Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Nadzmi said he did not want to stay on as BAM president but was persuaded to continue by the affiliates. Thus implying his popularity. I then offered another point of view (called opinion) that the affiliates wanted him to stay on because of the Olympics trips reward. Nadzmi himself said the trips are a reward. That s a fact. It is not slander. The point is there are other options of support. With that kind of money, if MAS support is the key objective, it s more effective to get tickets for a big group of MAS students based in UK specially trained to provide synchronised cheering like what was seen in AE. Bear in mind Andrew Kam was asked by some continental representatives to stand for the previous BWF election but who shot him down? Note that Nadzmi said he s LIKELY to not defend his BAM position suggesting he will give it up only if he gets on the BWF pedestal. Right now he has a foot in each door. That s called power-clinging. You may not be aware but your opinions are so high ground they naturally attract some flood treatment.

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Have a Poll on Nadzmi

I think we should have a poll on "Should Nadzmi vacate his seat in BAM". Then everyone would have the benefit of getting a clearer picture of at least what BCers want/feel about this matter, without the need of 'accusing' or being 'accused of slandering'. :cool:

If anyone agrees on this suggestion, pls voice out.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    where is the credibility of these post when u cant spell the name of the nadzmi correctly???

4. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    I agree to Pakito's suggestion

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It is not appropriate to put someone's reputation to a poll and I don't think this is badcentral's purpose.
    Anyway, if there is a poll, I will vote "yes". Hehe:D

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Who are the BCers to set up a "Kangaroo Court"? Are you qualified or just a lynch mob? Let it be, and just allow the tides of fortune to take its course.
    If he is half as "guilty" of all the heinous "crimes" some BCers are accusing him of, then it will be a matter of time before he is sacked. Now, don't tell me he is so powerful that he is immune from getting the boot. Have a little respect for the country. Malaysians, that is the greater majority and certainly not the tiny frustrated minority BCers group here who bear the Nadmzi grudge, are smarter than you think. No one is indispensable.
    From a more international perspective, he has at least gained the respect of two continental organizations to be approached for the post of BWF president. Now, you think these two organizations are fools? Or is it the other way around? The mirror can play tricks with your sanity, or is it insanity?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Taneepak, you are too innocent.

I don't quite think an invitation should be taken at face value. With invitations and nominations to such posts, a person would garner the support first for the invitation - then announce intention publicly.

So if it was me going for a political position, I would identify my political friends, develop relationship further with them. Later, I would say over a dinner, "Hey, I think I will try for the political position. Any support from you because we know each other so well now?"

Then, by due process, those friends will "invite" the person to the political post.

Another method would be the A-B-C method. B wants to move into position occupied by A. B will cosy himself up to A. Then A will ask C to invite/nominate B for candidacy to the higher position.

Please note that these are alternative hypotheses from a more open perspective...:)

#787 Cheung, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, this is one way of looking at it.
    However, I have a hunch that badminton has now taken a more global perspective with more countries, including some surprises, producing quality players. This is perhaps due to a more business-oriented approach to running the BWF.
    Dr Kang Young Joong will be at the post of president for close to 8 years by the time he steps down in 2013. Kang runs the BWF like a business, which is not surprising considering that he is a businessman.
    Prior to this most past presidents were either ex-players or local badminton officials with a more narrow focus. The past 7 years have brought the spread of higher quality badminton and to more countries more than the previous 100 years put together. Now, when you have a good recipe for success you will want to keep it.
    Nadmzi fits the bill, unless he is "guilty" as charged by some of our BCers with all sorts of pillage and corruption as well as stealing the "kitchen sink".
    The BWF president is elected by the 5 Confederations on a voting system, with both the Asian and European Confederations having almost all the votes to select the president. The president of the Asian Confederation is a Japanese and the European Confederation is Paul-Erik-Hoyer. Now you have to judge for yourself whether Nadmzi will contest without the support of these two King-makers or whether they can be "bought".
    These two giants are not like the African and the Pan-Am (the US being the biggest) Confederations, whose total votes are too small to count and may be worth less than a Malaysian dollar only if there is a value.
    Nadmzi has demonstrated that he can raise funds, the only "currency" that powers the "universe". We do not want another Sir George Thomas who hogged all the headlines but ran the BWF like his own club.

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Chill Out

Oh .. so finally you do admit that you are inclined to running BAM like a business. :D

After all, it's not that this BCer court have the power to sack your poor old Nadzmi. It's just a poll. What are you afraid of? The general consensus?

If Razif, Punch, Elyas Omar, Misbun (his resignation speaks louder than words), Eddy Choong have voiced out their minds, why can't BCers do so? That's why a poll is the right thing to do instead of all these 'talk till the cows come home'. Yes BCer has no power to do anything to Nadzmi anyway. It's the Exco Members. So chill out. :cool:

Politicians and businessmen are interfering too much for their own political agenda. A badminton body representing the country should not be politicised - sport is for everybody.

And lastly, what about Azman Ujang? Is he talking kok also? I rest my case.

