'U'-shaped grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by airsteins, Sep 3, 2008.

1. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

I have been re-stringing my own racket for a while now.
    Something that has been on my mind recently is: Are the u shaped grommets on Yonex rackets really necessary?

I need to replace one on my racket, and was wondering what problems would be caused if i changed all of the u shaped grommets for normal ones...

I am struggling to find anywhere in the UK who sells the u-shaped grommets.

Thanks

2. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    This should be in the Stringing Techniques & Tools section.

You can buy the U-shaped grommets at Mybadmintonstore for a cheap price with free shipping.

4. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Not necessary but good for stringing at high tensions especially with thin strings. The U provides a more gentle curve for the string. Regular grommets will often get worn or cut and the string will sit on the edge of the drilled hole. This may increase string breakage.

I get mine from mybadmintonstore.com

5. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    If I were to design the perfect racquet, I put a lot of U shaped grommets on~ it just prevents the string from tearing through the regular one and then damaging the frame!

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I only manage to have 6 u-shaped grommets on the bottom and 5 on the top of the frame. The yonex MP series has the best frame design with the built in rounded frame holes

7. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

The U-shape grommet I bought from MBS is a bit narrow, after the racket is strung I see a small portion of the tube hung out from the hole.

8. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    This happens because not all hole spacing are consistent. From what I've seen, sometimes this is because of different design but sometimes it is from slight variation in production.

If you find the string is catching tight because of the "hung out" portion, you may need to modify it or stop using it. Sometimes the odd fit still works but just looks funny.

If you are stringing it yourself, you can "cheat" a bit for the U grommets that are too narrow. Use a sharp utility knife and cut the U in half. The unsupported section is minor and in the middle. IMO, the main protection and function of the U is for the sharp transition at the hole edge so this modification won't affect it.