Misbun Sidek, a great player?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by sonnymak, Mar 31, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let us keep this thread for Misbun Sidek

This should be addressed to cooler for bringing in LCW into this thread.
    I was just correcting his error in his post. :):):)

#41 chris-ccc, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

cooler is flexible however you insist on the strict observance of the specified thread. In the LCW fan thread, when others talk about LD, LYB how come I dont see you with your 'This thread is for LCW's fans'?

Lets be consistent, shall we? And this is after all a Misbun Sidek's thread. :);)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Misbun Sidek has lost his record of holding 6 consecutive MAS National titles

Correct ... Because cooler usually insisted on bringing Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei into all threads in Badminton Central, BCers cannot help but to comment with his 'flexibility'.

My comment here is that Misbun Sidek has lost his record of holding 6 consecutive MAS National titles, which cooler thought Misbun remains holding it.

:):):)

4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Thats what makes this forum interesting. Discussions can expand into another sub topic or various sub topics. As long as we leave our those vulgarities, I believe we are ok.

:)

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Folks, this sort of exchange is eating into my few hours of year-end free time!
    Is it that difficult to stay away from addressing the poster rather than the post? :(

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    r u the new forum moderator?
    i did brought up lcw but a point was made in reference to misbun, so it was NOT off topic. Here is my main point, LCW, like misbun, won all his significant titles on home soil. That's was my real reason for posting earlier.

When did i talked about LD here?
    My first post here is #38, WHILE YOUR FIRST POST IS #3, AND U WERE THE FRIST ONE WHO TALKED ABOUT LCW:rolleyes:

#46 cooler, Dec 28, 2008
  7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Chong_Wei

can u count them for me:confused:
    if wiki is incorrect, be my guess to make the correction.

#47 cooler, Dec 28, 2008
  8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

From wikipedia:
    Despite Lee's recent difficulties in international play, he recorded his seventh consecutive victory at the National Badminton Grand Prix Final in Kedah on December 12, 2008, defeating Chong Wei Feng 21–11, 21–13, thus breaking the record of six consecutive titles set by Misbun Sidek.

As for the Malaysia Open title,
    Lee Chong Wei has only won it for 4 times (04, 05, 06, and 08). He still has plenty of work to do if he's to match Wong Peng Soon's record of 8 MAS Open titles.

As for Misbuk Sidek, he won the Malaysian National Championships 6 times, a record which had been beaten by his disciple as the quote in the wikipedia suggested. I don't think Misbun himself had won any Malaysia Open titles, let alone 6 titles ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Open

However, Misbun's brother, Rashid Sidek won the titles from 1990-1992.

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Just a reminder, perhaps you should re-read that wikipedia link you posted?

Even if Misbun Sidek had won the MAS Open titles 6 times (when in fact he has none at all), Lee Chong Wei will have to win the titles 2 more times to equal that "false record" since Lee clearly won it only for 4 times (and not 5 times as suggested by your post) by just doing a simple counting of the record in the wikipedia ;)

In case I am wrong on Misbun Sidek's Malaysia Open record, perhaps abedeng can correct it for me. But at the moment, Misbun Sidek had 0 MAS Open title, and not 6 as suggested by cooler.

If you are referring to the MAS National Championships, then surely, chris_ccc's post is absolutely correct and spot on:) Lee Chong Wei will be going for his 8th National title next year :rolleyes:

Unless of course, I have problems in my counting or the wikipedia is incorrect ;)

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

4,5,6 etc, we all counted wrong but my point was, lcw and misbun's titles are similar, won mostly at home.

#50 cooler, Dec 28, 2008
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2002 World Masters Games: Everyone said Misbun Sidek is a 'Great' Badminton player

Let us return to talk about Misbun Sidek. :)

I had to opportunity to watch Misbun playing in Melbourne, Australia, when he arrived here to participate in the 2002 World Masters Games.

Every participant at the Games said that Misbun is a 'Great' Badminton player.

Yes... Whatever we think or say is usually influenced by others. But sorry, I just cannot stop debating with BCers who think that Misbun is not a 'Great' player.

:):):)

#51 chris-ccc, Dec 28, 2008
  12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I guess each ppl has their own standards. If judged solely by the number of major titles such as World Championships, Olympics Gold, Thomas Cup; in that case, not only Misbun Sidek is not a "Great" player. Some other players who are fans' favorites like Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen, etc; will fall under this category too. They had yet to win "the big titles".

Even Morten Frost Hansen had yet to win any single WC or Thomas Cup during his years. Well, he did won 4 AE titles, which several ppl here have resevations on. Because players like Mohd Hafiz Hashim (considered a goner long long time ago) and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (considered a history) had also won this yearly title....;) Can we say they are "great" players as well because they had won the All-England title? Hmm...

I guess 4 is much much better than 1 that those MAS players won eh? So, we can safely say that Morten Frost Hansen is a great player, whereas, his compatriots, and Misbun Sidek unfortunately, don't make the cut.

#52 badMania, Dec 28, 2008
  13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

How can Misbun be considered a great player when we compare him against the likes of Yang Yang, Han Jian, Morten Frost during their playing days?

Dont know about you, I believe to be considered great one must have em' major titles. Or else we are gonna have every Tom, **** and Harry in that great category.

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Peter Gade, I think bagged the AE in 99'.

Frost's 4 AE titles. Misbun got 0 AE.

Hafiz Hashim & KKK/TBH, well, ever heard of Blackburn Rovers in the PL or Greece in Euro2004?

Would love to put everyone and their family members into that 'great' category but we need to draw the line somewhere, right?? Or else may as well include my kampong champion, Pak Busu bin Ali Baba who regularly win my kampong harvest cup. ;)

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Greatness is a very subjective...

I think Misbun isnt a Great player so is morten frost on the world standard.

Pak Busu bin Ali Baba is a great player on his kampong standard but not even a decent player on world stage.

Misbun is a great player for Malaysia but not the world.

my2cents lol!

#55 SibugiChai, Dec 28, 2008
  16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To ban cooler from Badminton Central ???

:D:D:D Haha ... If I were to be one of our forum moderators, you would have been banned.

It's not because that you are a avid LIn Dan fan, but it is because you despise so many other non-CHN players who are trying to make our beloved Badminton as an international sport.

That is the issue. :p:p:p

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

who are those non-chn players that i have so wrongly accused ?
    I even thot misbun earned more malayian open titles than he had actually won.

#57 cooler, Dec 28, 2008
  18. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Grow a pair, man.

Although your post was not directed to me, but I just can't stand your lameness.

If only you know how lame your post is.... Too bad, that badminton will forever be recognized as a "SISSY" sport around the world except for Asia... due to some sissy looking players and fans, if you don't believe me, just compare some of your so-called "non-CHN players who are trying to make our beloved Badminton as an international sport" with players like Beckham, Federer, Nadal, and those who actually look like a sportman, and not like a bunch of sissy whimpy high school kids.:rolleyes:

#58 bananakid, Dec 28, 2008
  19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Please don't call our beloved Badminton a 'SISSY" sport anymore

Sorry... but please don't call our beloved Badminton a 'SISSY" sport anymore.

(yes, it's off-topic... but I just couldn't resist replying) :):):)

#59 chris-ccc, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, my bad then. Indeed, Peter Gade had won the AE once...still the same as Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong; the so-called Blackburn Rovers and Greece of badminton :eek:

Not to mention he's still missing the elusive Olympics Gold and WC title that our dear Taufik Hidayat had won. So, I am afraid despite the fact that Peter did win the AE once, the standards will still judge him not as a "great" player, similar to Misbun Sidek. It still does not change the conclusion of my previous post.