#789 Pakito, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

If you believe so much in this guy, you must at least get his name right. I believe his name is Nadzmi, not Nadmzi which is unpronounceable. If he has to raise funds, he may not be good enough. Dr Kang has not to raise funds; he just dips into his own pocket. How do you know for sure Asia and Europe are the ones who have approached him? Aren t you assuming or speculating unless you can quote your source? Isn t there Oceania, big in approach, small with votes?

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    its only o.1mm different between ignorant and innocent
    so on ignore list once again,hehe

12. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    wake up

Ignorant or innocent, it's time to wake up.:D

wake up.jpg

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ah!must be the one in pink!

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    That would be a good idea and there's no harm done

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There are many ways to manipulate a poll and it can end in a farce.
    A truer reflection on how BCers will vote must be based on all Bcers, and not just those who have a hatchet to chop someone. There are 80,297 Bcers who are members, according to this website. For such a poll to represent the "voice" of BCers any poll result must receive more than 50% of 80,297 votes.
    Do you think any poll will make sense here? It will be a huge joke and a typical example of missing the forest for the trees, with a handful of sick trees claiming to represent the Amazon forest!

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Well, herein lies the difference between you and me. You can fuss all day over a comma here and a semi colon there, but miss out on the big picture. That is why we have the ruled and the rulers, the foot soldier and the generals.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Taneepak brings up some very interesting observations. It has made me realise that there is actually something that the BCers can do. After all, it is the money we fans all over the world spend that makes the game a sound commercial prospect and allows the associations to exist and flourish. So we have every right to be critical or appreciative, and make the force of our feelings count.

All BCers who are familiar with BAM, Malaysian badminton, the national and regional setup and selection processes can help here.

We can do an informal review and performance audit of BAM's performance over the past 15-20 years, right here.

Here are some parameters I propose. There are possibly more, or these can be refined. I hope many people here who know much more than I about MAS badminton will give us their input.

Draw a timeline of important/key events and decisions/announcements involving BAM and Malaysian badminton as a whole. Begin with around 1990 and progress to the present.

Identify (wave) patterns of performance peaks and troughs, and measure these patterns against expected performance values. For example, backup squad of WD over the timeline period; how often they have made it past QF stage, SF stage Finals stage, in GP, GPG, SS respectively. Next step: how many have made it to the elite squad, and how many have fallen off the radar. This will give you the average performance graph, and you can see if it has a divergent trend (improved or deteriorated or stagnated) over time.

Coaches history and performance metrics. Year-over-year comparison of how many coaches were employed at various stages, and how many coaches were rotated or changed or removed. This will give an indication of (a) stability and (b) dependability. This graph can then be overlaid over the performance graphs of the squads (above) to find the correlate.

Grassroots programmes implementation: measured by the success rate of identifying the best talent available and pushing it up the ladder, while providing whatever type of support is required for the talent to make it safely to the next level. How many have fallen despite promising greatness? How many have made it at the next level? Difficult to measure, but we can try.

Region-wise assessment of health. How many coaching and training centres affiliated to or registered with the national body existed in 1990; 1995; 2000; 2005 and 2010. In each milestone year, how many potential students were submitted to the national body for state-level players, and how many were absorbed by the national body for central training.

Support staff growth and improvement: how many full-time physical trainers, physios, head coaches, assistant coaches, and administrative staff were accounted for in each milestone year in each region. Ditto for the national body.

Backup and Elite squad migration: how many players have dropped out to practice elsewhere? A year-over-year graph will show a historical trend. This can be overlaid with coaches’ history and performance metrics to ascertain if management of both assets was a significant factor.

Regeneration: How many new players successfully made it to the backup/elite level in each milestone year; how many players dropped off the backup/elite level in each milestone year. Is there a divergent trend in the graph?

There's other stuff like budget allocation to signify prioritization, and efficiency of utilization of funds measured as a function of the results achieved.

I am sure every national association has this data, and has probably done the same reviews we would attempt here. But we do not know their (BAM's) results, or their observations/conclusions. Maybe a "transparency" issue...

Hopefully, we can put together enough parameters and data to draw a fairly accurate picture of where MAS badminton stands: has it measurably improved in real terms? Has it deteriorated? Has it stagnated? And finally, it will also tell us where the management of the game has failed or succeeded.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

If you really think highly of a person, you will take the trouble to at least get the name right. The fact that you couldn't ( even after five posts!) indicates you are using Nadzmi as an opportunity to flaunt your hot air balloon which promptly caught fire and quickly crashed down to earth. You can white lie but you cannot fly.

19. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    At least 50% of 80297 votes?

Are you sure, taneepak?

What makes you think all bcers reads the same stuff over here?

Some are here for buy and sell thread etc etc

You are just blowing some hot air here :D

#799 pBmMalaysia, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Any poll or election must be based on some sort of registered members or voters. Like any election, some don't vote, some cast invalid votes, and some cheat. There is no alternative to a recognized list. Here BC has a registered roll of 80,297 eligible votes or is this an invalid roll that serves one purpose but to be excluded for other purposes? That would be double standard, which will make BC a laughing stock.
    Also the larger the base, the higher the credibility; the lower the base, the more sinister it will appear.
    Don't you agree?