your body to recover in between days.

15. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Overtraining is a physical, behavioral, and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual's exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness. Overtraining is a common problem in weight training, but it can also be experienced by runners and other athletes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

Training the same muscles every day, 7 days per week is a form of overtraining, you don't need to have a Master's degree in exercise physiology to understand that. Beneficial changes (from physical training) occur during REST days, if you don't REST, you won't get those beneficial changes. I could go into a more detailed explanation but it seems your perception of training is simply flawed so I won't bother.

I don't know what sports you are talking about... but I have seen training schedules of professional football, hockey and badminton and they never have more then 2 periods of work per day (1 in the morning and 1 in the evening) and they always or almost always have 1 full rest day per week (or at least half a full rest day). In terms of working out, they never train the same muscle groups two days in a row and they rarely (not to say NEVER) exceed 12 trainings per week (6 daysX2 trainings) and they are professionals so they focus ONLY on their sports as opposed to most people here. Those are just FACTS so your opinions or silly jokes won't change anything.

Once again, please try to have reasonable arguments in your posts rather than being disrespectful...

#15 Mathieu, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
  16. wjxmonkey

wjxmonkey Regular Member

footwork is everything for us amateur,u can't get a higher level without that,we usually do 30 round without a break
    (run to the four corner points as a round ) for three times as our warm up,that works

17. urameatball

Photographer
    you're absolutely right, he obviously ceased to make progress and has even began to lose strength and fitness... 'ilostmybrain' is obviously overtraining because his posts clearly layout those symptoms. my mistake. How could I have possibly missed that.

wjxmonkey's 30round footwork regiment is roughly twice as hard as your 30second footwork drill. Even though I do the same drills as wjxmonkey for WARMUP!!!! I suggest you don't do that because you're already overtraining. you'll only get worse trying to copy myself or wjxmonkey.

I know what you're thinking. wjxmonkey's warmup is already more intense than your actual training, shouldn't you increase your training intensity? answer is NO, you're already training past your physical capabilities and any more would result is a decrease in performance.

/SARCASM

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol. Where are you getting this stuff? Please be careful with your claims you are basically trying to encourage a 15 year old boy to push to the limits of his muscles everyday then take an ice bath(ice baths by the way are not proven to help) and push harder the next day.

19. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

I find your ignorance quite funny :) You obviously know nothing about the human body. Here's how exercise works:
    By exercising you destroy muscle tissue, when it repairs it grows back but this time there is more of it than last time. It can only grow back in rest periods.
    So if you overtrain basically all you're doing is destroying your muscles and reducing strength.

20. urameatball

Photographer
    That was simply an example of how the body can be pushed MUUUUUUUUUUCH harder, and that ilostmybrain is ABSOLUTELY NOT overtraining. Sorry you mistook it as a suggestion for a 15year old.

Lets put things into perspective. someone doing a 5k jog can obviously do it daily and improve your overall fitness by doing so. Whereas if you run a 40+k marathon, doing THAT daily will not only be bad for your muscles, but for your overall physical health (hence, overtraining).

So let me ask you this, is ilostmybrain's training regiment more similar to a 5k jog, or a marathon run?

I personally consider his exercise regiment to be fairly light and comparable to a warm-up exercise for competitively players. If you feel that's overtraining, then good luck with that.